SASS Wire Forum

Home Defense Weapons

G. P. Cobb

Ok pards, when have been up and down this ladder several times with a few suggesting shotguns. I have no argument with anyone's choices.

This Query is to find out about your views on:

The Laser..........

and the white lite, on or off the gun and why.

I run CTC on all our carry.

You can get a DVD @

Ok, home gunners, fire away.......

Ok pards, when have been up and down this ladder several times with a few suggesting shotguns. I have no argument with anyone's choices.

This Query is to find out about your views on:

The Laser..........

and the white lite, on or off the gun and why.

I run CTC on all our carry.

You can get a DVD @

Ok, home gunners, fire away.......

I prefer no rails on my guns . .got almost 40 years of habit backing that up.

I like a seperate light, in other hand - the new lights on the market are hands down better than the

previous aluminum ones. I know how to use a light that way - and I don't like changing after 30+ yrs of

training.

I want to be able to separate the light from my central position - i.e. - if someone is shooting at the light I

want it to be away from my body at the time.

In the dark and while doing a bed check under duress I want to be able to illuminate my loved one's when I

need to - without pointing the gun at them at the same time.

Having said that - I think the grip lasers are wonderful - if they made quality grips, instead of plastic garbage,

I'd have them on my Hi-Power and my 1911.

Still waiting . . . .

Shadow Catcher

SC I think you should try one set on the 1911, you would change your mind.

Crimson Trace Laser sight - instinctual activation when you need it.

White light on rail - one less piece of equipment you have to grab in a SHTF situation. And the light's wash should be strong enough that you do not need to point it directly to ID the object. Free hand to open doors, grab kids etc.

Training and practice - lots.

My solution to a difficult problem. Got lights/lasers on my pistol/ shotgun. YMMV.

Ya' gotta SEE what/who before ya' shoot at night (or anytime).

So, I got tritium-nite-sites, Surefire rail mounted light, and Crimson Trace grips on my pistol. I also got a Fenix TK12 LED light in the other hand (a weapon light doesn't mean either/or, use both). Then practice, practice, practice .......

What's the safety of you and your family's lives worth?

I think you boys got it right, yes I do, proud of ya...........

anybody else come on in.

Make sure you have an extra white light in the other hand;

watch the video why not to point a gun at family............

Disclaimer...........I'm an old school LEO that prefers Wheel Guns! :)

Lasers work for some, but I prefer not to become dependent on them. A good set of night sights is my preference. The rail light is another problem for me, I prefer a separate light. The attached light means you must also have your weapon in the ready fire position to use the light, and this isn't always needed. For example, if you hear a noise in your back yard at night, and you investigate with your weapon drawn and in the ready fire position, it can raise some legal issues for civilians in certain states/jurisdictions. Some larger departments have the same concern/issues with a possible A.D., and prohibit rail lights. Our local department (IMPD) prohibits lasers of any kind, but does allow rail lights.

BSD

I think you are all correct. I'm a firm believer in doing what you are comfortable and trained to do. I carry a 1911 everyday at work, no light, lazers or night sights, just a good old 1911 with a good set od fixed sights. I trust it, I practice with it, I qualify with it, and I stake my life on it. As to home defence my take is that I know my house and situation better than any intruder and I don't plan to go looking for one. My kids are grown and gone. I have two four footed burgler alarms to alert me to intruders, a cell phone to call the cops and I can cover the bedroom door without a light. My plan, dogs bark, hunker down, call cops and cover the door with the 1911. If I still had kids at home I'd change my gameplan.

Bugs

I think you are all correct. I'm a firm believer in doing what you are comfortable and trained to do. I carry a 1911 everyday at work, no light, lazers or night sights, just a good old 1911 with a good set od fixed sights. I trust it, I practice with it, I qualify with it, and I stake my life on it. As to home defence my take is that I know my house and situation better than any intruder and I don't plan to go looking for one. My kids are grown and gone. I have two four footed burgler alarms to alert me to intruders, a cell phone to call the cops and I can cover the bedroom door without a light. My plan, dogs bark, hunker down, call cops and cover the door with the 1911. If I still had kids at home I'd change my gameplan.

