SASS Wire Forum

wish I could go back in time

Trigger Mike

The Western Channel has a "Wagon Train" marathon and in the Zeke Thomas story he needs to sell his rifle that looks like a 30 inch barrelled 73(my tv is not always clear) he wants to sell it and the guy ofers him $10. for it and he wants $20. That's a far dry from the $1,000 or more they seem to bring now days.

yup, go back in time, buy up a couple cases of original 73s, pack 'em good and stash 'em somewhere. Go back today and collect them, keep a couple, sell the rest and have a right nice nest egg. Might as well get several cases of Colts too.

Considering a cowboy made about a dollar a day, that was about 3 weeks pay.

The difference between them and us is our expenses. They had food and a place to sleep provided. They didn't have a horse payment and horse insurance. No utility bills or cable tv. A trip to a doctor was a couple dollars.

I sometimes wish I had an extra $20 laying around at the end of the month.

Not as far back as the Wagon Train era,you could buy Trapdoors for scrap steel price.Anywhere from $5-10 each.No-one wanted them.That was in the 60's and 70's.Probably earlier than that,but that's when I first noticed them at gunshows for $15-25.I finally got the bug in the early 80's and bought 2,1 rifle and 1 factory or gunsmith rifle that had been cut down to a carbine.Seems by then people wised up and the price for each was in the $200 range give or take a little.

Not as far back as the Wagon Train era,you could buy Trapdoors for scrap steel price.Anywhere from $5-10 each.No-one wanted them.That was in the 60's and 70's.Probably earlier than that,but that's when I first noticed them at gunshows for $15-25.I finally got the bug in the early 80's and bought 2,1 rifle and 1 factory or gunsmith rifle that had been cut down to a carbine.Seems by then people wised up and the price for each was in the $200 range give or take a little.

by the time our kids are our age those trapdoors and colts and rifles will be even more money if things progress the same way they are now.

Da prices back den was equal to da wages a cowboy earned.

Example wood be a $20.00 rifle and a workin' cowboy wage of $1.00 a day.

I got a real 1873 Springfeild Trapdoor in 45-70. Serail # says it was used as a trainin' weapon at da "Point."

(DROOLIN) What cha give me fer it now !!! :D

I got a real 1873 Springfeild Trapdoor in 45-70. Serail # says it was used as a trainin' weapon at da "Point."

(DROOLIN) What cha give me fer it now !!! :D

The rifle I bought has a good bore,but was well used in the wood dept.And it made me wonder how bright those Hollyweird folks are.It has "western" carved in the stock.Somehow I can't imagine it being mistaken for an AK or AR for a modern war weapon.Still shoots good though.

Wonder what that $10 equates to when 120 years inflation is tacked on?

GG ~ :D

Probably not as much as trying to buy a $10 gold coin from 1870. Of course if you went back in time you would need to have period correct money to buy anything........they don't take Visa cards. :unsure:

Probably not as much as trying to buy a $10 gold coin from 1870. Of course if you went back in time you would need to have period correct money to buy anything........they don't take Visa cards. :D

I already thought of that and figured if I showed up at a battlefield after it was over like Little Big Horn or something I could pick up a few things, maybe stop by Fredericksburg at night and while the rebs were striping the yankee dead I could to. Maybe bring some food with me to the donner party and trade food for a gun or two.

The rifle I bought has a good bore,but was well used in the wood dept.And it made me wonder how bright those Hollyweird folks are.It has "western" carved in the stock.Somehow I can't imagine it being mistaken for an AK or AR for a modern war weapon.Still shoots good though.

Ya did read whar I said it was real........as in 137 years old, rat? :D

I shoot it all da time at buffalo/long range shoots. :unsure:

Actually given the value of the dollar back and how hard it was to make hard money I would be hard pressed to buy a 73. For a handgun I would spend $2.50 and buy a Colt Conversion revolver in 44 Colt. For a rifle a war surplus Spencer Carbine 56-50 would probably fill the bill. Garden variety shotgun would do so I might get all three guns for a twenty.

Ya did read whar I said it was real........as in 137 years old, rat? :wacko:

I shoot it all da time at buffalo/long range shoots. :ph34r:

Yup...I read it.The serial number on mine dates it back to 1878.So,it's been around for a bit too.

Ya just have to do your research, find a major gold strike, when and where, go back before that and jump the strike, use the gold dust to buy winchesters and colts, pack and stash them and then come back forward in time and reclaim them.

While yer there turn some of the gold dust into gold coins and stash them as well.

Wonder what that $10 equates to when 120 years inflation is tacked on?

GG ~ :wacko:

Current data is only available till 2009. In 2009, the relative worth of $10.00 from 1873 is:

$185.00 using the Consumer Price Index

$173.00 using the GDP deflator

$1,260.00 using the unskilled wage

$2,180.00 using the Production Worker Compensation

$2,270.00 using the nominal GDP per capita

$16,100.00 using the relative share of GDP

Current data is only available till 2009. In 2009, the relative worth of $10.00 from 1873 is:

Yep . . . . $ 10 gold money then was 1/2 oz of the metal.

You can get 1/2 oz. of it today for roughly 730 of the U.S. paper "dollars".

So...maybe it's better and less expensive to buy a rifle these days...nope, I guess I wouldn't wanna go back :blink:

GG ~ :lol:

I read some where a while back. That you could by a new SA 73 in the late 1880's for a twenty dollar gold piece and today you could by a new Colt SA with a twenty dollar gold piece.

YEP . . . whut has changed in value is the U. S. paper $s . . . the gold or the guns don't change in value much.

So I guess it kind of hard to tell exactly.

Archived