SASS Wire Forum

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WIRE?

Been trying to get onto the Wire for more than an hour. What is up? Please don't tell me it is my computer or Internet connection, because I can access everything else I've tried tonight with little or no delay.

Someone forget to change out the hamsters?

Steeldust Dan

Money is what's wrong with the wire. Not enough band width to handle the traffic or keep everything that goes into it.

My 39 year old son is on a surf website and a tiki website that were started 6 and 8 years ago. everything that has ever been done

there is still there. Pictures can be posted and is like the wire used to be pre 2004.

Some one suggested that 6000-8000 people all donate a little $$ to keep it going. They do it.

We have 40,000+ members....if everyone gave a buck, maybe we could have more bandwidth too.

Big Jake

Been trying to get onto the Wire for more than an hour. What is up? Please don't tell me it is my computer or Internet connection, because I can access everything else I've tried tonight with little or no delay.

Someone forget to change out the hamsters?

Steeldust Dan

The Wire was only down for about 5 hours this time, I guess SASS gets what it pays for.

The Wire was only down for about 5 hours this time, I guess SASS gets what it pays for.

--------------------

Yep just got on it's about 0100 CST.

The Telegraph was actually a faster way to communicate than this wire. Welcome to the new old west! :lol:

I give up on the SASS after 4:30 pm central time, I can't get on or it takes to long to get a topic to come up, so I go to other forums where I have no problems at all, they need to upgrade big time

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. I have high speed cable and still have trouble here

Yep, it's been a problem on this wire for some time now. If I didn't miss SASS shooting so much I'd never come around here.

By the way, I'll get to my first SASS shoot in over a year this April and I'm already looking forward to it :wacko:

Don't be to quick to pile on the folks administering this site.

Connections are dependent on many things including, but not limited to: server sizing, configuration, service providers, software (server side and client side), location, weather and power. In almost all of the cases reported here I have found my connection to be just fine. That has been the story on other outages as well.

Certainly SASS could upgrade to version 3 of the IP software? This is V2.3.5. They can probably get a dedicated server or a bigger, faster dedicated server, but that won't help if somebody with a backhoe snips a fiber or if AT&T or Verizon or one of the other big players has an outage.

Oh, they will need some big $$$$ to do that and they may have other interests out there...

Olen

Whatever the problem is, they need to fix it. I paid my life membership dues a good while back, part of the package was the use of the wire. Last night I tried 27 times just to log on and finally gave up. That is ludicrous. If they are going to do the wire, they need to do it right!

Oh, they will need some big $$$$ to do that and they may have other interests out there...

Olen, let's do some finger counting:

IP Board Software= SASS complete Forum, not just the Wire

IP Board Software Features turned on - Minimal

Other free boards, features turned on - All

IP Board Software - Pictures, direct link only

Other free boards, Pictures, IMG Code (the picture is in the post)

IP Board Software - Our members have made a total of 73,488 posts for the complete SASS Forum, not just the Wire

(But Wire topics are only saved for 30 days = 660 Topics. Say avg 10 posts per topic=6600 posts Saved)

Other Free Boards - 6500 Topics with 56,000 posts ... Saved Forever

IP Board Software - We have 30,613 registered members

Other Free Boards - 3000 to 5000 registered members

(Are 30,613 registered members online daily? No. This nimber is just for Show and Tell)

IP Board Software members online daily ... "Most users ever online was 0 on --" - no disclosed and so is the daily count

Other Free Boards - members online daily ... 16 Spiders, 131 Guests, 15 Pardners, 0 Pardners in Chat (0 Buddies)

IP Board Response Times - Minutes and many time down completely

Other Free Boards Resonse Times - Seconds and hardly ever down

IP Board Software - $350 plus annual renewal fee plus Host Server expense, unknown

phBB and SMF Board Software - Free Software plus less than $200 per annual for Host Server expense

big $$$$ as you say ... I think not to run an efficient IP Board software for the SASS Forum in total

Olen, let's do some finger counting:

IP Board Software= SASS complete Forum, not just the Wire

IP Board Software - $350 plus annual renewal fee plus Host Server expense, unknownphBB and SMF Board Software - Free Software plus less than $200 per annual for Host Server expense

big $$$$ as you say ... I think not to run an efficient IP Board software for the SASS Forum in total

A board with these numbers:

Our Board Statistics

Total Posts1,338,008

Total Members 25,563

Online At Once Record 467

will require upwards of $8,000 per year in fees and maintenance. SASS may have other priorities for that kind of money.

Olen

Our Board Statistics

Total Posts1,338,008

(But Wire topics are only saved for 30 days = 660 Topics. Say avg 10 posts per topic=6600 posts Saved) = Pocket Change for Storage!

Olen, I know of no other board that deletes topic/post files after 30 days to save on host storage costs

It appears that "they" are interested:

SASS unveils new Web Home Page Today. In an effort to improve your on line experience SASS has been currently overhauling is web network. The New Home Page is the latest addition which now includes redesign of the END of TRAIL Pages, SASS Convention Pages and more recently the redesign of the Clubs and Annual Matches page. The SASS Web Site is cleaner, brighter and much more easily navigated than the old design. The new home page includes the use of navigation buttons which allow for quick access to events and information. The icon buttons will be seen through out the site. Although there are still a few pages that have not been redesigned we hope to have all pages changed to the new design within a month. So fell free to browse our site and offer you comments. We think you are going to like it.

Olen

Not only new web page...but the Wire is smoking for me tonight. I have never seen it this fast. Must have upgraded the server or something. If so, Thanks, Wild Bunch.

Johnny

Not only new web page...but the Wire is smoking for me tonight. I have never seen it this fast. Must have upgraded the server or something. If so, Thanks, Wild Bunch.

Johnny

Agree instantaneous posts and refreshes - outstanding guys, for once the check really was in the mail

Archived