SASS Wire Forum

1885 HighWall

Schuetzum Phast

I've been thinking of buying a 1885 HighWall in .45-70govt. This is a rifle that I'm unfamaliar with other than the new one I've been admiring (for some time) in the gun store. Would anyone be willing to breifly give me a little feedback, good or bad, if you know anything about this rifle? I would be much obliged. S.P.

The 1885 High Wall design has been around for 125 years. And it is still around. Does that answer you question?

Think Winchester Model 1894, Marlin 1894, Winchester 1886. Plus others .... All of those, I believe, are still around. Oh, and my beloved Model 1911 pistol.

Chicken Coop

Howdy Pard,

I have a 1885 Black Powder Cartridge Rifle (BPCR) in 40.65. This rifle shoots better than I can hold it. I've only had mine for a few months. I've shot it quit a bit out to 500 yards and it is a very competitive rifle right out of the box. I highly recommend them. I shoot with a couple of pards who have the same rifles in 45.70 and shot with them for the past several years. These guys shoot 1000 yard matches with them and do very well with them. That's why I bought mine. All three of us shoot both black and smokeless powders in them. This rifle is rapidly becoming one of my favorite rifles.

Hope This Helps,

Tater http://www.kansascas.com/long-range.htm

:rolleyes:

Hey Schuetzatum Phast

I’ve been shooting the Winchester / Browning High Wall Limited Edition 45-70 for several years now. Very accurate. Also shooting a 20” barrel version of the same in 38-55 for Cody-Dixon Single Shot. Check with Elroy Rogers and see if he can get you one for a decent price.

Maybe we can get together in the next week or two an you can try one out.

Check out Davidson’s Link:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default...p;zipcode=78735

Uncle Spiteful

Howdy

There is a very interesting story behind the development of the 1885 High Wall.

When John Moses Browning was a young man he was working in his father Johnathan's gunsmithing shop in Ogden Utah. He spent most of his time repairing guns that were either damaged or worn. In 1878 when he was 23 years old, he was repairing a hunter's single shot rifle. He had the parts spread out on a bench in front of him and he was dismayed about how poorly the gun was designed. He made a comment that he could make a better gun than that himself. His father looked up and said 'I know you could, John Mose. And I wish you'd get at it. I'd like to live to see you do it.'

It took Browning less than a year to make his rifle and he applied for a patent for it on May 12 1879. This was a remarkable feat in itself, to complete a new design in that much time. And it was the first rifle Browning had ever designed, which made it even more remarkable. The patent was issued on October 7, 1879.

Browning and his brothers set up a small company in Ogden to produce his new rifle. They had the barrels produced by a commercial barrel maker, but made everything else themselves. They were always strapped for cash, and the company was never a roaring financial success. However every rifle they produced was snapped up as soon as it was made.

In 1883 Browning's rifle came to the attention of T. G. Bennett who was the Vice President and General Manager of Winchester at the time. At this time Winchester was mostly producing repeaters firing relatively light cartridges like the 44-40 and 38-40. They needed a heavy caliber single shot rifle in their product line. Within a week he was on a train to Ogden with authorization to buy the patent rights to the rifle. He had barely heard of Ogden Utah, and had never heard of the Browning brothers. But he knew that Browning's rifle was the best single shot rifle he had ever held. He also knew he wanted to buy the rights to build the rifle before his competitors like Marlin or Remington got their hands on it.

When he got off the train he had no idea where the Browning brother's factory was, but he eventually found it. When he walked into the shop he was amazed how tiny it was and how the young brothers were producing such a fine rifle. The rifle that had come to his attention had the number 463 stamped on it. By the end of the day, an agreement had been reached to sell the patent to Winchester. Browning's single shot rifle became the Winchester Model 1885. This began a relationship between John M. Browning and Winchester that lasted almost twenty years. Browning designed and patented firearms. Winchester bought every patent, including many that they never produced, just to keep them out of the hands of their competitors.

I have an Uberti in 45-70 and I like it very much. I had to modify the butt plate which has a sliding trap door in it, as the little button on the door to push with your fingers stuck out enough to make a little bruise on my shoulder. I shortened it a bit.

My other thing is the fact that when you close the action the hammer is left at half-cock, which was the way the later Winchesters were made, for hunter's safety while carrying in the field. This slows down the reloading if you are shooting on the clock in a CAS Plainsman stage, so I modified mine to stay at full cock when I close the action.

