SASS Wire Forum

Black Powder Question

:D I have a late 1960s Naval Arms brass frame 44. Hasn't been shot in over 30 years. All the nipples were frozen in cylinder. Through copious amounts of penetrating oil and several wrenches all but one now free and out of cylinder. After I free the last one, does anyone have a recommendation for anti-seize compound to use when reinstalling?

Thanks.

SaukValley Sam :huh:

I have seen a Thompson Center anti-sieze product that they recommend for use on the breech plugs on their in-line rifles. However, I don't see why you couldn't just use regular anti-sieze compound from an auto parts store. Probably the same stuff, just in a different package.

That's what I use, for BP nipples, breech plugs, and the mag tube cap on Uberti rifles. Automotive anti-seize. Works fine for me,

GJ

:D Thanks to all for responses. I used to shoot this pistol in Tucson AZ when I bought it new. Few people shooting BP then. Everyone at the range would come over asking what the heck was all the smoke about. They would ask to shoot it an let me shoot their magnums (Dirty Harry films just out then).

Sam first off I dont store my 1860s with the nipples in but once off the range and guns cleaned they live in a plastic film 35mm fillm cannister with a little balistol on them. When I gear up for a match I smear a little TC wonderlube on the threads as a just in case, never a problem getting them out.

One thing if yu do store them out of the guns MAKE SURE THEY GO WITH YOU! Had that jump up and bite me one year before a plainsman side match which was kind of embarassing and led to all kinds of jokes about me and my nipples.

Through copious amounts of penetrating oil and several wrenches all but one now free and out of cylinder. After I free the last one, does anyone have a recommendation for anti-seize compound to use when reinstalling?

Sam, to free that last frozen nipple, dab it with a solution of 50:50 ATF transmission fluid and acetone. For the unfrozen ones, a light coating of Permatex Anti-Seize works

Use the 50:50 solution to unfreeze rusted bolts and was surprised how fast it unfreezes BP frozen parts the 1st time I tried it

I either put some Ballistol or Bore Butter on a patch, then rub the threads on the patch. I've never had one stick.

On another thread I read that Oil of Wintergreen is a very effective penetrating oil. Never tried it, but it was a machinist that posted it. I figger he knew what he was talking about but ya never know.

I make it a habit to pull all the nipples in my C&B revolvers about once a year. I use aftermarket stainless

or TRESO nipples exclusively now.

Then I re-install them with regular automotive or aviation sparkplug anti-sieze dope, and don't over-torque them. This action makes sure none are "frozen in".

I don't remove the nipples at all during normal regular cleaning.

This has worked well for the past ten years or so...no problems.

Archived