SASS Wire Forum

WTB .22 riffle and .410SxS for backaroo

My Daughter wants in on it now. Geees I thought it was goung to be expensive for me but my son and daughter both are getting into it which i think is awesome but might break ole Pop. I have here some single sixs now but still in need of a good cheap(i know asking too much) .22 riffle and .410 SxS. If anyone can help a tapped Father get his kids involved i would greatly appriciate it.

MUch Obliged

Max Henry

My Daughter wants in on it now. Geees I thought it was goung to be expensive for me but my son and daughter both are getting into it which i think is awesome but might break ole Pop. I have here some single sixs now but still in need of a good cheap(i know asking too much) .22 riffle and .410 SxS. If anyone can help a tapped Father get his kids involved i would greatly appriciate it.

MUch Obliged

Max Henry

IMHO the best 22 rifle for a youth (young lady) would be the Winchester 1906. Check GunBroker.com. A fair price for a nice 100% original 1906 that hasn't been refinished or all jacked around would be about $300.00 to $600.00. I found one for $200.00 that is 100% original, it needed some serious cleaning and a slight adjustment. It works great. Saving it for my grandson.

Roy

The ruger single six is a bigger gun than some you can get. My grandson is almost 8 and he shoots my P model 38s better than the 22s.I got him a Henry model HOO1Y it is the lightest lever gun I could find the stock is to long but I have one coming.It is very smooth and easy to lever.$250.00 new in the box and shoots realy good.I got a 410 single shot for him to start with they or cheap and light. the double is a little heavy for him.Good luck

Double barrel .410 shotguns are normally VERY expensive to buy, and expensive to shoot. A low end 12 gauge SxS with very light loads and a good recoil pad on a short stock is a much better and cheaper way to go. Next choice would be the single barrel break opens, in either 12 or .410. If they are just starting, a shared shotgun might be a good idea.

Good luck, GJ

Double barrel .410 shotguns are normally VERY expensive to buy, and expensive to shoot. A low end 12 gauge SxS with very light loads and a good recoil pad on a short stock is a much better and cheaper way to go. Next choice would be the single barrel break opens, in either 12 or .410. If they are just starting, a shared shotgun might be a good idea.

Good luck, GJ

My son started shooting CAS a few months ago and he is 8 yrs old and is small. He is shooting a '97 in 12 ga. and we cut half of the stock off. Our loads are real light (the less shot, the less recoil). If your kids will be in the buckaroo category they do not have to knock down the shotgun targets. A double would have been better but I didn't have an extra one laying around. My son is shooting a Winchester 94/22 in .22cal, and we also cut the stock off this as well. FYI..our walmart sells the Henry .22s for a reasonable price, but I really do not know much about them.

I bought a cheap SxS with damascus barrels recently and have put sleeves in for .410 in anticipation of eventual shooting by my grandson. I reload all shotgun shells with black powder, . . so the cost of .410s is less than bigger ones . . . less powder and shot in them. Just whut I'm doing. Watching out for .22 pistols and lever gun but not in a hurry . . . will buy when decent priced ones appear.

I might add to my first post that the Winchester 1906 is a youth model, perfect for young boys and girls without having to cut the stock. If you do your shopping it can be a great investment as well. Not to mention the style points would be off the chart. :wub::):wub:

Roy

My son who is 9 wants to shoot also. Instead of buying .22 and .410 caliber guns and then having to buy new guns in a couple years I am starting him off with a pair of Ruger .357s and a Rossi .357 rifle. For the shotgun im thinking about going with a 20 gage double since I know he can shoot a 20 gage with no problems. These would be guns that he could use for a longer period of time and save me money in the long run.

Archived