SASS Wire Forum

Has this board gone commercial?

Just browsing through the gear for sale, I have to wonder if this forum is mostly commerical. I thought we were originally trying to help each other out, getting rid of stuff we no longed needed, and finding a way to build up the gear we need to participate.

But I'm seeing posting for guns (and other gear) that are hundreds of dollars over the price for NIB guns from GunBroker and other commercial outlets. I just purchased a NIB, consecutive s/n set of rugers on Gunbroker, and I see similar items here for $200+ more, and double the shipping costs.

We're sure not helping each other out with this kind of pricing, pards. Tells me we got folks looking to make a hefty profit off each other. If you're chasing the bucks, go to a commercial advertising site.

Pards, if yer lookin' to buy, check out the going rates before you buy off here!

Just my opinion...

Duh!!!

Why would you buy anything, anywhere without knowing the "going rate"?

OK, vent mode turned off.

LOL! I wouldn't! But it torqued me off that so-called members are tryin' to rip off their so-called pards.

Heck, do a little research and then make an offer. Never seen or heard of a seller being offended at offers. Now lack of offers that's a different story. B)

Heck, do a little research and then make an offer. Never seen or heard of a seller being offended at offers. Now lack of offers that's a different story. B)

Aint wat the OP ment-

Some are round here to make a buck- no interest in nuthin else B)

Funny thing is i spect most can name sum them same as me-

Dont much matter to me-

B)

From what I have seen as long as you don't say you "MADE IT" it seems to be fair game on here. I agree there has been a lot of unpard like pricing and selling going on here.

But to be fair I have made some very good buys here also.

Wasatch

I think overall the pricing is fair. I've made some good buys on here, and as Brother King said, you can always make an offer. You can tell if someone's over-priced their stuff if they get no responses and they keep BTT -ing it. Likewise, if something is priced fairly, it goes in a flash.

But, yeah, it does kinda ruin it when you see someone who is obviously out to rip a pard's head off.

And here I thought 20 bucks a pair for the like new pants I was selling was a good deal! Ya know, nobbody can rip you off without your cooperation. Check the retail price by checking online, and if the item here is more than that, don't buy it. Simple. Hard to twist your arm over the internet.

Some folks think a gun is worth more just because it belongs to them. You see this a whole lot more at gun shows than you do here. I have got some really good deals here. Stuff that is priced outrageously high, well sometimes I have to bite my tongue to keep from posting "get real" or "what, izzit gold-plated?".

Guest diablo slim shootist

I had a new guy ask me what i thought about the price on

here on some Rugers -and they were $200 too high -and told

him to keep looking-a lot of buyers here jump at all the good

deals and ill bet they turn around and resell them just to pocket

the change-But thats capitalism. <_<

On the other hand I have had folks offer off the charts low ball offers on stuff only to become insulted and tell me how "uncowboy" it was of me not to help them out. I try to offer most of the used gear that I sell on here 30-50% less than new. The beuty of it is that you don't HAVE to buy it. This is the classifieds, not a charity board.

Some folks think a gun is worth more just because it belongs to them. You see this a whole lot more at gun shows than you do here. I have got some really good deals here. Stuff that is priced outrageously high, well sometimes I have to bite my tongue to keep from posting "get real" or "what, izzit gold-plated?".

Pawn shops too. Anywhere they sell used guns you have to watch the price. Most used guns I see in pawn shops now are selling for new gun prices. I was looking for a Rossi 92 and they seemed to be going from $400-$500 here on the wire and at pawn shops. If you buy on the wire you have to add shipping and pay a FFL to ship it to. I found a local gunshop that said they would order me any 92 configuration (except SS) for $429. I ended up buying one from a great pard at the local club for quite a bit less. When people ask me about buying cowboy guns, I tell them to make it known at the local shoot what you are looking for. I ended up buying all my cowboy guns FTF from other cowboys. None of these guns were advertiosed for sale, but when folks found out what I needed offers started coming in.

I also saw an add on the wire where someone was comparing the price they were asking to a new gun from a major chain. When I searched on line I found a gunshop that was selling thew same gun NIB for less that half of the chain price.

Not to ba all negative, some of the guns you buy here are already slicked up with action jobs and other cowboy mods. These can add up quick if you buy a new gun.

This is the classifieds, not a charity board.

True, but I've seen people here and over at CAS City "offer" to ship a gun for $50. Come on!

Some of them are said to be slick up and when you get them they have not been touched, It happened to me.I have bought stuff from people on here that was great and at a good price and I have been screwed more that one time. So now I pick who I buy from, I ask other Pards on here. I think most people on here are just cowboys and about 20% are dealers and out for the buck.Had a dealer or two go around my post and PM the seller.I am going to play cowboy and not let the bad mess up the good.

True, but I've seen people here and over at CAS City "offer" to ship a gun for $50. Come on!

Not to burst your bubble here , Beady , but I just sent one (pistol) off to be worked on , via UPS , cost me 66.00. Sometimes 50.00 shipping isn't a rip-off.

Just sayin' , Rex <_<

Aint wat the OP ment-

Some are round here to make a buck- no interest in nuthin else <_<

Funny thing is i spect most can name sum them same as me-

Dont much matter to me-

:lol:

WHOA! NEWS FLASH! Americans trying to make a buck in tough times by selling things to people who want them. I'll be darn... who'd a thunk it? Still doesn't mean that you have to pay. How do you know what a feller wants, needs and is willing to pay for?

