SASS Wire Forum

First born... pet names...

Deja Vous

When I was really little my dad bred my favorite old bay mare, a texas cutting horse, to a black stud .... The resulting foal was to be my very own first young horse, to train by myself. The little filly that was born that year, by my request, was a blood bay, with a star, and being so young I hung several names on her.. lol... Everything from a thriller like Dynamite, (lol) to a calm name like Aprils Stars Dream.. to finally AKnow... lol.. The poor horse ended up with my last choice... lol.. Every time I looked at the amazing buddle of legs I held my breath and thought how beautiful she was, and how lucky I was to have her by my side. The foal would shakes its head up and down like it was saying.. "yeah, I know".. lol... So, being a kid, I ran it all together in my brain... and the name AKNOW caught on to this poor pretty little mares life.. lol.. From that day forward she shook her head when I spoke to her, or so I thought she did...lol... A sense of humor prevailed, I could not stop myself even then... lol So, Rat dog is an obvious choice , they called her Lillie when I got her but she did not know her name, so she became Rat.. lol.. Well RugRat to be correct.. cuz she is built pretty close to the ground or Rug.. lol... What is in a pets name?

When I was really little my dad bred my favorite old bay mare, a texas cutting horse, to a black stud .... The resulting foal was to be my very own first young horse, to train by myself. The little filly that was born that year, by my request, was a blood bay, with a star, and being so young I hung several names on her.. lol... Everything from a thriller like Dynamite, (lol) to a calm name like Aprils Stars Dream.. to finally AKnow... lol.. The poor horse ended up with my last choice... lol.. Every time I looked at the amazing buddle of legs I held my breath and thought how beautiful she was, and how lucky I was to have her by my side. The foal would shakes its head up and down like it was saying.. "yeah, I know".. lol... So, being a kid, I ran it all together in my brain... and the name AKNOW caught on to this poor pretty little mares life.. lol.. From that day forward she shook her head when I spoke to her, or so I thought she did...lol... A sense of humor prevailed, I could not stop myself even then... lol So, Rat dog is an obvious choice , they called her Lillie when I got her but she did not know her name, so she became Rat.. lol.. Well RugRat to be correct.. cuz she is built pretty close to the ground or Rug.. lol... What is in a pets name?

Well.... I once had a Britanny who was my buddy and hunting companion for years.... "Woody," short for Woodrow Throckmorton Dawg. In later life and full of wisdom, he became "Uncle Woody," and at various times in his life was of course referred to as "Woody, the Wonder Dawg!"

Ol' Woody lost the use of his left front leg at age two - and hunted 'til retiring after ten. Lost ol' Woodrow back in '92, at age 16 1/2... but still have a ton o' stories 'bout 'im! <_<

Years ago, when my daughter turned 15, I bought her a blue roan walkaloosa. My wife and I could think of several very catchy names but she named the horse Phillip Wesly Brice after the 3 boys in school she had a crush on. Go figure.

Shakey

Well.... I once had a Britanny who was my buddy and hunting companion for years.... "Woody," short for Woodrow Throckmorton Dawg. In later life and full of wisdom, he became "Uncle Woody," and at various times in his life was of course referred to as "Woody, the Wonder Dawg!"

Ol' Woody lost the use of his left front leg at age two - and hunted 'til retiring after ten. Lost ol' Woodrow back in '92, at age 16 1/2... but still have a ton o' stories 'bout 'im! <_<

yeah, exactly... names warp... RugRats has gone to Ruggers,Rats, RATDOGS, Ratters, baby rat, rugess ratess... lol Ratties, Ratso... etc... lol... pet names I guess... But then I am a huge name destroyer .. lol

Years ago, when my daughter turned 15, I bought her a blue roan walkaloosa. My wife and I could think of several very catchy names but she named the horse Phillip Wesly Brice after the 3 boys in school she had a crush on. Go figure.

Shakey

That is so darn cute... I love it.. lol

Let's see...

Murphy got his name cuz it came to me in a dream the night before we drove up to South Dakota to pick him out.

Callie, my daughter's cat was almost "princess purrs alot" but wound up as Callie since she is a Calico.

Gizmo, the dog we had to put down about 4 years ago got her name cuz that's what it was when we got her from the shelter.

My oldest daughter went by the name of Weasel for several years. Her sister was Boots.

The name we hung on my buddy Harley when he was a pup was Weasel!

He was a registered dalmation and a really bright dog that we got when he was five weeks old.