Bugs

I'm pretty much in the same situation cept i dont carry ever day-

I do have a lite taped to a shotguns barrel for outside critter elimination at nite but my handguns are sans brite objects hangin off'em :)

Do & use wat your best with :FlagAm:

Hey GP!

In my case the answer is yes.

The S&W 1911PD has laser grips and is on my night stand by my bed. The Glock 21 has the tactical light on it and stays on my desk in our study. The Kimber Pro CDP II is carried in our RV and I have a tactical light carried separately. I would like to put laser grips on the Kimber.

I prefer, at this time of my life, the laser grips because they are instinctive by nature and unobtrusive by feel.

I like to go with +.4.... designed by someone who has truly thought dang hard about it... and tested it in a zillion applications.... built by someone who knows quality and is ready for real innovation.

Then finally let's face it.... that sucker has to work when you or someone you love is 'hunkered down behind the bed' or better yet had locked themselves in the bathroom.

TOO BIG TO CARRY?... PERFECT FOR HOME DEFENSE

Well, don't limit yourself.

I have a few options/levels;

House has an alarm that is on EVERY night.

4 legged best friend inside.

S&W 66

Sig P226 with Sig nite sights and CT grips and a Streamlight that can be slid on quickly, 2 mags loaded with different ammo depending on wether it is 2 legged or 4 legged varmits.

I just ordered a new Sig STL 900 that has laser and light (strobe or continous)

Plus some other long guns. All are safely secured and locked away but can be accessed pretty quickly if needed.

To borrow someone's comment...

What am I afraid of?? Nothing! :)

Springfield XDM in 45ACP with combo fiber optic tritium sites and theres a big maglite next to it. Its got rails for an accessory light and I may get one but theres something about giving away my position that goes against old infantry training. One thing about the seperate light is you can hold it away from your body at arms length. These flashights ARE NOT impact weapons (right LEOs?)but they sure do make a distinctive sound when strike something like a persons gourd.

Thanks pards for your notes. But I read remarks about no wheel guns and rails. How do you conceal carry a rail gun in your arm pit? And who says you can't have CTC on your wheelgun unless they don't make your model.

BSD I beg you, see the video before you give up on wheel gun lasers.

To those with rails, to me those are for the long guns? Yep good idea, but at bedside?

Just see the DVD offer, then talk to me, please.......

Disclaimer...........I'm an old school LEO that prefers Wheel Guns! :)

Lasers work for some, but I prefer not to become dependent on them. A good set of night sights is my preference. The rail light is another problem for me, I prefer a separate light. The attached light means you must also have your weapon in the ready fire position to use the light, and this isn't always needed. For example, if you hear a noise in your back yard at night, and you investigate with your weapon drawn and in the ready fire position, it can raise some legal issues for civilians in certain states/jurisdictions. Some larger departments have the same concern/issues with a possible A.D., and prohibit rail lights. Our local department (IMPD) prohibits lasers of any kind, but does allow rail lights.

BSD

I agree with the light on the gun pointed at somebody, bad business. In the bold sentence, yes but? What about when you can't see through the sights? Please see the video sir.....

100+ pound dog downstairs should slow them down a bit.

After that they'll be treated to 6 rounds of .357 mag hollow points from a dan wesson revolver.

After that the options open up.

Never had or used a laser, don't know how I'd like it. Dismissed them as a novelty whose batteries would be dead when you needed them at first, but I guess I am warming to the idea.

My house weapons are the same as my carry weapons. Therefore, adding on things such as lasers and flashlights won't work for me. I aint opposed to them but they don't fiy inside my waistband... The grip lasers are a good idea but the ones for J Frame S&W's don't fit my hand. I may soon get one for my Glock 17, a grip model...

Like everything in the shooting world, there is no one 'magic bullet' or in this case, optical enhancement.

