SASS Wire Forum

Proposed Classic Cowboy Costume Addition

I shoot Classic Cowboy, as a WARTHOG, including a pocket watch on a chain.

Wearing a gunbelt with a pocket watch can sometimes create issues with the possibility of tangling something up at a critical time.

I thought one of the more common methods of carrying a watch was on a fob, hence the phrase, "Pulling his time"

Could we have the addition of a watch on a fob added to the costume list for Classic Cowboy?

Anyone else think this might be an idea?

I don't have a problem with your idea. I always wear an antique pocket watch in my vest but I learned early on that you want to use a vest with 4 pockets so you can have your watch and chain on the upper left side. That way you won't get your gun butt or pistols hung up in the chain like you will if you wear it in the lower pockets. Also I use a chain that only goes from the watch to the button hole and not the type that goes all the way across. The full chain is only good for banquets and such.

I have added a couple of pics showing how I wear my chain.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/b...BuckatGOA08.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/b...nMarshal8BW.jpg

As far as the fob goes, I can't see why it should not be acceptable considering it is authentic. Keep in mind that if you have five costuming requirements exclusive of the watch you can wear it with the fob or no watch at all.

Buck

Pards, most cowboys could not afford a watch let alone a watch & chain until the late 1890s when Ingersol brought out the "dollar'' watch that actually sold for about 3 dollars. It was meant to be thrown away when it quit running & replaced with a new one. The idea was a watch that every farm hand, cowboy & common laborer could afford. You can still buy them today for ten to $20.00.

I finally had a little pocket made for my chaps so that I can run the chain and the watch below my gun belt. Even with a single chain I'd catch it pulling s/g loads once in a while.

I'm left handed, carry my watch with a 12" chain and drop in the lower left pocket of a 4 pocket vest, and never had any problem..

(Now that I've said that, I'll probably git tangled up in it! :D )

One thing I do is stuff any slack from my chain into my watch pocket before I start shootin'! :(

Hi Pards,

Here's the appropriate rule.

"• Costuming: Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below. All clothing items must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies.

• Chaps, spurs, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest, pocket watch with full length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife, botas, leggings, braces; no straw or palm hats allowed."

The following definition of fob is from Dictionary.com.

"1. a small pocket just below the waistline in trousers for a watch, keys, change, etc. Compare watch pocket.

2. a short chain or ribbon, usually with a medallion or similar ornament, attached to a watch and worn hanging from a pocket.

3. the medallion or ornament itself. "

The following is from Wikipedia.

" Watches were also mounted on a short leather strap or fob, when a long chain would have been cumbersome or likely to catch on things. This fob could also provide a protective flap over their face and crystal. Women's watches were normally of this form, with a fob that was more decorative than protective. Chains were frequently decorated with a silver or enamel pendant, often carrying the arms of some club or society, which by association also became known as a fob."

It seems to me that you are talking about the ornament/medallion/pendant, which may or may not already be included with the chain. It does not seem like a totally separate clothing item. It is like a tie or scarf may be worn with or without a slide. I think the same is true of a watch on a chain. It may or may not be worn with a pocket and medallion.

So, I don't think it is really adding an item to the five. It is already part of the five as it wouldn't be worn alone.

Now, if you wanted to change the wording to the following, that would make sense to me, "...pocket watch with full length chain or leather strap with or without a pendant...."

Regards,

Allie Mo

Don't wear a vest much so I had my wife move all the pockets in my shirt to the right side as I shoot lefty. Use an upper button on the shirt to attach the chain and the watch goes in my shirt pocket. Up high and out of the way...works for me :wacko:

Archived