SASS Wire Forum

“No camera” signs at gun shows

Captain Lee Bishop

All of the local gun shows have no concealed firearm and no camera signs all over the place. What really has me curious is why so many shows refuse cameras inside? And really, what difference does that make now that so many cell phones have cameras on them now. I can think of plenty of times I could have bought something for a pal by sending a photo via my cell to someone so they can make the call for me to buy for them. The last gun show I went to, they asked everyone if they had cameras (didn’t even ask about loaded guns which to me says something but I don’t know what it is), and I held up my cell and said, “Sure I do, same as probably 3/4ths of everyone who’s gone by you. What’s the big deal anyway, because you know people have these now?” He couldn’t answer. Is this one of those things people have been doing for so long, that now nobody can remember the original reason why it is?

So for those who put on gun shows, why is it such a big deal for people not to have cameras? I can’t think of any legitimate reason for this and now most people have cells with cameras, I think it’s a moot point. That horse left the barn years ago, so why is the gate still locked?

Don't know about the camera question.

But I didn't hear you say you'd buy your friend a gun .........

Repeat, I didn't hear you say you'd buy your friend a gun ......

Remember, I'm your friend and I might, at some later date, buy from you a gun that you bought for "yourself" - RIGHT?

Other govt. folk read these things Lee :rolleyes:

I worked security at gun shows for several years. We never prohibited cameras, but we did have one instance that I think cameras were used in an attempt to commit a crime.

Several obvious hoodlums came in together. They split up as soon as they came through the door, and started snapping pictures of guns, and the layout of the show. They were also on the phone, giving specific directions on how to find specific guns (GLOCK pistols, AK47's, etc.). After conferring with the owner, I approached a couple of them who had met back up and told them that they couldn't photograph any more guns without express permission of the owners. They made a couple of comments about us, and left.

At end of day, I checked all the entrances to the building we were in. There were about six doors on one side of the building...two of them had wads of paper stuck into the strike plate holes to keep the lock bolt from holding the door closed. I removed those, and settled in for the night. Around 2:00 am, someone rattled every door on that side of the building.

As that was as far as it went, I didn't bother the local cops, and I didn't go outside to "see". But I'll always be convinced they were intending to burglarize the building that night, and were picking out what they wanted and where it was.

I still do work security at gun shows, and the primary reason that our organization has for prohibiting cameras is requests by several exhibitors who do not want their collections photographed. We have a sign conspiculously posted at each entrance to the facility informing patrons of our no pictures policy. Additionally, we don't let any members of the local anti-gun media into the show without being accompanied by a Director. Lawman Mark brings up another good point for not allowing obvious cameras into the show as his personal expreience points out.

You're right, Capt. Lee - everybody's cell phone has a camera in it now. We,(Security) just rely upon individual dealers who have a problem with people photographing their goods to call us and let us deal with it. Just one of those things, I guess.

Call me a dinosaur. My cell phone doesn't have a camera.

And I don't tweet either. :D

Maybe I just don't get it. The safety aspect makes sense in the case of someone casing the place, but would you set up a dispay and go bonkers over someone taking photos? I'll never understand the air of paranoia that follows some folks who are into guns. Are they worried that the camera will steal their soul or something? As for anti-gun media, if you have something going on you wouldn't want the public to see, why have a public event at all, then?

I'm sure Lee was talking about an ash tray or little statue of a prairie dog or something. At least that is how I chose to read it. :rolleyes:
Actually, buying a gun for someone didn’t even cross my mind. I primarily hit gun shows looking for stuff for my WW2 collection, things like helmets, gear and uniforms and such. My brother collects WW2 theater-made knives and swords, that’s the kind of stuff I was thinking of. I’ve never actually bought any firearm at a gun show before. It’s not that I refuse to buy firearms at shows, I’ve just never found what I was looking for, at the price I wanted to pay for it and having that money on me at the time at a gunshow.

And that’s not a “cover my backside” post either. It really didn’t even cross my mind until I read the replies here.

Jest pullin' yer chain Capt'n,

Ah members goin' to them Puyallup shows 25 years ago,

an see'n all them Winnie 92'. an 94's,

nobody wanted em', they'd go cheap.

NOW a daze! Heck, ah cud retire on couple dozen .... :rolleyes:

Archived