SASS Wire Forum

Is there realy a benefit

Guest Texas Jack Black

Guest Texas Jack Black

I am getting back into the game this year and I have always shot two 2nd gen colts Duelist I read about these new SASS Vaqueros with the SBH hammers and wider rear sights. My question is Do these rear sights and lower hammers really help ?? Targets are at most 21 feet and quite large. Should I continue with the Colts or spend the bucks on the Rugers?

T J B

I've not shot either one, but do have standard new model vaqueros that I love.

I suggest you find someone in a local club who has them and try them out and see how they work for you. After all everyone's hands and eyes are a bit different, what works for you may not work for me.

Hope that helps, enjoy.

Grizz

The wider sights and lowered hammer does help, but, unless there is something wrong with your Colts, I'd keep on using them.

For someone that didn't have any guns at all, and the choice was the Rugers or the Colts, I'd say get the Rugers.

My NMV model is in the form of a pair of Bisley Vaquero's and I just love them. Low hammer and a comfortable grip and a perfect barrel length (5 1/2") all make for one great cowboy gun. Go to the gunshop or next shoot and check some out. Smithy.

My NMV model is in the form of a pair of Bisley Vaquero's and I just love them. Low hammer and a comfortable grip and a perfect barrel length (5 1/2") all make for one great cowboy gun. Go to the gunshop or next shoot and check some out. Smithy.

I shot Wolf Bane’s set last fall. I like the low wide triggers and plan on getting a set for my blackhawks.

Roy

I am getting back into the game this year and I have always shot two 2nd gen colts Duelist I read about these new SASS Vaqueros with the SBH hammers and wider rear sights. My question is Do these rear sights and lower hammers really help ?? Targets are at most 21 feet and quite large. Should I continue with the Colts or spend the bucks on the Rugers?

T J B

Don't find distance has anything to do with it.

It is how fast can you get that sight on target.

If ya got them good eyes like some on them young folks do.

You may be fine. But I like the wider opening in the rear sight.

Just makes it faster and easier, for me anyway, to find the front sight.

As for the hammer.

Again. Personal thing. For me. I find the lower hammer SO much easier for my thumb to get to, and still

keep the sights on target.

Don't have to roll the gun to get to the hammer. And staying on target means faster target acquisition.

I have bad hands. So need all the help I can get.

That's why I like Ruger Bisleys over the others.

But do have a set of RV set up with the lower hammers and like them also.

Should add.

That I have a lot less pain while and after shooting with the lower hammers than I

did with the regular hammers on the RV's.

If I had to shoot without lower hammers???? Would probably give up one handed shooting.

I shot Wolf Bane’s set last fall. I like the low wide triggers and plan on getting a set for my blackhawks.

Roy

Wish they would have passed that to be legal for Duelist and GFer a few years ago.

As that would probably be what I would be shooting.

Wife has SBH hammers on her Blackhawks and loves them.

T J B

I think you would be much happier with your Colts as these guns do not feel box stock. They have weaker springs to ease the hammer work, a better trigger, the wider lower hammer, widened rear sight, etc. Anyone that wants a gun like days of old just will not be happy with these new guns. Others that want to get started in the sport and want a gun needing little work to be competitive will love em.

Bought my pair of SASS Vaqueros last year....best move I could have made. Ole thumbs are gettin' stiffer with the years and that shorter reach sure helps. Ran about a thousand rounds thru each of them without a hitch. (That's not countin' a high-primer and a no-powder-in-the-bullet I conjoured up in two different matches.) They're nothin' but sweeet!

Deadeye

I think you would be much happier with your Colts as these guns do not feel box stock. They have weaker springs to ease the hammer work, a better trigger, the wider lower hammer, widened rear sight, etc. Anyone that wants a gun like days of old just will not be happy with these new guns. Others that want to get started in the sport and want a gun needing little work to be competitive will love em.

Sound advice right there.... B)

Guest diablo slim shootist

I disagree i think the new Rugers with the low hammers are the cats me yow!

put the colts back in the safe where they belong and jump on the Band wagon

you wont be sorry -Diablo (who loves his Montados) B)

TJB:

alot of what the individual shooter uses has alot to do with 'the feel' of the gun.

I like the Ruger Vaq alittle better than the New Vaq. I like the Marlin because it shoulders alittle better on me than a 66 or 73. And so it will be with your Colts and the SASS Vaq, especially with those wider hammers.

Those wider hammers are not the majic ingredient to speed and accuracy. Personally, I think its their lower position allows shooters to place their thumbs for recocking without feeling like their moving their grip position on the grip.....especially duelist and GF.

The lower hammer feels good to me. But, the wide spur can have its drawback. Instead of your thumb sliding up the side of it to recock, you might find your thumb rubbing on the bottom edge of the hammer spur sometimes as you reach for the hammer.

It took me a few months and a few 000 rounds of good practice to get to the level I felt comfortable with in using those Super Blackhawk hammers on my Vaq. I really like them now.

As for speed, well, I can't detect the're any faster than those standard VAQ hammers I used in my GF videos.

Whichever one you use, reasonable practice times will be a determining factor in your speed and proficiency increase.....not the hammer.

As mentioned by others, the lower hammer does help Pards who have some thumb movement limitations.

Best regards and good luck in getting back into the game.

..........Widder

Wouldn't mind having a pair of them SASS Ruger Vaquero's. Then again..there isn't a firearm that I don't like...just some better than others B)

What's the benefit?? At worst you have two more pistolas B) and... the benefit of that (worst case scenario) you can always have a pair on hand to help a new shooter out.

GG ~ B)

Guest Texas Jack Black

I want to thank all who gave their take on my question. My club just completed a closed in shooting house with a WOOD STOVE so I will be shooting this weekend I need the practice .We stacked wood today I have my own key and cranked up the Dillon .

I plan on shooting the Colts .I will borrow a SASS Vaquero and give them a try Who knows I may find that the Colts feel better .I will then order a new rig and shotgun belt and maybe a new hat,boots Looks like I am hooked again. B) B)

Best Wishes

T J B

Texas Jack Black,

I don't know whether it's a benefit or not, but I have a set of the new Ruger SASS Vaqueros, and I think they are superb. I cannot think of any guns I would rather have.

Bought em', took em' out of the box, Installed Wolff Spring Kits, and they were good to go. They come with the lowered hammer spurs and wide rear sight slots. There's nothing else you need. They perform flawlessly.

RBK

Archived