SASS Wire Forum

Box of knives - PICS added

Grizzly Dave

My brother in law works for some sort of half way house or live in treatment type facility. When "clients" report, they are searched and must surrender any knives or guns. The guns they have to turn over to the police (dang it) but the knives get tossed in a box to be disposed of. Well, he disposed of a box of maybe 30-40 knives by giving it to me. Mostly smaller pocket knives.

I haven't gone thru it to see exactly what's there yet, but will this afternoon, cuz ya know what Forrest Gump said, "life is like a box of knives, ya never know what you're gonna get"

Grizz

My brother in law works for some sort of half way house or live in treatment type facility. When "clients" report, they are searched and must surrender any knives or guns. The guns they have to turn over to the police (dang it) but the knives get tossed in a box to be disposed of. Well, he disposed of a box of maybe 30-40 knives by giving it to me. Mostly smaller pocket knives.

I haven't gone thru it to see exactly what's there yet, but will this afternoon, cuz ya know what Forrest Gump said, "life is like a box of knives, ya never know what you're gonna get"

Grizz

Grizz, Ifin' ya find a small pocket "Winchester" knife, I'll yake it off ya hands.

Or a small "Barlow", ifin ya dont mind. :lol:

Did notice a small Old Timer folding pocket knife in there. Given where they came from, I imagine most of them are cheap spyderco or no name knives, but cha never know. I did see one swiss army knife in there, though they aren't as worthwhile as they once were.

Grizz

Did notice a small Old Timer folding pocket knife in there. Given where they came from, I imagine most of them are cheap spyderco or no name knives, but cha never know. I did see one swiss army knife in there, though they aren't as worthwhile as they once were.

Grizz

Old Timer sounds great.

Da Winchester pocket knife I've got, da big blade is busted in half.

I still carry it though !!!

I love knives, probably why he gave them to me. I'll get some pics later today so maybe those more knowledgeable on the subject can let me know what I have.

Now dat's a rat smart ideaer, there Grizz........

Yup, shore nuff is a rat smart ideaer . :lol:

Grizz

cheap & spyderco don't fit

What a great way to spend an afternoon! Sounds like fun, Grizz. Unfortunately, most will probably be the plastic handled, one-hand openers with the word "Pakistan" stamped on the blade. But, who knows? You may find a couple nice ones. Good luck.

COOL! Like Christmas except there's no VISA bill later. Any WESTERNS?

slim, most are as you say. Broncos are playing so knives can wait until they get so far behind I give up, shouldn't take too long.

I'm so sorry Grizz,........

almost like da Vikes, I guess.

Win da game today and they got next to last place..

Lose and dey share last place !!!! :lol:

pic one

pic two

pic three

Mostly junk. The two small old timers, and next to those a couple of Kershaws. Anyone see anything else of note?

Grizz

Grizz, can ya tell me what these knifes are ?

Photo #2

2nd row

Knife #3 & #4

3 and 4 in the row with the alligator on the end? those are the two small old timers. #2 in that row has wood grip panels and looks old, the two on the other side of the old timers are the kershaws.

3 and 4 in the row with the alligator on the end? those are the two small old timers. #2 in that row has wood grip panels and looks old, the two on the other side of the old timers are the kershaws.

Be willin' to part wif them "Old Timers"? :lol:

Hey Grizz; What are you going to do with them? Sell them or give them to someone who needs-wants one?

I'd be interested in the RED Swiss army knife. It should say Victorinox on the blade. Let me know if you want $

or just shipping costs. PM me and we'll figure something out. Row 4, #5 with the small key ring on it.

Big Jake

Izzat a Barlow next to the "Golden Gator~?" :blink:

What a great way to spend an afternoon! Sounds like fun, Grizz. Unfortunately, most will probably be the plastic handled, one-hand openers with the word "Pakistan" stamped on the blade. But, who knows? You may find a couple nice ones. Good luck.

Slim, I gotta ask... where does Pakistan rank these days? Are they above or below China on the knife heirarchy~? :blink:

I have a buddy who ordered one of those "Super Knife Selection" offers from the Tee Vee a few years back - the one where they throw in a couple "free" not-quite-swords. He was plumb tickled with himself, until they arrived. His plan was to re-sell 'em individually; ended up givin' away as "tackle box knives!" The kind you don't even say a bad word for if it slips and goes overboard... :blink:

well, I don't know, while I'm always on the lookout for a way to make a buck to buy cowboy stuff, I don't know that there is anything of significant value in the lot.

right now I'm thinking I might keep the Kershaws, but really can't see keeping most of them. I have a bunch of knives I don't use already.

