SASS Wire Forum

NEW HOLSTERS

JOHNACM

I JUST RECEIVED NEW HOLSTERS FROM TOMBSTONE LEATHER PRODUCTS. RIGHT HAND STANDARD AND RIGHT HAND CROSS DRAW. MAHOGANY COLOR. I AM NEW TO SASS. I KNOW THAT THERE ARE SOME EXPERTS OUT THERE THAT CAN TELL ME THE RIGHT WAY TO BREAK THEM IN. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. CACTUS JOHN

I JUST RECEIVED NEW HOLSTERS FROM TOMBSTONE LEATHER PRODUCTS. RIGHT HAND STANDARD AND RIGHT HAND CROSS DRAW. MAHOGANY COLOR. I AM NEW TO SASS. I KNOW THAT THERE ARE SOME EXPERTS OUT THERE THAT CAN TELL ME THE RIGHT WAY TO BREAK THEM IN. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. CACTUS JOHN

USE THEM----------

Please turn your cap lock off :FlagAm:

Ain't no expert, but two things I usually do with new leather:

1) Practice drawing your gun alot.

2) Store the holsters with some tennis balls shoved in the throat.

Do you feel they are to tight? I assume by break-in you are referring to holster fit? Practice/use will take care of small perceived problems and you might also look to your angle of draw as relates to the holsters cant. If you are in any way twisting the gun or drawing the gun in a way that is not right for the holsters cant you will get varying amounts of binding that feel like a tight holster issue. Beyond this I would contact the maker for more advanced solutions.

How come you are yelling? :FlagAm: I see that by your Sass # your pretty new, so I can understand why your excited and all, but all caps

is like yelling on the wire. On the left side of the keyboard there is a cap locks button.....push it.

Now about your holsters....wet them and put your guns in a zip lock baggie and shove them in and mold the leather to 'em.

Roll the top edge out a little to help the gun going back in after shooting. let them dry and your done.

Big Jake 1001

Lubricate it well with clear silicone spray. You can find it in the automotive section of Walmart, K-Mart, Target, & Pep Boys & any auto parts store.

When I got mine I would sit in front of the TV and hold one hoster and slide the gun and pull it out, again, again, again,........ well you get the Idea. Worked well for me.

Welcome to the family, you are in for a hoot!

And yeah don't shout. :D

Actually the tighter the better. You don't want them falling out when moving. The main thing is how do they reholster? You want them to easily drop in all the way. I use Ruger Blackhawks which require a really tight holster due to the lengthy rear sight which requires a long cut in the holster top. Mine are very snug and were designed that way.

If you have tried all of the above advice and still find your holsters a little sticky, get a jar of KB9 from Midway or Brownells. The jar holds 2 oz. and will last you forever. Just follow the directions on the jar and after several treatments you will notice the difference.

I was told by my leather to wet them, shrink wrap your pistols really good and work guns in tiight, let dry over night. Worked very well for me, then I try to work the pistols in and out of holsters a bunch of times

Just use them, they will break in just fine, as for the tennis ball thing, if they are quailty leather you don't need the tennis balls to keep them open if they are stiff and for the wet molding to your gun, if they are tight you shouldn't need to wet mold them if they are good leather, IMHO

All for now JD Trampas

I wet holsters all the time and it is the normal way to fit/final size them BUT for new holsters I still say to ask the maker first. If anything goes wrong with our home brewed experiments it just may cause the maker to deny any responsibility if he wasnt in on the fix. It must be remembered that fit is very subjective between shooters, with some liking the holster snug and others preferring theirs with a very loose fit, while both think their choice is the norm. If you figure out your preference then always specify that when ordering in the future.

My current "keeper" rig came from Kirkpatrick Leather in the form of a Long Hunter 09 B Western. Out of the box it fit like a glove (no break in required). It is done in a three layer sandwich, with thick 9-10 ounce leather exterior over molded Kydex over an inner lining of suede. It holds its shape no matter what. Now prior to that I've dealt with Triple K which was just a single layer of leather. I got a zip loc baggie and put the holster into it and poured oil also. Sealed it up and shook it up to fully coat the holster with oil. I then plastic wrapped my gun and holstered it into the soaked holster and let it dry for two or more days and that seemed to do the trick. Smithy.

If you have tried all of the above advice and still find your holsters a little sticky, get a jar of KB9 from Midway or Brownells. The jar holds 2 oz. and will last you forever. Just follow the directions on the jar and after several treatments you will notice the difference.
I will second the Cap'n recommendation of KG 9 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=162513 A couple of years back they gave out sample jars at Helluva a Ruckus. Had a extremely tight holster,read the information and the directions on the jar. Applied some per directions and worked revolver in and out,man what a difference.I also bought a leather cell phone carrier and it was tight I could get it in but not out easily,so I get out the KG 9 and apply some to the cell phone case. Now the phone goes in and out with no drag,just the way it should. Adios Sgt. Jake

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy, you can put your guns in plastic bags and soak the holsters in warm water then put your guns in them and let them air dry, don't worry about the caps it's easier to read LOL

ENG :D

I ran a strip of leather through the holster and then tied it on the outside in such a way that the opening is slightly flared. I left it tied a few weeks until they just stuck that way. You want them flared just enough to make it easy to re-holster, but still tight enough around the cylinder so the gun will not fall out.

I found this out the hard way when I went to re-holster and my gun was still sticking halfway out. The opening was tight, rather than flared. If my gun had fallen out it would have been a stage DQ.

-Solo Sam

Howdy! Can you elaborate more about what you mean by breaking them in? Do the pistolas slide in and out okay or are they too loose or too tight?

I store mine with old tennis balls too, but I would not wet them unless the fit was off. Are they stiff and squeaky?

Slim

Howdy! Can you elaborate more about what you mean by breaking them in? Do the pistolas slide in and out okay or are they too loose or too tight?

I store mine with old tennis balls too, but I would not wet them unless the fit was off. Are they stiff and squeaky? Then Lexol.

Slim

Use the wet, bag, stretch listed above, when dry, Lexol.

Archived