SASS Wire Forum

7.62x51/.308 Semi-Auto Rifles

Chief Rick

Looked at a Springfield Armory Standard M1A and a SOCOM 16 today. Love the looks of the Standard. Reminds of the M14's that we used to have on ships. Loved that rifle.

Have handled a DPMS .308 fixed stock rifle with A3 flat-top/detachable carry handle but never fired one.

Magazine prices seem to be around the $40-$50 mark for both platforms.

Is one platform more accurate than the other?

Is one platform easier to clean/maintain than the other?

Is one platform more reliable than the other?

I would want a low-to-mid power variable scope mounted to whichever rifle I was to get. I am not real fond of the scout scope - don't like the scope being so far forward. But then I'm not sure of the mounting options for a Standard M1A. Not very difficult to mount a scope to an AR platform.

This is my take on the M1A/ M14, took my deer with this one. It takes a mount on the side. Here is the M&P Scout.

AR15, Rail what more can I say, it's still a 22.

Looked at a Springfield Armory Standard M1A and a SOCOM 16 today. Love the looks of the Standard. Reminds of the M14's that we used to have on ships. Loved that rifle.

Have handled a DPMS .308 fixed stock rifle with A3 flat-top/detachable carry handle but never fired one.

Magazine prices seem to be around the $40-$50 mark for both platforms.

Is one platform more accurate than the other? AR15 no doubt.

Is one platform easier to clean/maintain than the other? probably not, nuts and bolts.

Is one platform more reliable than the other? M14 no doubt.

I would want a low-to-mid power variable scope mounted to whichever rifle I was to get. I am not real fond of the scout scope - don't like the scope being so far forward. But then I'm not sure of the mounting options for a Standard M1A. Not very difficult to mount a scope to an AR platform.

Just get a Springfield M1A, thats what I'm doing in 2 and a half months, unless you want to put a bunch of lights. lasers and other crap on it, then go with the DPMS....

Yeah...can't imagine the lights and lasers doing that good at 300 yards!

GG ~ :wacko:

The M1A platform is perfectly suited to the 7.62x51. It is a battle proven package. Accurate and tough as nails.

I have the M1a, I just like walnut and steel. Could not afford the Nat. Match version so I got the "Loaded" version, and it still shoots better than I can. M1a gets my vote

Get the M14/M1A. Super rifle. Go to Bassett Machine for a scope mount. I was very skeptical of their claims but was pleasantly surprised after I ordered one. All that they say about the mount is true. You can remove and replace it without loss of zero. Very easy to take off and put back on.

Santa brought me an M1A Scout Squad rifle. The difference between that an the other offerings is an 18" barrel (the standard is 22" and the SOCOM is 16"). I got the walnut stock ('cause I'm not a "plastic" fan :wacko: ). I'm also making a scabbard (based on the design of the M-1 Garand cavalry scabbard) that will allow me to carry the rifle on the horse or tractor around the farm.

I've not fired it yet. I did do the cleaning and lubing. I've got the materials to do the stock. Just need some time (and maybe a bit warmer weather).

SQQ

Rick,

I know this is not what you asked but here's my 2 cents worth. I have had the M1A, HK 91, HK 770 & now a DSarms fal with 21". All are good. Mags are inexpensive for the FAL or the 91.

Back here in Virginia,

Shenny

I have the M1a, I just like walnut and steel. Could not afford the Nat. Match version so I got the "Loaded" version, and it still shoots better than I can. M1a gets my vote

I did choose the Nat. Match version, cause that's all they had a Shooters Supply & Tackle in Hutchinson. They put on the scope and did the inital setup.

GG your right, take a helluva light at 300 yds. I suppose a laser would work if adjusted, I know I can put a spot on the golf course shed a half mile away, doubt if I could shoot that far. I read about those with the 800+ shots on M14, but at may age...........

Yall have a good one, Cobb

I did choose the Nat. Match version, cause that's all they had a Shooters Supply & Tackle in Hutchinson. They put on the scope and did the inital setup.

GG your right, take a helluva light at 300 yds. I suppose a laser would work if adjusted, I know I can put a spot on the golf course shed a half mile away, doubt if I could shoot that far. I read about those with the 800+ shots on M14, but at may age...........

Yall have a good one, Cobb

I think it is in Guns Magazine this month, they have a write up on the Burris Laser Scope. It's still a lot of money. I have my HK 770 & the DSARMS 21" SA58 FAL. I'm thinking about mounted a 3200 series 10X on the 770. I don't know if I am going to scope the FAL or not.

Shenny

HK-91

Doesn't care about ammo. dirty or clean burning just doesn't care. No gas piston.

Scope mount goes on and off without loss of zero.

Had a friend with an FNFAL used Santa Barbara Spanish ammo I think. It was dirty. Fouled the gun in just a few rounds.

Had no trouble in my HK-91.

If you have no worries about ammo, the M-1A is a great rifle.

I got one of those DPMS AR model in 308. That sucker is heavy to tote around. Not familiar with the M1 or the M16 models. Always thought about getting one but never really had the opportunity. Shops around here don't carry them much. Even the AR-10 I have was a special order. The Ruger rifle would be interesting to see as well. I was intrigued by the Grendel round on the AR platform. Looks like a real puncher.

Someone said there was NO diff between .308 win and 7.62. They are wrong. There is a difference in 7.62 and .308 winchester just as there is between .223 and 5.56 mm. and the diff is in case wall thickness. Thicker cases mean less powder in the military loadings which chnages chmaber pressures and in some weapons that can be dangerous. Good news is you can find both military and the civilian versions with little trouble so shooting the correct casings shouldn't make a problem for Citizens of the USA.

Archived