Weapon mounted lights are good if you plan on conducting room-clearing operations, as they give you the option of having a hand free to open doors, hook someone in your path or give a quick strike to someone in a non-lethal confrontation. Just remember, as stated earlier you will always be pointing a loaded flashlight at someone... Personally, I'm old school and prefer a hand held light. It's a bit more versatile, and you can also temporarily secure it to open doors, etc. by merely tucking it under your shooting arm. Given the selection of tactically oriented shoot-n-scoot flashlight techniques around today, it just seems to give you more options, especially with leather; you don't need a rail gun and a custom holster to carry it and your light in.

Lasers are a great deterrant. In a potential DPF situation, light someone up with a laser, and more times than not, the agression ceases. Personal experience here. One time, the miscreant actually tried to brush the dot off of his chest. Got him cuffed, after I stopped laughing... Lasers need to be trained with, just like everything else. From a tactical standpoint, when do you activate the laser? Too soon, and you're giving away your position. What about multiple bad guys? They can track a laser just like they can track a flashlight. Thought needs to be given to the 'how to's' during practice sessions,eg: how do I activate/de-activate the laser in a shooting situation when I have to move to cover or otherwise change location without being tracked? Additionally, get an electronic timer and time yourself with night sights vs. the laser. You may be surprised at your results. Also, regarding the grip mounted lasers, if you index your trigger finger properly alongside the frame,(RH shooter) you tend to block the laser. This invites a potential safety issue, unless you develop a technique that keeps your finger away from the trigger/ trigger guard and still allows the laser to target the threat.

Technology, and high-speed/low drag stuff is not necessarily bad, but like anything, you have to dedicate yourself to practice with these devices, and not just hang them off of your pistol and not think about it until it's too late. Probably preaching to the choir here...

JMHO - remember the KISS principle. It works.

WWB

My house weapons are the same as my carry weapons. Therefore, adding on things such as lasers and flashlights won't work for me. I aint opposed to them but they don't fiy inside my waistband... The grip lasers are a good idea but the ones for J Frame S&W's don't fit my hand. I may soon get one for my Glock 17, a grip model...

Guns: Revolver or auto that you can shoot accurately with one hand. Flashlight: A very bright one that is held in your free hand. Sights: Open or laser. Tritium becomes useless when the lights are on. I don't use a laser but those with vision restrictions would benefit. Last thing: Practice, practice, practice. And remember that your goal is to secure your loved ones, not to repel invaders. Don't risk your life for a TV set.

Good man, you cheated, you've seen the video?

Like everything in the shooting world, there is no one 'magic bullet' or in this case, optical enhancement.

Weapon mounted lights are good if you plan on conducting room-clearing operations, as they give you the option of having a hand free to open doors, hook someone in your path or give a quick strike to someone in a non-lethal confrontation. Just remember, as stated earlier you will always be pointing a loaded flashlight at someone... Personally, I'm old school and prefer a hand held light. It's a bit more versatile, and you can also temporarily secure it to open doors, etc. by merely tucking it under your shooting arm. Given the selection of tactically oriented shoot-n-scoot flashlight techniques around today, it just seems to give you more options, especially with leather; you don't need a rail gun and a custom holster to carry it and your light in.

Lasers are a great deterrant. In a potential DPF situation, light someone up with a laser, and more times than not, the agression ceases. Personal experience here. One time, the miscreant actually tried to brush the dot off of his chest. Got him cuffed, after I stopped laughing... Lasers need to be trained with, just like everything else. From a tactical standpoint, when do you activate the laser? Too soon, and you're giving away your position. What about multiple bad guys? They can track a laser just like they can track a flashlight. Thought needs to be given to the 'how to's' during practice sessions,eg: how do I activate/de-activate the laser in a shooting situation when I have to move to cover or otherwise change location without being tracked? Additionally, get an electronic timer and time yourself with night sights vs. the laser. You may be surprised at your results. Also, regarding the grip mounted lasers, if you index your trigger finger properly alongside the frame,(RH shooter) you tend to block the laser. This invites a potential safety issue, unless you develop a technique that keeps your finger away from the trigger/ trigger guard and still allows the laser to target the threat.

