SASS Wire Forum

.38 Long Colt Brass

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I have a line on an old Colt revolver chambered in .38 Long Colt. If I obtain it, I will of course need to handload ammo for it. I have a few questions.

1. Can you create .38LC brass by trimming back .38 Specials? I am reasonably certain that you can, but I don't want so *assume* anything. I have a bunch of surplus .38 Specials that just have numbers on the headstamp that I would use, if possile.

2. Do you need a separate set of dies, or can a standard set of RCBS .38 Special/357 Mangums be used?

Thanks in advance.

1. Can you create .38LC brass by trimming back .38 Specials? I am reasonably certain that you can, but I don't want so *assume* anything. I have a bunch of surplus .38 Specials that just have numbers on the headstamp that I would use, if possile.

Yes, you can (at least I do for my conversion).

2. Do you need a separate set of dies, or can a standard set of RCBS .38 Special/357 Mangums be used?

I use the 38/.357 sizing dies but, I use a 9mm crimp die (properly adjusted).

U can get a set of 38 long colt dies from Lee for about $25. then u won't have to cobble something up and change your settings. a box of factory Winchester 38 long colt will set u back about $35 but at least u will have the brass. Starline sells the brass. Hodgdon has the reloading data.

Archived