SASS Wire Forum

Okies and N/Ne Texans

Haven't seen a bluejay at the bird feeder nor at my deer feeder 40 mi nw in probably 4-5 months. Plus I don't see any while driving down the road. Not that I miss the blue bandits all that much but this is a first in the 20 years I've been here.

Noticeably fewer crows too. I'm not hearing any reports of west nile in humans here but evidently members of the crow family which includes jays are more susceptible to this mosquito borne disease than other birds.

You guys up north and south of Atoka County, OK seeing any?

That happened here in New Hampshire about 5 years ago. Blue Jays migrate about 2 to 300 miles for the winter/summer change so the ones we have in the winter are not the same ones we have in the summer. Sometimes they skip whole areas and then when the sun comes back it all averages out again.

Nope, don't need any imports from Abilene way. Sure there will be pockets here and there....more interested in what others are observing in the immediate region.

Although I'm fairly certain of post nesting dispersal behavior I've never observed a complete or seemingly so disappearance of jays. And in New Hampshire no doubt they get the hell out of Dodge. We don't stay that cold here and there should be a dozen out there hogging sunflower seed right now and not one.

We have lots of them here in Baytown,Texas east of Houston.Got way to many of them furry little tree rats also,want some?

Got plenty of tree rats! There were 8 grey and one fox squirrel at the feeder this morning. Thats something else thats strange....used to it was the other way around and hardly saw any greys.

Pulp, its been months and I mean months since I saw one. I don't think there was a migration event but it is puzzling why the sudden scarcity when its never occurred before. We're having about the same winter temps as usual and last year the blue bandits ate half the corn put out for deer....didn't see a one this year.

Henry the Chicken Hawk would starve if he had to depend on jays.

We got lots of up here in NW AR . Have some of them that almost as big as crows .

I think Bro. Hawk is gettin a few of them and the tree rats too .

Got a pair of Red tails and a pair of Coppers that hang around here .

CB

You're too close to the Kansas line Bill, those are Jayhawks! ;)

OK, since that is some 160 or more miles NE of here and you have a typical population for this time of year, it suggests we have some local and unexplained phenomena going on. Disease....who knows?

Aw badger those are all hysterical groupies.....the jays do it in private.

West Nile hit the Missouri Blue Jays 3 years ago. It's a pleasure now to see one of them. Not many around yet.

Down in South Arlington, we have an unusually LARGE murder of crows hanging around the environs these days (easily over a hunnert!).

As for Jays, I haven't noticed any. Plenty of wrens and cardinals, tho!

FWIW..YMMV..SOso

West nile in Missouri huh, well that fits into what is happening here. Might know it'd happen cause after writting I'd not seen one on months when two of the Blue Bandits dropped in at the feeder. Well, thats better than the usual dozen or more that bully all the others....except woodpeckers...they don't mess with them for obvious reasons.

Lots of songbirds in Arlington! Well, I've seen quite a few in the older more grown areas like Richardson but I'd bout decided that the new state bird of Texas ought to be grackles with starlings a close second.

Archived