Technology, and high-speed/low drag stuff is not necessarily bad, but like anything, you have to dedicate yourself to practice with these devices, and not just hang them off of your pistol and not think about it until it's too late. Probably preaching to the choir here...

JMHO - remember the KISS principle. It works.

WWB

Not sure the bold text is a safety issue? Blocking is good to prevent your location; see the video...........

Let me make this easier.

Click this....

They don't make a product for wifey's revolvers... nor do they intend to, according to their latest answer to my queries...

So one of uses a weapon-mounted light/laser, and the other uses hand-held light. Movements and actions (to the extent response can be choreographed) are meant to be complementary.

-Chris

Yes, if you have a tight grip and the laser is on, you move your finger up to cover the laser(red) beam, in your off hand you move, light, peep, move, light, peep. You don't keep either the off light or the laser on as you progress in the dark; it is too easy to give away your location.

Best advice is by the lawmen, soldiers and shooters in the "Art of Survival" DVD.

"Their goal is to be effective with a gun in your hand. Equipping your gun with a laser sight enhances effectiveness like no other firarm acceossory can. The Art of Survival illustrates ground-breaking laser tips and techinques that can help you prevail in a life-threadenting situaion. Noted firearms expers use live-fire sceniraos to demonstrate cutting-edge techniques you need to know to protect yourself and become a better shooter. They'll show you why laser have become a preferred training tool, and they'll highlight the critical differences between what happens on the practice range and during adrenalin-pumping gunfights. The bottom line is theis: Laser take noting away from your skill as a shooter, yet provide life-saving advantages you wouldn't otherwise have."

No opinion just the facts.

Instructors on the DVD are: M. Bane, J. Goloski, K. Hackatorn, T. Jarret. and LEO, W. Doss

My opinion:

Like I keep sayin, get the DVD and study. I think it's more important than any money you spend on playing the game. Home first, then the game....

They don't make a product for wifey's revolvers... nor do they intend to, according to their latest answer to my queries...

So one of uses a weapon-mounted light/laser, and the other uses hand-held light. Movements and actions (to the extent response can be choreographed) are meant to be complementary.

-Chris

SC I think you should try one set on the 1911, you would change your mind.

Hey Partner - you may be right - but I'm holding out for the 1.5 Megawatt version.

I wanna clean and cook in one shot.

Don't need no stinking stun setting!

SC

Hey Partner - you may be right - but I'm holding out for the 1.5 Megawatt version.

I wanna clean and cook in one shot.

Don't need no stinking stun setting!

SC

Now come-on SC, you ain't eatin no stinkin Robber Baron!

Now come-on SC, you ain't eatin no stinkin Robber Baron!

No - but I got a house full of finicky putty tats that like their vermin cooked and served on a platter! :lol:

The Vaquero with BP should light up the room enough :D Then when I'm done with the perp our new pit bull can eat 'em ;)

GG ~ :wacko:

Your humor actually highlights a problem with the Laser. In a dark room the muzzle flash from the first shot would momentarily blind you and the Laser would be ineffective. Maybe the moral to the story is to make your first shot count! :wacko:

BSD

Springfield XD tactical chambered in 45, in a holster i rigged in my bed's box spring loaded with 14 hollow point bullets. I leave on the light in the next room, the crook comes in through the door all he sees is black, since the light doesnt point directly into my room, I can see just fine works for me. Also keep my cowboy double in the closet next to a box of shells, and no I have no little kids at the house, in the case of a visit, i lock the door. the old man keeps his new vaquero on his nightstand for home defence and his '97 stoked under the rack.

Your humor actually highlights a problem with the Laser. In a dark room the muzzle flash from the first shot would momentarily blind you and the Laser would be ineffective. Maybe the moral to the story is to make your first shot count! :wacko:

BSD

Who said anything about missing on the first shot ;)

Besides..."I wear my sunglasses at night" :D

GG ~ :wacko:

Archived