SASS Wire Forum

Aircraft Identification....?

Saw a really cool lookin' plane flyin' over several times today, and for the life of me I can't figger out what it is - and it's drivin' me plumb nuts!

Description: High wing, with struts... twin engine... sorta resembling an Otter, but not nearly as streamlined (very square fuselage when viewed from front or rear), empennage had horizontal stab and twin vertical stabilizers.... sounded throaty and looked like a flying crate with a plank for a wing! Dunno if gear was retractable or not, but was down whenever it flew over on approach to the local airport.

Any hints...? :rolleyes:

You went through the time tunnel again, didn't you ! :rolleyes:

Horace

Yeah.... Wish I was aboard 'er...! :wub:

Real freakin' ugly?

It could only be the Short 330 or the USAF variant C-23 Sherpa

Ugly as only the Brits could design. I've seen better looking helicopters.

Well as a Air Traffic Controller for 25 years, I can only surmise that it would have looked like a radar target to me. All my time spent in a room with no windows makes it hard to ID those rascals! Sorry!!

Saw a really cool lookin' plane flyin' over several times today, and for the life of me I can't figger out what it is - and it's drivin' me plumb nuts!

Description: High wing, with struts... twin engine... sorta resembling an Otter, but not nearly as streamlined (very square fuselage when viewed from front or rear), empennage had horizontal stab and twin vertical stabilizers.... sounded throaty and looked like a flying crate with a plank for a wing! Dunno if gear was retractable or not, but was down whenever it flew over on approach to the local airport.

Any hints...? :wub:

Hardpan,

Sounds like one of a couple variants of a "Shorts" cargo/passenger a/c. Commonly used by contract carriers or some of the smaller regional airline carriers on contract to the majors. I've flown in them under the guise of "TW Express" 15-20 years ago or so in California when they were the regional feeder for former TWA (TWA purchased by American while in bankruptcy status). Used nationally and in Canada also. Once flew one across the Long Island sound in December snowstorm (into Islip) and iced up pretty good, but landed safely

Very reliable workhorse airplane still widely in use for short runway contract hauling routes by smaller contract outfits.

Cheers,

Harvey :rolleyes:

Any hints...? :rolleyes:

Yea, B-25

Could have been a Shorts (Irish, not British) Skyvan. Jumped out of one at Pitts Camp in Thailand when we were testing it. Tried to fit it with a Fulton Skyhook but decided to stick with the Caribou and A-26 for that purpose.

Still not as ugly as a Transavia Airtruk. See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transavia_PL-12_Airtruk and you might agree.

Definitely not a B-25.... :rolleyes:

Harvey, I think that's it!

Looks like a "Skyvan", but with a far simpler paint scheme than the one pictured...

Thanks! Now I'll be able to sleep nights... :wub:

Gotta wonder... how it manages to fly with that skinny plank of a wing~!

Definitely not a B-25.... :rolleyes:

Harvey, I think that's it!

Looks like a "Skyvan", but with a far simpler paint scheme than the one pictured...

Thanks! Now I'll be able to sleep nights... :wub:

Gotta wonder... how it manages to fly with that skinny plank of a wing~!

Correct then, Not B25; I saw a few of those during my service 66-69. Tested at Davidson Airfield in VA for Military. The lift is the body, not the wings, they are only the stabilizers as I remember. It's also turbo prop, not recip. Enjoy.

The Shorts 360 can operate comfortably from 1400 meter (4,500 foot) long runways, opening up hundreds of airfields inaccessible by scheduled flights. Cruise

grey_loader.gif

speed is about 370 km/h (215 mph), at an altitude of 10,000 feet. The PT6A turboprops are fully ICAO Stage 3 noise-compliant, making the 360 one of the quietest turboprop operating today. Indeed the 360 is subject to fewer restrictions on night flights into the heavily regulated London airports than virtually all the later turboprop designs.

Still not as ugly as a Transavia Airtruk. See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transavia_PL-12_Airtruk and you might agree.

UGLY is right .............

........ always reminds me of one of them funny lookin', bug-eyed goldfish ..... :rolleyes:

Yup, Spooky, I do believe that's it... I was typing my reply to Harvey and missed yours.

Uh... did that "truk" thing actually fly? Or did the earth just repel it for bein' so... well... heck, that thing's uglier'n a baby parrot! :rolleyes:

Yup, Spooky, I do believe that's it... I was typing my reply to Harvey and missed yours.

Uh... did that "truk" thing actually fly? Or did the earth just repel it for bein' so... well... heck, that thing's uglier'n a baby parrot! :D

Want to see one fly watsh "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome".

Don't forget Burt and or Dick Ruttan lives out your way too and does stuff in Mojave all the time.He flew that damn space ship over my house one night,sounded like a TWA in a coregated tunnel and it was fast,then his brother or whoever was following him in a small plane.My nephew knows him..

http://www.boingboing.net/images/ss1/ss1-taxi-landing.jpg

http://www.dickrutan.com/

http://www.dickrutan.com/report.html

I used to fly in those Shorts years ago. TWA and American used them on flights from Madison to Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, et al. Nice sound planes. Built like a truck. Everyonce in a while I see them used by express freigh companies to get in and out of small airports.

To paraphrase Forrestt Gump: Ugly is as Ugly does. The Airtruk is quite remarkable for what it does. Load the hopper with 1,000 pounds or so of some product and it's quite an efficient crop duster. The pilot I spoke with said it' a very stable aircraft and very easy to fly. Can carry up to 4 passengers, although probably not the most comfortable of carriers. Still, looking at it a flounder comes to mind.

Murphy said it best in his Laws of Combat. If it's a stupid idea, but it works, it ain't stupid.

As an Air Traffic Controller for 3 years I would have to surmise it probably was a C23 Sherpa, saw one come into Yuma once, and I remember right it is similar to what you described. I thought of a casa at first, but that’s definitely not it. Just so everyone knows, The REAL controllers work in a room made of windows, not one devoid of them! Just funnin RW had to say it!

A few skydiving companies use these...

Archived