SASS Wire Forum

Casting Bullets?

Dorado

Gents, a clean mold with no release agent will drop more bullets without having to whack the handles.

A trick I learned to not have to whack the mold is to get a section of pipe with an inside diameter slightly larger than the tab on the mold sprue plate. Bolt this pipe to the edge of your bench. After pouring your mold and it setting, stick the sprue tab into the open pipe and pry the plate open. No whacking necessary! The gained leverage of the pipe/bench and the mold handles is all you need to bust the toughest sprue's. Smithy.

A trick I learned to not have to whack the mold is to get a section of pipe with an inside diameter slightly larger than the tab on the mold sprue plate. Bolt this pipe to the edge of your bench. After pouring your mold and it setting, stick the sprue tab into the open pipe and pry the plate open. No whacking necessary! The gained leverage of the pipe/bench and the mold handles is all you need to bust the toughest sprue's. Smithy.

That's not a bad idea. Especially if your sprue plate doesn't have a handle like mine. I'll look into that.

Oh, one more question, I've gone and tumble lubed my bullets using the Lee liquid Alox. The bottle says to let it set overnight before I size them. Is it necessary to let it sit that long? or can I just let them sit for a couple of hours before I size them?

Oh, one more question, I've gone and tumble lubed my bullets using the Lee liquid Alox. The bottle says to let it set overnight before I size them. Is it necessary to let it sit that long? or can I just let them sit for a couple of hours before I size them?

First, use very little of the liquid alox. Second, it does take a long time to dry. It will dry faster on a hot day and if there is a good breeze or a fan blowing on them. I put mine on a no stick cookie sheet out on the back porch and they dry faster but sometimes after a full day they are still a little sticky to touch.

If you're shooting really low velocity loads you might try Rooster Jacket. It dries quickly and is not sticky. I've tried it but wasn't happy with it on my moderate velocity (700 - 1000 fps) loads but it may work better for you than it did for me.

Archived