Back then we had a low bed frame and he would stick his head under the covers at the foot of the bed and slowly crawl and twist and wiggle his way between us until he reached the pillows, at which time he'd put his head on the pillows and lie on his back looking back and fort between me and Schoolmarm. We shortened it to Weeze and eventually it grew.

He would jump on the bed and drag all of the pillows into a pile then lay on top of them. He became Pillow Dragon from the way he would lay there like a dragon guarding his hoard of treasure.

Weeze the Pillow Dragon passed away Sept. 11th 2006 at the age of 14 yrs. 7 mos. and 9 days. He was my friend and the apple of Schoolmarm's eye.

We call my grandson Bopper. When he was a year old he clobbered his big brother with a Tonka dump truck for pestering him while he played. My son had called him Bop for other reasons, but at that point the kid earned it. He has no backup gear! <_<

Two names come to mind.

My first stint in Thailand I had a pet gibbon - Only one name was immediately apparent. From the day I got him he was known as Hoot Gibbon.

Later my staff presented me with a baby Macaque. Since the Thai work for monkey is Ling, my only choice for her was Dinga. Whenever she was out of the enclosure she could be found perched on my left shoulder.

My ex-wife's grandpa used to call our younger daughter "Stinkerpot", but he had a slight lisp and it would often sound like "Tinkerpot". The name stuck with me and it gradually shortened to "Tink".

I called her that once in front of her boyfriend. He chuckled a little, said it was "cute", and called her by the same name. I shot him a disapproving glance and informed him that I was the only one allowed to call her "Tink." To him she would always be "Erin."

She broke up with him soon after that.

My grandson's name (from me) is JW, his parents call him Wesley.... JW fits.

...and his little sister who never crawled name is Scooter, her parents call her Natalie... Scooter fits much better and she's my outside girl who'll play with our dog, Elsa.

Our new pup is Cali -- Short for Carat's Calico Crystal and Stardust. She is a Blue Merle Australian Shepherd, but looks more like a calico cat.

Youngest Appaloosa is Liza Jean from a old stage play that my aunt directed 40 years ago. Friendly, loving and affectionate but full of excitement and a free spirit if you know horses :angry:

Old grey horse is Tom, named for his trainer (now how original is that!!)

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

About the time my wife and I were married (1970), the movie "Oliver" was popular, so we named our Irish Setter "Fagan" after the old pickpocket in the movie.

Fagan was followed by a female German Shepard named "Olivia"...no way we could call her Oliver.

Then came "Dodger", a male black Labrador, after the Artful Dodger from the same movie.

We now share our home with a black tom cat, "Charles Dickens", Charlie for short.

...gonna have to consult the cast of characters if we get any more pets...

My wife and I have two black cats. The lady that had them passed away and they were given to a “Cat Lady” to try to find them homes (along with 3 others.) Anyway, the original owner had been a music teacher and I honestly cannot recall what their names where. I do know they had something to do with music.

At our house the fat one of course became Fat Boy and the skinny one became Skinner. :FlagAm:

J.D.Lee

Had a che-wa-wa I named "Shopie" after dat famous movie start.

I was truckin back den and each time I stopped fer fuel, she wood git in my seat and jump on da horn.

I swear I cood see her laughin" everytime !! :FlagAm:

I lost her ta old age.

Also had a Appy I called "Whiskey" fer obivious reasons !!! :angry:

She wood feller me around wif her mussle on my shoulder and wood let kids ride her.

But let an adult git near her wif intent to ride, oh watch out !!

Let's see...

Murphy got his name cuz it came to me in a dream the night before we drove up to South Dakota to pick him out.

Callie, my daughter's cat was almost "princess purrs alot" but wound up as Callie since she is a Calico.

Gizmo, the dog we had to put down about 4 years ago got her name cuz that's what it was when we got her from the shelter.

Now that is cute... lol... Princess purrs alot.. lol

My oldest daughter went by the name of Weasel for several years. Her sister was Boots.

Hmmm and they let you live? lol.. My daddy called me skeezix... which in cattlemens terms means mothersless calf, later in gaseoline alley I guess it was a rogue or rascal.. lol.. Guess they all fit? lol

cool story.. I love the way he got into bed.. so cute.. I want one... lol I would own a ton of pups if I could..

Two names come to mind.

My first stint in Thailand I had a pet gibbon - Only one name was immediately apparent. From the day I got him he was known as Hoot Gibbon.

Later my staff presented me with a baby Macaque. Since the Thai work for monkey is Ling, my only choice for her was Dinga. Whenever she was out of the enclosure she could be found perched on my left shoulder.

