SASS Wire Forum

Gun project... non-CAS

Seems Sassparilla Kid has decided he wants a new gun project... specifically, to sporterize a Mosin Nagant.

And he has his druthers, of course... carbine length barrel, bent bolt handle, wooden sporter stock, scope mounts - wants to mount a steel-bodied Weaver C4W (Challenger model, 4X, Wide eyepiece) scope on the rascal.*

AND he's open to suggestions on sources for barreled action, stock, mounts, bolt mods, etc... :wacko:

*(Some kids can be soooo particular...! ) :blink:

In today's Cabela's flyer, ah saw a black synthetic stock fer Russian MN,

Think they had scope mount too.

Ah uses ah "MOJO" peep site on mine and a big rubber pad,

them thangs kick like a mule :wacko:

HC

I did a M44 carbine for my BIL , used an ATI stock , and made it a scout rifle with a 2x pistol scope . I did not move the bolt most of the center line scope mounts require cutting the bolt off and drill and tap to install after market bolt . I pulled the folding bayonet off but left the mount in place . worked up some hand loads that are real inpressive on varments . I also worked up a load for cast projectiles (160 gn GC ) . Neat old rifles I want to get a rifle to build up and see if I can get it to shoot as well as the first one does .

See Ya down the trail

Chickasaw Bill

Seems Sassparilla Kid has decided he wants a new gun project... specifically, to sporterize a Mosin Nagant.

And he has his druthers, of course... carbine length barrel, bent bolt handle, wooden sporter stock, scope mounts - wants to mount a steel-bodied Weaver C4W (Challenger model, 4X, Wide eyepiece) scope on the rascal.*

AND he's open to suggestions on sources for barreled action, stock, mounts, bolt mods, etc... ;)

*(Some kids can be soooo particular...! ) :angry:

======================================

I keep thinkin' I ought to get a Mosin before they are all gone and the price goes up to $400 or so. There was a bunch of 'em at the gun show today for $94.99 a pop.

I have 3 Mosins: an M38 carbine, an MO marked 91/30, and a Finn M39. The Finns are fantastic shooters since they put heavy barrels and stocks on them, but I'd hate to see someone sportorize a Finnish Mosin. The M38s are carbines without the attached bayonette, so it would probably be the best starting point for your project. Unfortunately, the M38s were heavily used during WWII and usually have pretty bad bores. The Russians didn't bother refinishing the 38s since they were already making the M44 carbine after the war. The 44s are easier to find, cheaper, and in better condition; you will just have to remove the bayonette. If you start with a 91/30 rifle, you can cut the barrel down to whatever length you want. You would have to recrown it after cutting, which would probably be a good thing anyways. The Russians idea of recrowning was to counterbore a larger hole.

The only synthetic stock that I know of for the Mosin is the ATI. Boyds makes a wood sporter stock. ATI also makes the bent bolt kit that is similar to bolt of the Mosin sniper rifles. It consists of cutting the original bolt handle off and drill and tapping the new one in place. You can also just bend the oiginal bolt yourself since you aren't trying to match the sniper bolt. Scope mounting choices will consist of the Russian side mount , a weaver-style, or a scout mount. It sounds like the Weaver-style would be best for your purposes.

Here is a link that contains some good articles on Mosin projects (links on the right side of the page):

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mosincarbine/index.asp

Archived