SASS Wire Forum

We lost our first already

Henry T Harrison

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/01/deputy-s...-park-standoff/

Prayers for this young lady her co-workers and her family.

Good night sister. May St. Michael carry you to the arms of the Lord, and your killer to the gates of hell

HTH

Always a sad way to start the year.

†Prayers up for her family†

I'm an assistant prosecutor for Clark County, where the shooting occurred. Part of my job duties are to represent our Sheriff's Dept. She was a good solid deputy and a very good person. She will be missed. It was about as bad a way to start a new year as I could imagine. To make matters worse, Mrs. Doc lost a good friend in an auto accident.

Dammit. This is the 4th time today I've choked up over this. May you rest in peace and honor, Deputy Hopper.

She is my hero. May the Good Lord take her in His loving arms.

Prayer for her two children as well.

I read that story in the paper this mornin, good lookin gal with 12 years on the job. Sad, sad, there's a special place in HE$% for the POS that shot her. My sympathies to her family.

My prayers are up for Deputy Hopper. The people of the State of Ohio lost a dedicated, hard working Deputy who gave of herself without hesitation. Additionally, prayers up for the folks in her Department and her family, husband and kids. Every night, I pray for the safety of my brother and sister Officers. Some nights, I guess the Good Lord has other plans for them...

:blink:

Yes, I am praying and I am so sorry this happened at all at any time in the year. Such a shame that bad stuff happens to good people.

From all her L/E brothers next county over, may God carry her to heaven and wach over her family. We are wearing our morning bands across our badges for her.

The Ornery One

Deputy Hopper's funeral was today. I have seldom been at such a loss for words as I was in attending it. The news media keep referring to a procession of law enforcement vehicles over two miles long. That was only for vehicles that staged at a local factory and then drove to the church. There were many more at the church already, and more that arrived afterward. The number of police vehicles was said to be 800, from all across Ohio and the country. Nose to nose they would've spanned nearly three miles. That doesn't include the fire vehicles that joined the procession.

The main sanctuary of the church holds 1700. They had two rooms used as overflow, one a gymnasium. Still, there were were officers and people in the hall and outside that couldn't make it into the building. They heard our Sheriff attempt to fight back tears as he spoke of her. Others spoke as well, including her young son. Prayers were heartfelt, sincere, and comforting.

Along the procession route, countless people braved 20 degree temperatures to say goodbye. Some with flags, some with messages on cardboard, some with salutes, others with hands over their hearts. Some people had their children with them, thinking it important that they see. People had flags and signs outside businesses and homes. I have never seen such an outpouring of sympathy and compassion.

At the cemetery, the honor guard, made up of what had to be over 1000 law enforcement personnel, stood in a gentle but consistent snowfall to honor her. Pipe and drums from Columbus, Hamilton County and I believe a couple of other jurisdictions waited patiently and stoically in order to play. They sounded magnificent. I grew teary eyed as "Amazing Grace" was played, and tears fell to the sound of a bugle playing taps. Four brave pilots flew helicopters through the weather to fly over in a Missing Man formation.

I think we here were truly humbled by all of the law enforcement community that showed up, but I can not say enough about the people of the Columbus Police Department. They managed traffic control, the salute, the flyover, and numerous other things I am probably unaware of. Springfield and Clark County are my adopted home, but they made me proud today to say I was born and raised there.

Doc,

I've been to more than my share of these and it is both impressive and humbling.

My Department lost 6 last year. Our presense at the national Police memorial this may 15th will be felt.

Doc,

I've been to more than my share of these and it is both impressive and humbling.

My Department lost 6 last year. Our presense at the national Police memorial this may 15th will be felt.

I hope I never need to attend another. I'm guessing any given neighborhood in Chicago has more people than our county. We prosecutors get to know all of the police and deputy sheriffs pretty well.

For me, one of the biggest positives was seeing the people of the county come out in brutal cold to pay their respects, standing as the procession passed. It does tend to restore faith in your fellow citizens. As a friend of mine put it, when 90% of the people you deal with are the worst 10%, you get somewhat jaded and cynical. Yesterday, pushed back some of that cynicism.

Archived