Spookys... I never owns a Monkey.. I think they are so cute...

My ex-wife's grandpa used to call our younger daughter "Stinkerpot", but he had a slight lisp and it would often sound like "Tinkerpot". The name stuck with me and it gradually shortened to "Tink".

I called her that once in front of her boyfriend. He chuckled a little, said it was "cute", and called her by the same name. I shot him a disapproving glance and informed him that I was the only one allowed to call her "Tink." To him she would always be "Erin."

She broke up with him soon after that.

Works better than a shotgun.. lol

My grandson's name (from me) is JW, his parents call him Wesley.... JW fits.

...and his little sister who never crawled name is Scooter, her parents call her Natalie... Scooter fits much better and she's my outside girl who'll play with our dog, Elsa.

How cute... Scooter wasa common name in my family too, due to the last name..

Our new pup is Cali -- Short for Carat's Calico Crystal and Stardust. She is a Blue Merle Australian Shepherd, but looks more like a calico cat.

Youngest Appaloosa is Liza Jean from a old stage play that my aunt directed 40 years ago. Friendly, loving and affectionate but full of excitement and a free spirit if you know horses :(

Old grey horse is Tom, named for his trainer (now how original is that!!)

Regards

:D

Gateway Kid

A Blue is so pretty... I had a queensland that was a blue.. my dad had a aussie.. stocky little boy and so pretty... Cool name... The horse, tom? lol.. that is funny..

Don't know how I let the name of my watch Chihuahua slip by. At a little under 5 pounds, she's not quite a teacup but quite a bit smaller than the average Chihuahua.

Her name is Wee Kid Felina.

Man that is tiny!!!!!!! Very cute name!

My first Aussie was named Pete after the Little Rascals dog, Then I had Red Dog, Black Jack Daniels. The last Aussie I had was Lacey J Dalton.

I had a dobe I called Peter and yeah I had to shorten the name too many people started laughing at me.. I rescued him, the last thing I ever wanted was a dobe and I ended up loving that mutt as much as he loved me.. He took up too much room in my bed though. He passed away at 12 years of age.. He was 90 lbs in his prime.. lol We would go for a burger and he ate it.. lol

About the time my wife and I were married (1970), the movie "Oliver" was popular, so we named our Irish Setter "Fagan" after the old pickpocket in the movie.

Fagan was followed by a female German Shepard named "Olivia"...no way we could call her Oliver.

Then came "Dodger", a male black Labrador, after the Artful Dodger from the same movie.

We now share our home with a black tom cat, "Charles Dickens", Charlie for short.

...gonna have to consult the cast of characters if we get any more pets...

That is cute though you know? You could have a re-enactment.. lol

My wife and I have two black cats. The lady that had them passed away and they were given to a “Cat Lady” to try to find them homes (along with 3 others.) Anyway, the original owner had been a music teacher and I honestly cannot recall what their names where. I do know they had something to do with music.

At our house the fat one of course became Fat Boy and the skinny one became Skinner. :D

J.D.Lee

Skinnr? Now that is just mean.. lol... Just kidding... how sweet that they have a home with ya'll...

Let's see...currently living on this farm are

Carrie Underwood

Loretta Lynn

Faith Hill

Naomi & Ashley (Winona & Judd are no longer with us)

Garth Brooks

Martina McBride

Gorgeous George (Strait)

Jewel (and Ty of course :( )

Trace Atkins

Unfortunately the only song any of them can sing is the meow mix song :D

Had a sorrel quarter horse mare whose registered name was Foxy's Good Gal. Didn't want to call her any of those names but nothing better was coming to me either. Then one day I was riding her and she tripped and I said "Well, grace" and for the next 19 years of her life she was called Gracie Mae or Gracie. Thankfully, being ungraceful did not turn out to be a problem.

Shortly after we were married, my wife got a cat and a bird. She wanted help with the names, so I got on the Web and found a couple of sites with lists of pet names. There were thousands of them. I told my wife to write down all the ones she liked, and we would then work from her "short" list.

After several hours of searching, she had a list of 100 names. Several more hours of trying them on the animals to see if they responded to any of them, and more hours of discussion, we finally wound up with a cat named "Kitty", and a bird named "Birdie".

True story, honest.

On the other hand, my German Sheppard was named "Caesar", and I had a couple of Prairie Dogs named "Nugget" and "Little Bit", as well as two Racoons named "Bandit" and "Rocky".

Archived