SASS Wire Forum

Post by Texas Man

Texas Man

I would like to thank all those who read and responded to my post about the incident I had a few weeks ago. My intentions on the subject was to remind Pards who may face something like that in the future to try to turn the odds in your favor should it turn bad. Had I know the reaction I stirred up I would not have posted the post. It did bring several thousand hits and a good number of replys on the subject and I feel that was good in the long run.

One thing that was pointed out to me in Over 300, almost 400 e-mails to me was the fact that we come from different areas of the counrty and some may live where their greatest chance of trouble may be a single robber. Where as other Pards myself included live in a much different envirement. I have gone out to check my fence line and found my fences cut and my livestock butchered and hunting cabins broken into and I have had armed drug runners and human traffickers shoot at me and my workers on MY OWN LAND. and its getting worst. In San Antonio, Where I live ever day I see the same thing car jacking and robberies and it is no longer a matter of one day it may happen but rather when it does will I be ready. I will not go futher on this subject but the inputs on the post were very helpful and a lot of information was shared on the matter.

I respect the moderators that they let the post run as long as it did and I was ready for it to be pulled anyway. I have enjoyed the fellowship on this web SASS and have met many of the greatest Pards in the world here. I do realize the subject on selfdefence does come up here from time to time and I really feel deep respect when active and retired Lawmen and people with experence contribit their experence and thoughts on the matter. If I can save one decent hard working family man that is a fellow Pard here with experence to help him should he ever face that time that is my goal. I will from time to time share a story here either one told to me by some of the really old timers I had the honor to know or perhaps a first hand experence I have had. If One does not like my post then they can ,,No I am not going to say that,,, they can press the button and go to the next post. Anyone who feels like adding something or has a question please send me a message, I return all my mail.

P.S. As some of you know I am an advanced gun collector and hunter and I enjoy exchanging information on the subject posted here.

Texas Man

Thanks for coming over to the Saloon (ACS) and talking to us.

I thought some of the responses to your thread were unnecessary and unnecessarily harsh.

I dare say that you won't be treated like that over here in the Saloon (ACS).

Pull up a chair, have a drink and tell us another one.

Cascade Charlie

Well, I think I got the gist of it but didn't see your post before it was pulled. Always love to hear your stories and you're more than welcome over here. No offense intended but some of the stuff on the Wire makes me want to have a long drink and not take matters so seriously or personally.

I really wish you would get your notes, thoughts, and whatever else together for publishing. I'm an avid student of Texas history mostly the Panhandle/Rolling Plains area and read most everything I can but some of the really good stuff is lore that is all too often lost.

From previous posts and some PM's I gather your main collecting interests revolve around Colt/Winchesters. Got any stories about old Sharps or Remington Rolling Block sporters?

TM,

always enjoy reading your post, you should stay around here in the saloon, them folks on the wire must be in need of some fiber.

Best,

DB

Maybe it's only appropriate over on the WAHR side if you use it to write a stage? :D The Saloon is a lot better place for it. Just be sure you keep 'em coming.

Thanks for the Welcom Gentlemen. I already feel like I am standing among Men, Not wimps. I sometimes think real men are fast becoming a thing of the past and the other day I happen to overhear some of the women in my company talking in the breakroom about men today. One said people think Us women are trying to take over and it seems we are forced to do it because most men today are either moma boys or dont want to work and we have to end up doing our jobs and theirs. By God it got me to thinking and the truth may not be that far off.

I feel the Saloon may be where the best place is amond fellow Pards who may think more like I do.

Last year was a very slow year and my gun buying was as well.I sure hope this year will be better and I have a few old guns on my want list.

Your Pard, Texas Man

...Texas Man, TM, you're always welcome to the fire 'ere in Indian Territory...

...although we're not in the same situation as you, we seem to be headed in that direction as well....

...and I thought we lived far enough out in the country so as not to be bothered....

...and yes, I gotta go ride our fences this morning and feed cows....

...God bless you and yours....

Hello Texas Man,

Welcome to the Saloon-Side of the Wire. You'll find there's a slightly different rhythm over here, and most of us like it that way. I saw your post on the other side, and while I had a few questions about the whole ordeal, some of the responses you got were WAY out of line. I don't think you'll find that happening here as you share stories and thoughts, which I hope you continue to do.

A few years ago I conducted a grand experiment by carefully crafting a post for the Wire and Saloon. I forgot the exact topic but it was one of those common things that get argued like Ruger vs Colt, 38 vs 45, or something like that. I used several sarcastic comments in the post, and then placed the exact same post on both the Wire and in the Saloon.

Replies on the Wire were off-the-charts mad! Folks got their panties in a wad and things got all sorts of ugly.

Over here in the Saloon, folks had a good laugh, made a few replies which were serious and well thought out but not hostile. The tones were completely different.

Three days later I made another post in the Wire and Saloon where I linked to both threads and let folks see the different responses generated in each forum. Not that anything changed because of my little experiment, but it was a fun illustration.

Thanks again for coming over to the Saloon. Is your tab open, or maybe I'll be a nice host and buy your first round.

What?? A post pulled before I got to comment on it? What the .... okay,,,, ya'll need to call me next time.. lol.. Welcome to the Saloon.. with a capital S BTW... you will get in trouble is you don't do the capital.. you will have to buy and do the dishes... at least they made me do that, and sweep the floors, unsaddle their horses, and do their cooking for a week... I think they do that to everyone? right guys? lol

What?? A post pulled before I got to comment on it? What the .... okay,,,, ya'll need to call me next time.. lol.. Welcome to the Saloon.. with a capital S BTW... you will get in trouble is you don't do the capital.. you will have to buy and do the dishes... at least they made me do that, and sweep the floors, unsaddle their horses, and do their cooking for a week... I think they do that to everyone? right guys? lol

Sorry Dear - that was special just for you - sorta showing folks that you weren't just decorative, but down right handy too!

You are!

SC

Archived