SASS Wire Forum

Double or "97 and what reloading technique is best

Captain Bill Burt

There has been a great deal of 'how-to' done on the '97 for SASS and only a small amount done, almost as afterthoughts, on the double. The hammer double and more particularly the '87 have really been treated like step children with the only learning info being strictly word of mouth on the WIRE or at the range. There have been at least four commercial videos done that illustrated the '97 in close detail and at least touched on the dbl with the latest being one in the series by Evil Roy. I have tried to watch some of the stuff on U-Tube but it has low instructional value as a learning tool due to speed, camera distance and poor angles. I would really love to see someone video several of our top hammer gun and '87 shooters from several angles and with some close ups during a practice session (not a match). These could then be slowed down and/or stop actioned for clarity of detail and overlaying good quality narration after the fact.

Though a bit off topic this could be made as a complete offering by offering more on pistol styles other than the way overdone Traditional style, show the Gunfighter and the Duelist techniques used by their top shooters. I doubt that anyone has gotten rich on this type endeavor but it would be offering a past due lesson for our many shooters using varied shooting styles and firearms other than the Traditional shooter using his '97. I would buy one, would you?

There has been a great deal of 'how-to' done on the '97 for SASS and only a small amount done, almost as afterthoughts, on the double. The hammer double and more particularly the '87 have really been treated like step children with the only learning info being strictly word of mouth on the WIRE or at the range. There have been at least four commercial videos done that illustrated the '97 in close detail and at least touched on the dbl with the latest being one in the series by Evil Roy. I have tried to watch some of the stuff on U-Tube but it has low instructional value as a learning tool due to speed, camera distance and poor angles. I would really love to see someone video several of our top hammer gun and '87 shooters from several angles and with some close ups during a practice session (not a match). These could then be slowed down and/or stop actioned for clarity of detail and overlaying good quality narration after the fact.

Though a bit off topic this could be made as a complete offering by offering more on pistol styles other than the way overdone Traditional style, show the Gunfighter and the Duelist techniques used by their top shooters. I doubt that anyone has gotten rich on this type endeavor but it would be offering a past due lesson for our many shooters using varied shooting styles and firearms other than the Traditional shooter using his '97. I would buy one, would you?[

NO

Though a bit off topic this could be made as a complete offering by offering more on pistol styles other than the way overdone Traditional style, show the Gunfighter and the Duelist techniques used by their top shooters. I doubt that anyone has gotten rich on this type endeavor but it would be offering a past due lesson for our many shooters using varied shooting styles and firearms other than the Traditional shooter using his '97. I would buy one, would you?

I would love to buy one, but if I spend any more money on CAS stuff in the near future I'll end up single again.

• 3 months later...

Only thing I'll add is that if you want to try Wild Bunch you'll want a pump shotgun. Can't use a double unless there's an "Open" category and even then you can't be competitive using a double against those quick shooting pump that put five rounds down range real fast!

Archived