SASS Wire Forum

250 grain bullets in .45ACP?

Pulp, SASS#28319

I've got enough .45Colt loads to last me for a year or two, and I've got some leftover .451 bullets. Has anyone tried 250 grainers in .45ACP? I'm not trying to make a magnum or anything, I know the limits of the 1911, just looking to make a nice mild load using surplus bullets.

According to Hodgdons, X.X grains of TrailBoss is minimum load for 230 grain bullets, and X.X grains of TrailBoss is max load for 230 grain bullets.

I'd think the minimum would be a good starting place for the 250 grain bullets, but I'd really prefer to hear from someone who's been there, done that, and lived to tell about it.

I'd prefer to use TrailBoss, since I've got some of it, and it's a very forgiving powder.

Pulp I've done it for a govt model and recall Lyman actually had loads listed for this type of bullet. Worked fine, slide was a bit snappier then with the 230 but thats to be expected. Do a search for pin loads you should come up with something. FWIW loading magazines with 250gr copper washed Keith style bullets drew some looks at the range from shooting buddies.

I've got enough .45Colt loads to last me for a year or two, and I've got some leftover .451 bullets. Has anyone tried 250 grainers in .45ACP? I'm not trying to make a magnum or anything, I know the limits of the 1911, just looking to make a nice mild load using surplus bullets.

I'd think the minimum would be a good starting place for the 250 grain bullets, but I'd really prefer to hear from someone who's been there, done that, and lived to tell about it.

I'd prefer to use TrailBoss, since I've got some of it, and it's a very forgiving powder.

A 250 grainer will work in .45 ACP, but it has to be shot slow to avoid tearing up the frame, or you have to carefully upspring the gun.

There is at least one problem area - the slug is long. To get it feeding well, it usually has to be seated pretty deep. Seating slugs deep in a small volume case cuts volume even more, which means that your concept for using minimum 230 grain loading data could even be a little risky. But an even more immediate problem - the base of the long 250 grain slug, when seated deep, will put a bulge in the case, sometimes enough of a bulge to prevent the loaded round from chambering. So, although it can be done, it's going to be something to do with proper care.

Sorry I can't contribute any data to you with Trail Boss for 250 grain loads. What experiments I have done have been with Unique or slower type handgun powders. I would suggest looking for loads for the .45 auto rim cartridge. There the 250 grain slug is more commonly used, but the case volume and pressure levels run at (or below) what .45 auto needs to have, so it might give you a way to find some starting data. The current Speer manual has a good set of data for the auto rim, but, unfortunately, no Trail Boss data.

Good luck, GJ

I've done it but only with Blackpowder for WB matches.

In 2010 I shot a SW 625 in the Florida State IDPA match and used a Missouri Bullet 250 gr. lead bullet. Powder used was Titegroup and when I went to the chrono table, one tested round was approx. 726fps, if memory serves. I don't recall the exact load, but I did use infor I got off of the website loaddata.com. And it was definately not a stiff/max load.

Both tested rounds were within 10fps. Accuracy was quite acceptable, as my range groups at 25 yds. kept 6 rounds in the head on an IDPA target. Only thing I can't speak for is functioning in a 1911 as opposed to a revolver.

Gregg

......Back in the day when they used to make commercial .45 AUTO RIM loads more available, they used to have a 250 grain bullet loading - I don't see why that couldn't be used in the .45 ACP cases today, particularly in revolvers.

As mentioned already in this thread, OAL and bulging case walls from trying to load a .45 ACP with a longer slug than the case was really designed to handle. With the auto, you have to keep OAL down to where the round feeds thru the mag and can be extracted through the ejection port if you need to unload a live round.

And, as mentioned above, .45 auto rim data can often be a useful reference point in .45 auto loading, but has to be used with discretion.

GJ

My Speer #10 reloading manual, copyright 1987, lists loads for a 260 jacketed HP for 45 ACP with loads for 11 powders. Powders included are Unique, 231, Bullseye Red Dot and some others, sorry Trailboss did not exist then. If you want loads, PM me. I know these are for a jacketed bullet, but if you stick to the low end of the range you shouldn't have any problem.

Archived