SASS Wire Forum

Super Blackhawk Hammers

Wasatch Lawman

It's called capitalism, but I did pass when another member PM'd me his asking price for a pair of hammers some months ago.

How does capitalism fit a true to the period Cowboy? Or are SASS pards exempt from the true cowboy ethic?

Just like a lot of things, this fad shall pass. Yes, I've got them on my guns. They are somewhat better for Duelist, for two-hands it's a wash.

I do feel better about only paying $30 each, not $60.

I received mine from BROWNELLs Thursday...they had been on back order about a month. Stainless steel 780-000-535 about $30 each.

I've got a couple of used Original size VAQUEROS in 44 magnum that need a trigger job, so might as well add the SUPER BLACK HAWK hammers and HUNTER trigger guards while they're visiting ALPHA PRECISION. I shot 5.5 inch SUPERS and BISLEYS before I got into the VAQUERO versions, so the SBH hammer feels good to me.

After a long cattle drive, the trail boss didn't GIVE the cows away, right? He sold 'em for what ever the market would bear. If the cattle buyers didn't want to pay that price they were free to bargain, or to try and find a cheaper herd. Same with the stuff here on the Wire. If you look at a posted item but don't like the price, feel free to bypass it. No need for name calling. True capitalism was a prime motivating factor in the opening of the West. The railroads are a prime example, so are saloons, soiled doves, canned peaches and Colt revolvers. Everything was for sale at the highest price the seller could get. To say otherwise is to demonstrate a lack of understanding of how the law of supply and demand works in a Frontier setting. During the Mexican War, deserting Dragoons could sell their revolvers in San Francisco for $250.00 to $300.00, when they cost about $25.00 back in Hartford, Conn.

I will admit I am sometimes amused at the prices asked for used stuff here on the Wire. Some sellers seem to think a used gun is worth full retail price. But if they can find a buyer willing to pay what they ask, more power to them. It just won't be me.

I will admit I am sometimes amused at the prices asked for used stuff here on the Wire. Some sellers seem to think a used gun is worth full retail price. But if they can find a buyer willing to pay what they ask, more power to them. It just won't be me.

I stand corrected.............

But, we aren't on a cattle drive, this is a game, so I'm told......

I JUST WENT ON BOTH WEB SITE (MIDWAY AND BROWNELLS) THEY BOTH WERE OUT OF STOCK AND BOTH ON BACK ORDER AND HAVE BEEN FOR MONTHS. I ALWAYS KNEW THE WHEN SOMEONE DOESN,T HAVE SOMETHING IT ALWAYS CHEAPER THAN THE GUY THAT HAS THEM.

I looked every where for them. They Are no where to be found. A Pard had them to me double quick for $110 so as to have my guns ready for Last Standand. I didnt like that they were $110 but MY guns are ready to go as we speak so actualy I am greatful. For the most part though. People do act more like cattle Barrons than Cowboys. But heck I have a cowboy sending me grips and told me to pay what ever they are worth...now thats the Cowboy way. Another pard was selling me a 26" stevens with no work done. I was going to have to cut it down and do a lot of work to the finish but he only wanted $180 He found another selling out of the sport and had a Stoeger with all the action jobs on for $225. He could not in good conscious sell the STevens to me when he found this and he told me about it. I jumped on it. He lost on the sale of his gun to help me out. That was truly "Cowboy" so there are good and bad but I tend to see mostly good

MY .02

Much Obliged

MAx Henry

That logic works well for those of us that frequent these classifieds. I, myself, am well aware of certain individuals that pop up with any hard to find item at three times the price at every opportunity. I simply do not deal with them. Other shooters that come to the Wire Classifieds infrequently, when they really need something, are great victims for the opportunistic profiteer.

Let the buyer beware.

Brownell's has stainless SBH hammers in stock. At 6:30 this morning, I ordered two, and received confirmation of shipment by 8:30.

I just went there and it says SS SBH hammers have been discontinued by Brownells.

Something is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it when you need it. A few years ago I was converting a Colt revolver to .38-40. Colt had them on their web site for $125.00, but were always out of stock. Finally called one of the big name smiths and he had one. Quoted me a price of $150.00. I told him they were listed on the Colt website for $125.00. He asked, "does Colt have any in stock?" I replied, no. He said, "well, I'll sell you all the non-existent cylinders you want for $125.00 or you can buy this real one for $150.00." I bought it and was happy to get it. The corollary if you are selling is that something is worth whatever you can get for it when you need to sell it. I've been to several gun shows where I needed to sell a few things to put food on the table. A couple of those guns that were "worth" $1,000.00 went for $750.00. If you don't like a price, don't buy or sell, but don't complain.

As some has stated, what the market will bear, now I wanted some and I paid the price of the asker, had no problems with it, at the time they was 6 to 8 months behind and not sure if they were to get any at all, so I paid the price, very happy with them and I didn't want to wait, so I paid the price.

As for brownells, they said discontinued for the super blackhawk and the motabo hammer, not sure why and maybe they are discontinuing it since they can't get any from ruger, not sure, if you can get the blued ones good, take off the blue, they are stainless underneath.

This wouldn't be the first time I have bought something high price, if you want it bad enough you will pay the price, have did it for guns also if I wanted it bad enough

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. Rawhide Red is good pard to deal with if anyone wants to know

I just went there and it says SS SBH hammers have been discontinued by Brownells.

Ruger SBH hammers

Check the manufacturer's part number "KMR04001B". If you want, do a search with that at Midway...it's a stainless steel SBH hammer.

The assembly kit has been discontinued, but the hammer only is still available. Kit includes hammer, plunger, plunger spring, and plunger cross pin.

I copied and pasted this from the email I received:

The following merchandise was shipped 01/03/2011:

780-000-535 SUPER BLACKHAWK HAMMER ASSY, SS

This thread sort of reminds me of the following:

Guy goes into a tobacco shop as asks for a box of El Producto Queens. "That will be $45 plus tax."

"The shop down the street sells them for $40."

"Buy them down the street."

"They are out of them."

"When I'm out of them they are only $35."

This thread sort of reminds me of the following:

Guy goes into a tobacco shop as asks for a box of El Producto Queens. "That will be $45 plus tax."

"The shop down the street sells them for $40."

"Buy them down the street."

"They are out of them."

"When I'm out of them they are only $35."

We did the same thing with KZ900 Kawasakis. Dealer the next town over was selling them for $1,999.00 (but was out of them) and we were asking $2,250. Told the guy who complained that we sold 'em for $1,800 when we were out!

CR

Archived