SASS Wire Forum

OT...SASS Hunters

Outrider, SASS #72622

Boy now I am really envious! When I wasn't disabled I use to go hunting all the time (although mainly rabbit hunting). My biggest larger game hunting came in the form of pronghorn antelope hunting in Wyoming which did this California boy just fine. But now the DMV has taken my license away so my mobility is nonexistent. I'm lucky to get to a SASS shoot every now and then let alone practice at the range. And to go hunting if I could make it to the field, my health conditions would only allow me about half a mile before I would start passing out so I'm not much good there either. I guess what I am saying is long gone are the days when I could take to the field to take any kind of game, but I did have a good run with rabbit, quail, dove, chuckar, pheasant, pig, turkey, coastal deer, and antelope. I had fun. Ate everything that I shot and have absolutely no regrets. Smithy.

Well this year I wanted to get back to the roots of my hunting so I have only been using my old Lever Guns such as Winchesters and such. Even took a few of my 92 copies in .45 and .357.

Its been a fun hunting season so far with out all of my scoped guns and do dads that I have been carrying for the last few years. Feels good to get back to just me and a lever gun.

Have not touched a SASS gun since tha begining of November. :wub:

RRR

Just the opposite for me, I used my SASS guns to hunt with. Henry on my shoulder and a OMV on my hip!

BSD

Outrider,

Just imagine how hard it is on an avid hunter such as myself that Comin at Cha, Southwest Regional Championships, is on first weekend of November. That's first weekend of deer season and my deer lease of 39 years is about 10 miles east of Bar-3. ha. Actually I don't get to mad at them deer anymore, but still love the elk hunting which I get out of the way with a October hunt in New Mexico. At least I am close enough to lease that I can shoot match and be in deer stand same day if I want. It would be a tough choice if I was as serious about deer hunting as I once was. I do believe that if a match even as big as SW Reg was scheduled at same time as my planned elk hunt I'd just have to be in athe mountains totting my FA revolver and listening to them bulls bugling.

Good hunting.

bb

PS RRR, haven't you got that big buck yet? Dern near February.

:wub::):D^_^:FlagAm:

Most of the outfits that hold SASS matches around here stop holding matches in October.

Most of our hunting seasons here start in November.

So it ain't too much of a problem here. :wub:

Mustang Gregg

I use to never shoot SASS during Sep – Jan but thank goodness I have a job that NOW lets me hunt during the week and shoot SASS on the weekend……life is good right now so I’m gonna’ enjoy it as long as possible. I can see why you got hooked on bowhunting that’s about 98% of the hunting I do…..it’s just so darn fun and you don’t go deaf when you shoot….lol

I'll hafta say I missed a couple matches this season for hunting trips. I didn't get to hunt all I wanted other times, so I made a break for it everytime I could. B)

Outrider,

Just imagine how hard it is on an avid hunter such as myself that Comin at Cha, Southwest Regional Championships, is on first weekend of November. That's first weekend of deer season and my deer lease of 39 years is about 10 miles east of Bar-3. ha. Actually I don't get to mad at them deer anymore, but still love the elk hunting which I get out of the way with a October hunt in New Mexico. At least I am close enough to lease that I can shoot match and be in deer stand same day if I want. It would be a tough choice if I was as serious about deer hunting as I once was. I do believe that if a match even as big as SW Reg was scheduled at same time as my planned elk hunt I'd just have to be in athe mountains totting my FA revolver and listening to them bulls bugling.

Good hunting.

bb

PS RRR, haven't you got that big buck yet? Dern near February.

Naw buddy I passed on every buck I saw this year, I'd have shot several of em years ago but I guess my sights are a little higher now. Sure did enjoy every minute of it though. Did you get an Elk with your pistol?

RRR

Choose between shooting and hunting? J'eat j'yet?

My own rule is that whatever it is has to be bigger than what I've got hangin' OR be a record book critter. So for the last 30 years there has been a lot more bow HIKIN' than bow HUNTIN'. I've sold off all my rifles because I haven't shot anything with one in over 20 years.

Sometimes I get to the end of the season with no elk anywhere including the freezer. This year was one of those. It was 80+ degrees the entire bow season for elk in the Rockies. I had one opportunity first hour of the first day on a bull I guessed about 270. Didn't better any of mine over 300's so I passed...... oh well, didn't have to spend two days packin' a spike out of some bottom 6 miles from the truck either.

Might as well not even show me the calendar from 27 Aug to 30 Sept... I'm going elk hunting someplace.

Wolves have just about ruined the greatest wilderness elk area on the planet.... damn shame when the most remote place in the lower 48 is over hunted now.

THOROFARE WILDERNESS 6X6// Bighorn Recurve

Have not touched a SASS gun since tha begining of November. B)

RRR

Me either.

But I been sick.

B)

"Did you get an Elk with your pistol?" RRR

RRR,

Yep, I got a very nice 5 x 5, my 14th bull with a revolver. Will you make Winter Range? Hope to see you there, if not, EOT.

bb

Archived