SASS Wire Forum

Couple of questions

Finagler 6853 Life

In my cylinders, there is a ring that builds up with powder residue and other crud. I have soaked them in Hoppes #9, scrubbed them with a brush and even one of those new fangled stainless coiled brushes and I find that I still need to scrape it out with old dental picks. Is there something else that will loosen this up to get it out?

Why wouldn't a person use mineral oil to lube their guns with? It is a highly refined petroleum product that can't be that much different than the stuff that is sold particularly for guns. Can anyone lend some more insight to this?

Finagler,

Don't know anythang about mineral oil, other then gramm's nite-mare cures :wacko:

But, I use .44spl loads in my .44 mag Blackhawks and a powder burn ring does build up.

I've found if ah cleans the cylinder after each shoot and not let it keep building,

It cleans up much easier.

But if it gits bad, ah'll swab et wid #9 an wait a minute,

then spin the SS brush wid a drill/driver for a few seconds,

It cleans thet ring rite purdy :ph34r:

It is my understanding that the popular gun lube cleaner Ballistol is mostly mineral oil. Also when the rings in

in the cylinders get too bad I am not above using a stainless steel brush, a quick in and out, to remove the them.

A few rounds of BP also works. Regards, TJ

As far as oil goes, I once grabbed a bottle of my son's trumpet valve oil - similar size as a gun oil bottle - and was danged pleased! Haven't bought "gun" oil since! :wacko:

+1 on the Lewis Lead Remover..Although if ya shoot a .45, go with the one for the 44-40..I broke the fitting trying to get the .45LC-sized one through my Colts..Went to the 44-40 size, no problem!

The LLR, when used with the paste, is the best thing that has ever been invented for removing lead from the barrel, as well as the cylinder, of your revolver..Just don't use it too often..About once or twice a year..Just follow the instuctions that come with it and you'll be fine! :wacko:

Plus 2 for the Lewis Lead remover. I find that if you degrease the cylinder first it works better. Also, Flitz paste is great for removing the rings on the front of the cylinder (both stainless steel and blued).

Archived