SASS Wire Forum

Here We Go Again.........

Apache Hawk 60642

Had so much fun on da last one, thought I'd give it a try.........

I let my hoss have it's lead. I was too cold and too hungry to care much. In my mind I heard a women's scream. In my trobled sleep, I saw her face. In my soul, I knew where she was and what she would try to do. But I just could not go on much farther. I cluched da "Reb" coat and blanket that tryed to cover me. And I held on to my Henry rifle....the one I carryed in battle...the very one I took off a dead Yankee. I had a 1866 Henry in da scabard, but it was untryed and I had not much faith in it.

I lefted my head to see somethin' in da distance, a dark outline of a buildin'. My hoss stopped in front of a abandon farm house, nothin' more den a sod house, and a barn. I put my hoss in da barn, unsaddled him, feed him and went in da sod house. Some how I found enough wood to make a small fire. As da fire came to life, I had a look around. Over by da west wall was a small somethin' wif a blanket throwed over it. I moved da blanket, a rat ran out...and I picked up the small sack. "Ummm" I said, "Double Eagles. Was dis place a hideout fer robbers ? Ifin' not, den what?"

I pulled da last piece of hard tack out of my saddle bag, and seattled down, tryin to warm up. Tryin' to figger out what da White Buffalo, da White Dog and da woman's screams could possilbly mean. I driftted off ta sleep just to hear her screams again, dis time loader, da White Dog sayin' to follow him. I felt somethin' on my hand and struck quickly wif my buffalo knife. Just da rat I had scared up before. I let'em freezein da west side of da sod house and thought I'd skin him out in da mornin'. He'll be supper tomarrow night.

Rats ain't ma favotite food but then neither is horse meat or saddle leather and those were ma only choices. I'd been watching for game on the trail but is seemed like the weather had everthing including me hunkered down. The warmth of the fire made me drowsy after so long in the cold, trackin', all the time trackin'. The men had come this way, I seen enough sign to know that. I suspected they was holed up in the tradin' post up the trail but neither ma horse nor I could catch them tonight. We was both played out. Juast as I was starting to doze off I hurd the russel of movement in the soddie's loft. Another Rat? I wondered, and if so was it one of the two or four legged kind. I slowly drew ma Colt from its holster and waited.

Archived