SASS Wire Forum

President gets an apology

I am a fan of Gunny Sgt. R. Lee Ermy, and was pleased to hear his comments at the Toys for Tots fundraiser. I think he was spot on with his frustration with the economy and voiced it well. At the same time, it was a fundraiser for kids. Still...he is an A+ character in my book. Even more so with his recent apology for his politically driven comments...Right on Sarge!!

Ermey's full statement:

A Message from the Gunny

"I recently appeared at a fundraising event designed to collect toys and raise awareness for underprivileged children. While that event succeeded in raising thousands of dollars and hundreds of toys for this cause, I regret that I delivered a monologue that was inappropriately critical of the President. I was trying to be entertaining and simply went too far in this instance. I am mindful that my success as an entertainer relates in part to my experience in the Marine Corps, my devotion to its members, and the deep respect I have for members of all our Armed Forces. My comments should not be seen as reflecting on them or their views. I was just very disappointed in the amount of success that we were having raising toys and money for the underprivileged children this season. The poor economy has greatly hampered our efforts. My comments were misguided, and emotionally based, and for that I am truly sorry."

Semper Fi

R. Lee Ermey

G (of course, we all know what he feels about the current administration ;) ) G ~ :FlagAm:

Kinda sad to see that even Gunny has to be politically correct in this day and age. I am sure that "apology" was the result of his agent getting on his butt to do it for the good of his professional future.

It sure seemed easier back when you could say what you wanted without worrying that some group of people that you have never met may take offense and cause you problems. I certainly would not want to be any type of celebrity, the spotlight is a little too bright. Everything they say or do is scrutinized by every wacko and "un politically correct" comments that are not "retracted by written apology" become professional poison. Luckily, nobody cares what I say, so I can say what I think without worry of somebody boycotting me. :FlagAm:

Kinda sad to see that even Gunny has to be politically correct in this day and age.

Too bad Barry, Nancy, and Harry aren't held to the same standard. I'll love to be able to go back in time and twist it so Barry had a certain Sgt. for a DI that was nose to nose asking him what his major malfunction was.

:rolleyes: Seems to me his comments were EXTREMELY mild compared to the hate-filled vitriol directed at President Bush by his detractors.

Dog Ears that's the best comment on this subject I've heard yet. Ya nailed it there pard, Rye

:wub:

:rolleyes: Seems to me his comments were EXTREMELY mild compared to the hate-filled vitriol directed at President Bush by his detractors.

OR, that female so-called comedian who has been going after Sarah Palins children with so-called jokes.

..........Widder

OR, that female so-called comedian who has been going after Sarah Palins children with so-called jokes.

..........Widder

Sarah Palin is just dandy in my book...good for America too IMHO!..

but hey, I'm off topic :FlagAm:

GG ~ :rolleyes:

Archived