SASS Wire Forum

Never before discussed on the wire, PANCAKES

Iron Pony

ANATHEMA!!!

Whipped cream on waffles, yes.

Whipped cream on french toast, yes.

On pancakes? What;s next? Mustard on tacos? Caviar on chocolate cake?

I know - Oreo's and Garlic Dip!!

SC

Every Sunday it is the same at my house:

Homemade Sourdough (from a start I made in 1980) pancakes I prefer just larger than dollar size...The sponge sits in the kitchen over nite and ya can smell em all over the house.

While the griddle is heating up I make my own pancake syrup, and of course it is with plenty of whipped butter.

ya can't beat them...

curley

Size don't matter, got to have at least 4 or 6 medium sized ones (though I always did like the "mickey mouse ones my mom used to make me), covered in maple syrup, and homemade butter, or for a change I also like chopped fresh strawberries and blueberries on them covered with powdered sugar and homemade WHIPPED CREAM always with a cold cup of whole milk. When I'm done eating those I like to then have my bacon, grits and fried eggs, and yes the eggs must be fried using butter in the pan, not any of that goofy stuff, with a hot fresh cup of stong coffee. This has inspieder me to start a bacon thread and maybe a waffle thread too.......

Some of the responses are reminding me of a cross country trip either to or from college many years ago. Stopped at a truck stop in Joplin MO I think it was to get a nap then went into the diner for breakfast. The "big trucker" combo was pancakes, eggs, biscuits and gravy, bacon, toast you name it. Got a glass of milk, a glass of OJ and coffee. Still remember that classic diner waitress being amazed I could pack all of it away in my much much smaller frame.

Weve established pancakes are good, now has anyone got a good reciepe for the batter?

...Weve established pancakes are good, now has anyone got a good reciepe for the batter?

Here is one of the best for quick and easy pancakes. I am still surprised how god they turn out. We just follow the directions (add water) and add 1 tsp melted butter into the batter.

http://www.hungryjack.com/products/Product...&prodID=587

3 the size of a LARGE PLATE

I'll take care of the butter and maple syrup!

Stack of 2-6" pancakes, with lumps of butter and syrup.

Shenny

Plate sized for a serious meal, dollar sized for fun. Butter, or sometimes peanut butter. Maple syrup for breakfast, boysenberry syrup if eating them for dinner.

Don't bring those pancake mix or Bisquik abominations anywhere near me!!!! My pancakes better be made from scratch. I make them from scratch and they beat the heck out of any of those "just add water" messes. And I don't want any "syrup soakers"! Pancakes shouldn't fall apart when the syrup hits them. I can make them that way if that is how you like them, but don't expect to see them on my plate.

Oh Yeah, since I am laying down the law in regards to my pancake breakfast, that tall glass of milk better be ice cold! :wacko:

Here you go Iron Pony. I think I remember it right.

1 cup milk

1 egg

½ tablespoon baking powder

½ tablespoon sugar

dash of salt

1 tablespoon melted butter

1 cup flour

mix milk, egg, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add flour so as to not make too many huge lumps. Add melted butter.

Cook on a hot grill with a bit of bacon grease to keep it from sticking. Flip after the top side gets lots of “bubble holes” (you’ll know them when you see them).

I’m pretty sure the flour measurement is right. I usually just add flour till the batter is the right consistency, but I am pretty sure it is supposed to be 1 cup. A touch more flour and baking powder and a bit less butter will give you pancakes that are more “fluffy”.

This recipe came from my grandfather. He was the cook on a Coast Guard ship during WW2. Supposedly, he got the recipe from a cook in New Orleans and adjusted it for the right volume to feed a ship. After the war, he had to work it back down to a normal batch size. This amount will feed 2 people with a stack each. Just double it for a whole family.

I used to charge for this recipe, but you folks are gettin it free...(if in need of sourdough start, or how to make it, drop me a line)

Night before:

1/2 cup sourdough start

1 cup evaporated milk

1 cup warm water

1-3/4-2 cups flour

Mix together well and cover in a warm place in the kitchen.

In the morning:

2 eggs (I use Jumbos)

2 tbs sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

fold eggs into the sponge one at a time, blend the dry ingredients in a bowl and fold into the batter.

While the griddle is heating up if you want to make yer own syrup:

1 cup light Karo syrup

1 cup dark brown sugar

2 tbs cold water

bring to a boil and take off heat and add

1 tsp maple flavour (I like to use Watkins..tastes better)

my son likes to add a half tsp of vanilla...but that is your call.

serve with whipped butter

curley

Big ;)

I like the middle of the pancake better than the edges.

So the bigger PC's gives me more middle. B)

Just butter and plan old syrup.

Like it when IHOP runs there all you can eat pancakes. :FlagAm:

Size aint da issue here....but cooked untill done & crispy wif butter and syrup......

Now dats da issue. :wub:

I just felt 3 more pounds just pop on !!! :rolleyes:

Archived