SASS Wire Forum

Range Report

JD Trampas, SASS # 55781

First off let me tell you I'm not into small frame revolvers like these, but for conceal carry they are good. I'm more into the full frame revolvers we shoot in CAS and I do better with these but they are hard to conceal, around here winter would be good but not summer.

Ok, went to the range this morning with 150 rounds of ammo, shot 75 in each of these guns. I'm a warm kind of person, hate cold weather, so this morning it was 25 degrees, that is very cold for me, these old bones don't care for cold, give me 90 degrees and I'm very happy camper.

Shot both of these at 7 yards, not bad, shot high, not used to the sights, as I was getting used to the sights the groups came down farther on paper, everything went on paper, so I was happy about that, I was the only one at the range which was good for me. The paper targets were of typing paper that I downloaded off one of the sights you can print off targets from. 100 rounds were Winchester 130 grain full metal jacket value pack from Wally World, 50 rounds of Winchester 125 JSP that I had not sure where I got them, have had this ammo for 2 years so I wanted to shoot them to get the brass. Like I said getting used to the sights I was shooting to the left a little and finally compesated for this and got them centered as the best I could, not into small frame but was happy with the outcome. It was chilly for me and the sun was coming up but still could see the target well enough to shoot, usually shoot afternoon when sun is behind me and usually don't shoot in winter at all. But I couldn't let these sit in the safe all winter waiting for warm weather.

Ejection on the Smith usually left 1 or 2 that I had to pull by hand, just didn't completely come out, now the Ruger LCR ejected every time, all shells came out, with the smith I tried it harder but still left 1 or 2 but most generally just one, can't speak if this is typical or not, was happy about ejection on the LCR

My groups as I got used to the guns were in the 2 1/2" to 3" range at 7 yards, now granted I'm not the best shot out there, so someone that shoots these snub nose revolvers could do better than me, but was happy with what I did. When my groups were hitting the center of target I was one happy camper to say the least, haven't shot anything since Sep at the last cowboy shoot I did. Like I say, I hate cold weather, LOL

Now if anyone decides to get one or the other, you won't be disappointed in them, they are accurate enough for what they are intended for, right now I give the edge to the S&W 642 even if it doesn't eject the shells as good as the ruger, that could change as I shoot it more and get it broken in more. Now for triggers, I give the S&W the hands up, ruger not bad, but it felt like I had to go farther forward on trigger than I did with the S&W so that is why I'm giving the S&W my vote on trigger. Now as I shoot both of them more I might change to the LCR, never know until I get enough rounds thru them and broken in.

This was my first outing with both of them and only 75 rounds a piece thru them, next time I go hopefully it will be warmer and I will be wearing some kind of glove, my hand is beat up and broke some skin on my thumb and the more I shot them the skin breaking got bigger, now granted both are lightweight and that is to be expected with the recoil, these are not target guns that you want to put alot of rounds thru, they was built for conceal carry and personal protection.

Hope this helps everyone out that are looking at these, I'm no expert on snub nose revolver, but I don't think you could go wrong on either of these. I wanted to let everyone know about these since my other thread on these revolvers people wanted to know how they shoot and what I thought about them.

All for now JD Trampas

I had one 642 that ejected fine and another had an occasional hangup. A little polishing of the chamber cleared it up.

Thanks for the report, JD.

Yeah, the little suckers do beat up your hand a bit, but I still try to run 50 or so rounds a month through mine so I stay proficient. At close range, I'm sure I would hit the bad guy, but I want to be able to hit him where it hurts.

I use to have a FFL, and that afforded me a certain flexibility in obtaining a raft of firearms to try out or to keep and stainless S&W J frames were of no exception. At one time or the other I have owned just about every stainless model S&W was and are currently making in the J frame department. My personal favorite had to of been the 649. During this testing quest I was fishing for what worked best for my wife (standard stainless Lady Smith) and once I found that out, acting like it was just another part of my ongoing gun phase I set it aside for a future gift. I got it Mag-na-ported, then sent to Smith for engraving including my wife's signature on the side plate. Wrapped it up and boy was she surprised! Out of all the J frames, that one had the best features of any of them. Pull, weight, everything except the hammer spur. That and it was just before the model change to 357 so it's still just 38 spec. I've not had experience with the LCR but I tell you a CT gripped J frame is a recipe that's hard to beat. Smithy.

When I bought these 2 revolvers, I also looked at the S&W bodyguard, it has the laser on it, not on the grips, it sits higher on frame, it is idea for us southpaws, I played with it at the store, the clerk is also left handed as well, she told me this is the first gun that is left handed friendly with a laser that she knows of of, to open the cylinder it is located toward the top of frame instead of the left side of frame, use your thumb to open the cylinder and you can also use your right thumb or finger to activate the laser which I did in the store, but I chose the 2 I got instead. The laser has adjustment for windage and elevation

All for now JD Trampas

Archived