SASS Wire Forum

Two handed grip

Captain Bill Burt

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to SASS and I've tried to find the answer by reading the handbook and checking out the forum. I've seen several videos of CAS shooting in which the revolver is held with both hands, but as I look through the SASS handbook it appears this can only be done when shooting black powder, is that right? I'm planning on participating in my first match in February and I've never really shot a revolver with one hand, my preference would be a two handed grip with the left hand thumb cocking the hammer. However, I am not really a black powder shooter. Can somebody help me to understand this? Can I shoot one revolver at a time while holding it with both hands and not be in the black powder class? Thanks.

Yes, you can. And we don't shoot in classes we shoot in categories, may as well start out right with the correct terms. I don't know where you got the notion that you have to use black powder to use a two hands on the gun grip. It is more likely the opposite. What I mean is those rugged and proud individuals who pride themselves on shooting the "Holy Black". Soot lords they call themselves. Those of us who use the evil heathen smokeless powder (which is just a passing fad according to the soot lords) are the ones most likely to be found desperately grasping our 6guns with both hands. So welcome to the fire, and except for a few categories (such as Duelist, Frontiersman, Frontier Cartridge Duelist, Gunfighter {one gun out in each hand at the same time},etc) you can use the both-hands-on-the-gun-grip in most all the other categories. In fact, the majority of us do just that -- use smokeless with a two hand grip. Enjoy!

Any category except Gunfighter, Classic Cowboy, Frontiersman and Duelist can be shot 2 handed!

Thanks for the fast response Jack. So since I'm 47 I could shoot Cowboy, or Wrangler and in either case I could use a two handed grip? I'm heading out to start practicing this weekend and since I've never shot a single action before I wanted to start out the right way. I guess what confused me was not seeing a description of the requirements for the Cowboy or Wrangler classes.

Yes, you can. And we don't shoot in classes we shoot in categories, may as well start out right with the correct terms. I don't know where you got the notion that you have to use black powder to use a two hands on the gun grip. It is more likely the opposite. What I mean is those rugged and proud individuals who pride themselves on shooting the "Holy Black". Soot lords they call themselves. Those of us who use the evil heathen smokeless powder (which is just a passing fad according to the soot lords) are the ones most likely to be found desperately grasping our 6guns with both hands. So welcome to the fire, and except for a few categories (such as Duelist, Frontiersman, Frontier Cartridge Duelist, Gunfighter {one gun out in each hand at the same time},etc) you can use the both-hands-on-the-gun-grip in most all the other categories. In fact, the majority of us do just that -- use smokeless with a two hand grip. Enjoy!

Thanks Lone Dog, I'll remember it's categories not classes. When I read the handbook I got a little confused because I didn't see a description of the Cowboy category. I saw headings for Gunfighter, Duelist and such, but when I look back now I do notice it says under Age Based that revolvers may be shot any style except Gunfighter. I'm probably going to be joining the Georgia club Doc Holiday's Immortals (assuming they will have me) and I'm really gratified to find out how welcoming everyone is. I appreciate your help. thanks.

I'm sorry I've missed you at any of the local shoots. My boys and I haven't shot much lately. We shoot at Griffin and South River. There are alot of great shooters in this area, and very helpful when starting out. I'm close by and would be glad to help out if I can be of service to you. Feel free to call. 404-384-1597

Capt. Bill,

We shoot at Cherokee near Gainesville on the 4th Saturday. We'd be glad to have you join us. And yes, you can shoot using both hands. Personally I prefer a pistol in each hand, but each to his own.

http://www.cherokeegunclub.org/index.php?m...splay&pid=7

Badlands Bob

Guest diablo slim shootist

Capt. Bill ill give you a hint on practice-"cock the pistol with the week hand thumb"

with practice it becomes much faster than cocking with your strong side!Have fun! Diablo :D

I'm sorry I've missed you at any of the local shoots. My boys and I haven't shot much lately. We shoot at Griffin and South River. There are alot of great shooters in this area, and very helpful when starting out. I'm close by and would be glad to help out if I can be of service to you. Feel free to call. 404-384-1597

Thanks a lot Hal! I actually sent an email to Easyrider with some questions and he was very helpful. You haven't missed me at any shoots cause I haven't been to one yet. I've recently become interested and am accumulating my gear (Whew $$$). I've got my two Vaqueros and a 97 Winchester. My holsters are on back order and my ammo and two spring kits are in the mail.

Easyrider offered to help me with my missing items until I can get them so I plan to show up for the shoot on the second Saturday of February. He also offered to let me practice as his guest at the Griffin Gun Club and I'm looking forward to that. I will give you a call this weekend if that is OK and ask a few questions.

I must say every SASS person I've talked to has been really welcoming and I'm real grateful for that. BTW I saw you listed on the DHI site and in some of the match results. I look forward to getting some tips from you.

Capt. Bill,

We shoot at Cherokee near Gainesville on the 4th Saturday. We'd be glad to have you join us. And yes, you can shoot using both hands. Personally I prefer a pistol in each hand, but each to his own.

http://www.cherokeegunclub.org/index.php?m...splay&pid=7

Badlands Bob

Hi Badlands,

I saw your club in the affiliated links on SASS and I sure would like the opportunity to get up there for a shoot. As you may have noticed in my prior post I'm real close to having enough stuff to get going, the main thing that was holding me up was the bulk ammo and I expect that to be here in just a few days.

As far as the two hands go I've been a 1911 shooter for a long time and I may not be able to transition to weak side shooting (particularly with the need to cock a hammer each shot), but I'm sure willing to give it a try.

Thanks for the invite pardner!

Capt. Bill ill give you a hint on practice-"cock the pistol with the week hand thumb"

with practice it becomes much faster than cocking with your strong side!Have fun! Diablo :D

Hey Diablo Slim,

Thanks for the tip. I actually so a online video of someone showing that exact technique, which seems like it might fit best with the grip habit I've developed shooting my 1911 Springfield. I appreciate the info.

Archived