SASS Wire Forum

WANTED: Marlin 1895 Cowboy Front Sight

The Marlin 1895 Cowboy I bought used (Yeehaw!) came with a Globe front sight. I'm thinking about shifting back to the factory front sight to better fit the CAS 100 to 300 yard side match games we play out here on the Left Coast. .

So... I'm going to need the full front sight assembly: ramp, blade, etc one piece dove-tail mount. Do any pards have an extra one floating around in their parts boxes?

Thanks, UM

Doesn't that front sight just fit into a 3/8 dovetail? You should be able to get a Williams or Marble's front sight of the appropriate height and tap it in. I don't think the Cowboy version had a ramp sight base.

Should look something like this

Didn't think the Cowboy had a ramp. How is that globe sight attached? If it's in a dovetail just knock it out and put in a new standard front sight. You can get the ramp and screws from Brownells if you need them. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=7...ticsdetail/1895

I'd thought like you Doc, but the Marlin 1895CB schematic shows a multipart assembly. (Wouldn't you know it, the page for the Marlin 1895 Manual is down today.) The 1895CB front sight seems to be much higher than the 1894 sight.

I'm hoping to keep that wondermus rifle fairly stock, so I'm hoping a pard that installed the Globe sight would be willing to part with his.

Yep, LEP, it's a dovetail mount. May have to call ol' Marlin and ask.

Thanx!

[Edit:] Thanks for the link LEP, I hadn't noticed the alternate dovetail mount that could only be for the Cowboy! Thanks guys!

Still looking for a pard that'd like to sell his for a bit o' cash.

Uno, does your gun have a round or octagon barrel? If'n it's round you'll need the ramp. Octagon barrel should have a dovetail.

Thanks Doc, it's octagonal with a dovetail mount. Just got the 1895 out of the safe to check -- and dry fire -- and play with just a bit.... ;^)'

Hey Pard,

Before you go and replace that globe front sight that front sight along with a tang sight makes an excellent combo for long range SASS matches. That's the way I have mine set up. You can change out the inserts in the globe to match target/distances you are shooting. Think about adding a Lyman tang sight for a real nice way to shoot that 26" barreled Marlin 1895.

The globe is the standard dovetail mount. Let me look in my rifle parts bin, I may have the original that came off of my cowboy, I'll send you a PM if I have it, your welcomed to it.

JTTH,

TB

Thanks TB!

Let me tell you why a pard is recommending I go back to the factory front sight. Tell me if I'm crazy(er.)

Most of our Kalifornium "long-range" CAS sidematches are around 100 yards: perfect for the factory sights. Occasionally, we can stretch our legs, out to 200 - 300, or even (gasp) 500 yards: perfect for the already installed tang-mounted Marbles sight, using the factory front sight. Many of my pards use that set-up: factory front and rear sights, with a tang mounted flip-up Marbles sight. You'd sight in the factory sights for 100 yards; the Marbles Tang for 300 or so. I'd said I'd give it a try, shooting with and without the Globe sight.

Thanks guys, for all the interests and good advice this simple (minded) post has generated!

UM

By adding the Lyman tang sight at the rear, you would then have an easily adjustable rear sight (count the # of clicks) to range from 100-300+ yards for long range shooting. The globe front sight is much better for the 200+ yards targets. I like the center circle for zeroing in on the distant targets.

Heading to the loading room tonight and I'll search for the original Marlin 1985 front sight.

TB

Uno,

I shoot mine competively from 200-400 yards at our club ( http://www.kansascas.com/long-range.htm ).

The original front sight ( Marble's #50W) is to tall for targets beyond yards with loads that won't rattle your teeth. I bought a Marble's #41W from Midway for around $12.00. I use the factory rear sight for targets out to 150 yards and a Marble's tang to get me out to 400 yards. This has worked out great for me. I've won two KS state campionships plus a second and third place. These rifles really shoot. I'd be happy to share my bullet powder recipe that is easy on the pocket book and shoulder with you via PM if you are interested.

Have FunWith This Rifle,

Tater

:rolleyes:

PS The 41W sight looks just like the 50w but shorter

Archived