SASS Wire Forum

22wcf?

hud

Anyone ever heard of this? Got in an 1885 Winchester in 22wcf (not WRF), never heard of a 22 center fire before. Thanks in advance

hud

It's like a .22mag short. I have a Winchester takedown pump that shoots pretty well. Expensive ammo, but fun to shoot.

CR

WCF = Winchester Center Fire. WRF = Winchester Rim Fire. The WCF is very much like the .22 Hornet case. Gary

Do you know if the case dimensions are the same? .22 Hornet is probably the smallest .22 centerfire?

Thanks,

CR

The .22 WCF was a BP round first offered in the late 1800s, like 1890 IIRC. The .22 Hornet started as a wildcat based on the .22 WCF case, and adapted for that heathen smokeless powder. The WCF round ran a 45 grain bullet at 1500 fps or so, and of course the hornet stings a wee bit harder than that :wub:

Slo what ya got is the Hornet's daddy :wub:

.22 Winchester Centerfire (.22 WCF) was a small centerfire cartridge introduced in 1885 for use in the Winchester Model 1885 single shot rifle. Factory manufacture of ammunition was discontinued in 1936. The .22 WCF was loaded with a 45 grain bullet with a muzzle velocity of about 1550 feet per second, similar to the performance of the .22 Winchester Rimfire (.22 WRF) designed in 1890.

Experimentation with the .22 WCF among civilian wildcatters and the U.S. military at Springfield Armory in the 1920s led to the development of the .22 Hornet cartridge.[1]

thats what I was lookin for, thanks IJ

hud

Is it smaller than the 5.5mm Velo-Dog?

That works out to the .216 round. I blanked on the .17 cal folks are shooting at prairie dogs.

CR

The is a Win 73 22 wcf for sale on gun broker now. very high asking price.$3600.00 it is a 22 short.

Archived