SASS Wire Forum

WTB Colt model 357 grips

My wife has a Colt Model 357 that was her Dad's. She would like a set of the wood grips like came on it originally. I believe this model was the early Trooper but I'm not sure what fits it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Blue Wolf SASS# 29424L

The Colt 357 was the predecessor to the Trooper. It's an "I" frame, and any I frame grips will fit it. However, original grips for the Colt 357 are getting quite expensive. You can call Numrich Arms and see if these will fit it...Colt Grips

It is the same frame size as the Official Police, the Trooper and the Python.

Actually the 357 and the Trooper were introduced concurrently. The 357 was the "deluxe" target model. With the advent of the Python in 1954, interest in the 357 waned. It was absorbed into the Trooper model in 1961 when they began to offer the Trooper in .357 meg.

Depending on the year of manufacture and barrel length it could wear a few different grips. If you want to post the first 3 digits of the serial number I will be happy to dig up a pic of the proper ones...I may even have an extra set depending on your answers

Actually the 357 and the Trooper were introduced concurrently. The 357 was the "deluxe" target model. With the advent of the Python in 1954, interest in the 357 waned. It was absorbed into the Trooper model in 1961 when they began to offer the Trooper in .357 meg.

You are right! Checked one quick source and got less than accurate info. Checked a couple of others that confirmed your statement.

Thanks for the info. It has a 6" barrell and serial is 303XX. She said this was her Dad's pride and joy to shoot. He had made a target type grip for it and it is way to big for her to shoot comfortably.

Blue Wolf

Your gun was born in 1961...one of the last several hundred made It would have likely sported full checkered walnut grips with the silver Colt Medallion.

I am PM'ing you a photo.

Couldn't get the pic to attach to a PM so I'll cheat.

The link below is to a thread on the Colt Forum. The first pic is identical to the grip you should have except that it would have a silver medallion instead of a gold one. Gold Medallions were only used on Pythons

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10622

They are pricey though. A nice vintage set will run you $200 or thereabouts

Thanks Suncoast, I think her Mother may have found the originals. My wife is very happy with the find. She remembers shooting this gun with her Dad when she was a little girl. I wish I could thank him for teaching her about guns but he passed several years ago. The thread was very interesting.

Blue Wolf

Blue Wolf , hope it all works out good for you. This post reminded me of the Colt 357 that I had some years ago. Had a three digit serial number. In my usual style , I stupidly swapped it off. Ah , well hindsight is much more clear than foresight , but less useful.

Good luck , Rex :lol:

Archived