SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1866 lever question

Holden A. Grudge

Was looking at a Uberti 1866 that is for sale on an auction site. Add says it is new and unfired. In looking at the pictures it looks like an 1866 rifle (24 inch barrel) but the odd thing to me is that the lever looks like an 1873 style lever.

The seller stated that no parts have been replaced on the rifle. My question then is; did Uberti offer an 1866 with the lever style of an 1873? Is it possible that this rifle came from the factory this way or should I be leery of the seemingly wrong styled lever?

An 1873 style lever is not an option that I know of. Of course, the factory coulda screwed up and put it on there. It is possible it was changed by someone. The SASS Handbook does have the provision that the lever on a '66 can be changed to the '73 style.

It's also possible it just looks different in the pictures.

The early '66 replicas did have the lever with the flat area on the front for the interlock (?) pin. I've seen a number of them over the years.

Tha't's correct. The earlyUberti 66's had the trigger block like the 73's and it requires the 73 style lever. As a side note, the current short stroke parts don't work in the early guns. The toggle pins are smaller. At one time Will Shootem of Pioneer GunWarks offered them.

The very early 66's had shorter carriers and the trigger was two piece with a safety just like the 73. They have not made parts for the old 66's in many years and short stroke kits, etc. don't fit them.

We have a '66 from Uberti, made many moons ago, with that style lever and factory installed lever safety. You might ask the seller just how old that piece really is - even if it is unfired. If it is very old (1980s), some parts are no longer available from any supplier (carrier, for example).

Good luck, GJ

Wow, a hat trick. Three replies all the same content and essentially the same time. Congrats, Pards!

GJ

When I started shooting Cowboy last year I found an 1866 carbine (EMF-marked I think) on a local gunshop's used gun rack. It seemed different from the newer '66s in some way but I didn't know enough about them to figure out was different. The shop wanted $600 for it which seemed high to me. Later on another new shooter purchased a used '66 but discovered it was a low serial number gun and the current short stroke kits wouldn't fit it. After seeing an out of battery discharge happen with a '66 I pretty much took that model off my "possible" list. The next time I was in that shop, though, I took another look at the carbine (having figured out that six hundred bucks might not be such a bad deal on a Uberti) and noticed that it had a lever safety. At that point I was a little confused but figured maybe the older ones had this feature. In a way it makes the gun a little more attractive but if you can't get parts if it breaks, that's something else.

Tha't's correct. The earlyUberti 66's had the trigger block like the 73's and it requires the 73 style lever. As a side note, the current short stroke parts don't work in the early guns. The toggle pins are smaller. At one time Will Shootem of Pioneer GunWarks offered them.

Right on.....I found out the hard way....

Archived