There are two weights of Uberti, one with a heavier barrel, but both are pretty hefty and steady. Put a tang sight on it.

I have the BPCR by Miroku mine is one of the special run that Davidsons had made Marked Winchester rather than Browning and the quality is topnotch the trigger did require a bit of work to get to perfect but the gun is a lot more accurate than I am.

Mine is a 45-90 and I shoot a Paper-patched 540 grain cup based slug from Montana Precision Swaging over a SPG grease cookie and 85 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 f groups at 200 yards from a sandbag rest (just a few puffs from a breath tube between shots) were one hole in a 5 shot group after the first fowling shot

The wood is amazing the Sights from a US firm on the west coast are also top notch (though I did have one of the original bubble levels on the front sight break while sighting it in the first time an email to the makers of the sight had a replacement by return mail as well as few extra inserts that were not on the original card that came with the rifle

The wood is amazingly good for a production gun and of course the Match Barrel is also american made

a Topnotch gun all around

I have a friend who is a retired Navy SEAL Captain and he and his Son (also a SEAL, sniper trained and just back from his last trip to the war zone) were visiting and we went to the range. Neither had ever done any long range work with a 19th cent, iron sights, and black-powder gun; and using my dope book from when I sighted it in they both had 300 yard 5 shot groups under an inch from prone

My best that day were about 3 inches in the same conditions. It was very impressive seeing this father son teal in the role of sniper and observer swapping position back and forth and working together as a tight team (when neither had ever done much shooting together other than go plinking together with .22 rimfire; and both expressed amazement at how accurate a design 125 years old using black-powder could be though both were less happy about the big smoke plume each shot generated (the father later told me that the day was one of the best he had spent with his oldest son in years)

Cheers

Windy

Howdy,

Don’t discount the Pedersoli high wall. It’s a good rifle; my shooting partner has one in 38/55 and is doing quite well with it. He has managed to shoot his first AAA score with it in BPCR. I spotted him into a 95 hits with 44 bull hits out of 120 at the Pala Buffalo match. The ranges went from 400 to 890 yards. Not bad for an Italian high wall in 38/55 and I would expect the same from their 45/70.

Jasper Agate

I have one, Winchester Miroku, 45-90 BPCR. One of the most accurate rifles I have and by far my favorite. Took a little work to find what it liked to eat best, but it was worth it. trigger was perfect out of the box, fit'n finish is good. I put a 1000 yrd tang site with adjustable appature on it and I shoot from 100 to 400 yrds regularly with it. Wouldn't trade it or sell it for anything.

Hey Schuetzatum Phast

I’ve been shooting the Winchester / Browning High Wall Limited Edition 45-70 for several years now. Very accurate. Also shooting a 20” barrel version of the same in 38-55 for Cody-Dixon Single Shot. Check with Elroy Rogers and see if he can get you one for a decent price.

Maybe we can get together in the next week or two an you can try one out.

Check out Davidson’s Link:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default...p;zipcode=78735

Uncle Spiteful

Boon Doggle,...you too funny..."Schuetz atum",...haha. Thnx for chiming in on this. I may hold you to that or you can shoot mine if I get it before I see you next. Could you PM your load you are using if you don't mind. I guess you can't post loads on the board. I'd like to hit that "Quigley Bucket" out there for starters. thanks everybody for the feedback. sounds like it's unanimous.

Hey there Pards, with 45-70 High Walls, what are your bore and groove dimentions? Please?

Hey Virgil

My Uberti 45-70 HiWall barrel slugs out at:

Bore = 0.450"

Groove = 0.456"

This is the same as Uberti's spec. sheet.

(I use 415 gr. bullets that are sized at 0.458")

Great rifle. Great shooting rifle!

Jake

Howdy :

I shoot an 1885 made by C.Sharps out in Big Timber Mt . Great gun in 38-55 . I have a single set trigger that if you want to go long range is a great help if not a must . A quality set of soule sights & hadley eye piece also must haves . They use Badger barrels so you are getting one of the best . Check out the website to see what will be done soon .

Regards

Paso Tom

I have an 1885 Uberti "Winchester" in .45-70, that I'm getting 3 shot, 1" groups with.

I'm curious to see what the new tang sight, Hadley eye piece and Globe front sight will do a 200 and 300 yards.

I'm using a 350 grain bullet, but I think a heavier, longer bullet will give better long range results.

I also have a '74 Sharps and a Rolling Block, in .45-70, but the favourite is the 1885.

You won't regret getting one.

Archived