How bout we work trades, something I don't really need or want for something you don't really need or want? I'm open to pretty much anything, western DVDs, wild rags, Colts, Winchesters, LOL LOL.

The old timers are Hawks, and the swiss army knife is big jakes, PM me address and I'll mail them off, send back whatever you think is fair in trade.

That one appears to be what we, in my youth, referred to as an "electrician's knife". Two blades, one of which is a screwdriver, and the blades lock. 'Course, I've seen them made from good companies like Imperial all the way down to Saber, which sold for 1.25 at the local convenience store.

Thanks Girzz. My son saw me looking at the pictures and asked what's up? He likes Row 2, #'s 7 and 10. If you can send all three, I'll make it worth it to you. I'll PM my address to you and give me yours. I've got 25 years worth of Cowboy stuff and am sure I can come up with something you can use.

Big Jake

Row 2 number 7, the lock back with wood panels? It's marked Remington and is a nice knife except the stud on the lockback side has been replaced with a nail or some such, I'd imagine it could be repaired. #10 just to the left of the multi tool is just weird LOL. They all be yours.

Slim, I gotta ask... where does Pakistan rank these days? Are they above or below China on the knife heirarchy~? :blink:

In the knife heirarchy, Pakistan ranks wa-a-a-ay below China and just slightly above a knife blade stamped "Starkist Tuna" on the tang. :blink:

I like the little baby blue one... cuz I like the color.. lol.. How so girlef of me? lol. You have a few nice ones in there Grizzes... The piers kinda knifes and the one that kinda looks likea Gerber are pretty nice..

Grizz...just for what it's worth, the Rico Kid makes the rounds of thrift stores searching for old, cheap, cast-off knives. He usually won't spend more than two or three bucks for a knife, then, when he finds what he's looking for, he takes it home and starts working his magic on it. He'll salvage the blade and that's about it. Then, he'll grind it to the shape and size he wants, puts a new handle on it (usually bone or horn), builds a custom sheath for it, and turns what was once a cheap piece of junk into a nifty little neck knife.

I don't know if he's keeping up on this thread, but if he is, he ought to post a couple pics of some of his former projects.

I always keep a cheap knife or two around. Something that I can use for hacking, digging around buried pipes, just general stuff that you don't want to bugger up your good knife on. Then a step up to various Opinel knives for 80% of what I need a knife for. Opinel Knives

Hey Griz,

That Kershaw with the plain scales next to the to Old Timers is an "assisted opening" knife and is a good quality knife. Been carrying that model around for several years. Regards,

BB

Yeah, my boy went right to that Kershaw too, but I told him I was keeping it for myself for now.

I'll probably keep the Westenholm and give it to my other brother in law who gave me my rock crusher, but the rest I dunno about. I could use a good belt knife for my cowboy rig, maybe I could trade the rest off to Slims pard. Though most are probably too small for what he does.

That one appears to be what we, in my youth, referred to as an "electrician's knife". Two blades, one of which is a screwdriver, and the blades lock. 'Course, I've seen them made from good companies like Imperial all the way down to Saber, which sold for 1.25 at the local convenience store.

Usually only the screwdriver blade locks. This was the original screw knife. Most abundant are Camillus that were Gov issued. Last time I checked they were goiong for anywhere between $5 to $15 on ebay. I have a couple of these and was thinking about filing the screw blade to fit most common gun screws.

PM sent about the sheath knife.

check your "Old Timer"s to see if they have anything on the blade about where they were made. Shrade, who made "Old Timer" and "Uncle Henry", went out of business back in 2002. The names were bought and the new owners are importing knives from China with the same designs.

I might be interested in the sheath knife. It looks like an Aircrew Survival Knife like we were issued in the Air Force. If it's made by Camilus or Ontario Knife Company it's the same as the issue knife (both companies have held the contract at various times). I've got duplicates of some of my westerns if you would be interested. I'd mostly be interested for sentimental reasons because iot was my issued knife.

I used to manage a store for one of the largest knife retailers in the mid-atlantic region before they went out of business and the decent knives in the pictures have been identified and spoken for.

I'll send a PM with what I can trade for the AF knife if it's not already spoken for.

Su amigo;

Jack

Archived