SASS Wire Forum

Winchester Featherlights

Seperating hulls, and came across a couple dozen Featherlights; there is no seperate listing for them in my Manual or on the Hodgdon site; are they treated the same as AAs for reloading recipe purposes?

A while back, someone offered up a recipe that duplicated Featherlight loads; is that still in circulation?

Many thanks.

LL

Answer to first question, Yes.

Second question is yes: Go to the Winchester Powder site and look up data for Winchester WAALite. They have the listing for all sorts of variations of Featherlites. The powder can lists the exact receipe, however it uses 26 gm. of shot, a really funky number unless you have an adjustable shot bar. A very close load is listed for 7/8 oz. of shot with a WAA12L wad.

26 grams = .917+ ounces.

24.805+ grams = 7/8 ounce.

The 7/8 ounce loads are lighter than Feather Lites due to less shot weight if you keep the velocity the same.

Winchester WW12FL8 (Feather Lites) velocity = 980/'sec.

26 grams = .917+ ounces.

24.805+ grams = 7/8 ounce.

The 7/8 ounce loads are lighter than Feather Lites due to less shot weight if you keep the velocity the same.

Winchester WW12FL8 (Feather Lites) velocity = 980/'sec.

Technically speaking, 1 oz. loads are sometimes listed as 28 gram loads, and 24 gram loads are approx. 7/8 oz. loads. So effectively, a 26 gram load woud be approx. 15/16 oz.

It takes an extremely fast burning powder to be able to reduce loads that slow, (980 FPS), so if wish to duplicate those loads, you will need to use the Winchester WAALite powder. Distribution of this powder is pretty spotty, so it may be very difficult to obtain in some areas.

If you are interested in a 7/8 oz. load at approx 1050 FPS, Using Clays Powder, (Very easy on the shoulder), PM me and I'll give you the data. I also have a 1 oz. load at approx. 1100 FPS that I like very much. Takes those hard set KD targets down nicely.

WST powder works very well for featherlight equivalent loads, and burns much more reliably in cold weather than whatever they use in factory featherlights.

Seperating hulls, and came across a couple dozen Featherlights; there is no seperate listing for them in my Manual or on the Hodgdon site; are they treated the same as AAs for reloading recipe purposes?

A while back, someone offered up a recipe that duplicated Featherlight loads; is that still in circulation?

Many thanks.

LL

I have reloaded Featherlight hulls the same as my reloaded AA hulls for 10 years now. Never had a problem.

Chicken Coop

Howdy Loophole

How ya making out with that new MEC?

DJ:

Pumpin' out the loads - no problems. Reloading AAs with Win 209 primers, WAA12 wads, 1 1/8 of 8, and Hodgdon's mild Clays spec. Shot a few at the range last week-end, and all is well. Definately much easier than learning cartridge reloading.

LL

Archived