Heck, I've had great luck here on the SASS WAHR. Found a '73 for $650... feller needed PAYPAL immediately. How do you beat that? Did I take advantage of him or was I a blessing for him? Ain't for you to say. I sent him the money and UPS lost the gun. Could have been much worse, but they DID find it. Think that made me pucker? Yep.... There's risk involved... even with a FTF. You can't know if that gun is hot. No way, no how....

Maybe you gotta have a 1911 for WB in 1 week and the feller has just what you want. You willin' to pay it? Well, OK then...

We're all adults here. Let's use a little 'common' sense. It takes about 3 minutes to tell anyone what the price of anything is anymore. Go to gunbroker; put in a search; click on completed auctions and see what the last 2 or 3 sold for and give it an HONEST judge to condition. How hard is that? Need any real special skills?

Sheeeesh... next we'll need a SASS Classified Nanny.

My personal experence has been great! Many pards have gone out of there way to help me out on more than one project I've been involved in for other people, under priviledged kids and veterans organizations, etc.. Pards have sent me needed stuff and wouldn't even let me pay for shipping. It doesn't get any better than that, folks doing good for others.

I do think it bothers those most who wouldn't engage in taking advantage of others so I guess buyer beware is the best advise. In the end, though, I think these types are definately in the minority here. Just my .02 cents.

HH <_<

Sounds much more like we are talking about pards asking high prices for personal goods than actual commercial selling? I do not follow the gun auctions very often as shipping costs, varying opinions as to condition etc etc make used gun buying/selling/trading a crap shoot. I have actually received guns from the WIRE that had badly buggered screw heads, marred S&W side plates and on occasion guns that were incapable of firing and yet they were advertised as like new condition and any photos were presented in a way to hide the shortcomings. No matter how hard we try, we can not protect a person from their own stupidity and when we play the sight unseen game we are asking for what we get. I must admit that I have had better luck on here with items other than firearms as well as the actual commercial items that occasionally slip through.

Sounds much more like we are talking about pards asking high prices for used personal goods than actually selling commercially? I do not follow the gun auctions or the WIRE gun offerings very often as shipping costs, varying opinions as to condition etc etc make used gun buying/selling/trading a crap shoot. I have actually received guns from the WIRE that had badly buggered screw heads, deeply scratched S&W side plates and on occasion guns that were incapable of firing and yet they were advertised as like new condition or "in good working condition" and accompanying photos were presented in a way to hide the shortcomings. Beware photos that are long range, blurred or shot from restricted angles or just one side. No matter how hard we try, we can not protect a person from their own stupidity and when we play the sight unseen game we are asking for what we get. I must admit that I have had better luck on here with items other than firearms as well as the actual commercial items that occasionally slip through.

I bought almost all my cowboy guns on the Wire. I checked prices and waited for good deals. Nobody forced me to buy anything, in fact, everytime I bought anything I was offered a trial period of three days or more to confirm I was getting what I expected. Only once did I have a bad experience, and that was a shipping issue with an old fart from Oregon on a collapsable gun cart. Paid the asking price and agreed to cover shipping, only to find out that shipping was going to be $145! The old man had such a fit about me agreeing to buy it I went ahead and "cowboyed up" and paid. I'll never deal with him again, but I still have had many good deals from the Wire.

Cash

Let's see, buy low, sell high. Sounds like the American way <_<

I do think that sometimes, we look at the things we own and feel they are worth more than the market will bear. But that's the breaks, if you don't price things right, most times they won't sell. If the buyer does his homework, he won't be screwed.

Now as to whether that whizbang action job is worth the $200 it cost you to the buyers, well, that's up to you and them. Lots of people would rather buy a box stock gun and do what they think is needed to it rather than take someone else's action job. That means you may have to eat the cost of the action job in order to sell your weapon.

And as to shipping costs...if you want to adhere to the bulk shipper demands, shipping a handgun has gotten real expensive, so $50 isn't out of order. You take a chance if you don't follow their rules. Since you are not following their rules, if your gun gets lost in shipping, they can deny your insurance claim.

Bystander

+1 Ship a firearm lately? If you are not a dealer and cannot ship via USPS it is going to cost you $50.00+ if you actually declare it and do not get stupid and say it is parts and crap like that.

Doc

Not to burst your bubble here , Beady , but I just sent one (pistol) off to be worked on , via UPS , cost me 66.00. Sometimes 50.00 shipping isn't a rip-off.

Just sayin' , Rex <_<

Naw, I don't think we have gone commercial or I would be trying to sell OYSTER ROAST and alkyhol tickets that my fur' dept is having for a fund raiser,

Shenny

I have gotten some very good deals here.

I think that some pards do not think their guns in particular have lost any value, and most believe that if they have been slicked up by a professional gunsmith that they are actually worth more, and in many cases that is the case.

Last set of pistols I sold here cost me 67.50 to ship.

RRR

+1.... exactly and I get a UPS commercial discount.

Rick that looks like a good swap for that fringe jacket that you liked so much. :angry:

Archived