SASS Wire Forum

Trigger Guards

FJ Hutch

I am in the process of buying a new gun from Bond Arms - The Snake Slayer with trigger guard or The Texas Ranger without trigger guard.

Other than carrying this unit for personal protection while out in the bush doing wild life photography I will probably be shooting at the local gun rang and maybe participating in some SASS compitions. I look real good dressed up. Any way I'm stumped as to what is regulation, guard or no guard or does it matter. Can someone let me know, I have a month to deside and put my order in for the next production line. Fred@Hutchinson.net gunRlarge.gif

Hutch

Removing one screw, to remove the trigger guard, turns your Snake Slayer into the Texas Ranger. Trigger guard in the bush, no trigger guard for SASS competition. So in this on incident you can have your cake and eat it too.

Marlin

Derringers are actually not used very much in SASS.

I have the Bond Cowboy Defender model which has no trigger guard nor any provision to attach one. I think it makes for a much cleaner look than the models with removable trigger guards.

I mostly use it in the field as my snake gun. The way the gun is designed, I do not see how a trigger guard makes it any safer for holster or pocket carry. Maybe it would help control recoil by hitting your finger, but I have never felt that recoil was a problem, even with 410 and 45 Colt ammo.

Derringers are actually not used very much in SASS.

Bob, you have crushed my hopes of becoming a famous SASS derringer gunslinger... :FlagAm:

Archived