SASS Wire Forum

Manure

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

Manure: An Interesting Historical Fact!

In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship. It was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only was it heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas. As the cargo was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.

Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern,

BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening. After that, bundles of manure were stamped with the instruction “Stow high in transit”on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the vessel would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T" (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word. Well, neither did I.

According to Nickle Jim, my father-in-law, he thought it was a SASS shooting term! :FlagAm:

:D

they said

Shit. Shite. Merde. The "S" word. The other word for "Crap"

scheisse is the German word for it. Also known as Shyste

scheisse! This piece of scheisse computer won't work. Oh well. I have to go and take a scheisse.

It was the first word my father said after he had his stroke.

The nurses said that was actually pretty common in stroke patients... :D

Fun story, but it is not true according to the fact check sites.

The word originates from the German word schite, which meant dung. The word has been in literature at least since the 1300s. Now you are a schite expert. :FlagAm::D

Fun story, but it is not true according to the fact check sites.

The word originates from the German word schite, which meant dung. The word has been in literature at least since the 1300s. Now you are a schite expert. :lol::FlagAm:

Oh Schite! You mean it's not true! Imagine that! :D;)

:D

they said

Shit. Shite. Merde. The "S" word. The other word for "Crap"

scheisse is the German word for it. Also known as Shyste

scheisse! This piece of scheisse computer won't work. Oh well. I have to go and take a scheisse.

SHITEs, also experts in the subject of explosives, as the Marines found out in Beruit in the 1980s.

Archived