SASS Wire Forum

Club operations

Creeker, SASS #43022

As scary as the thought may be to some - tomorrow marks the 1st day of my term as Vice President of the Eldorado Cowboys.

This is my first foray into club politics (my participation, up to now, was stirring the pot and getting away from the splatter).

We have a wonderfully experienced President (who will keep me well in check), but new blood always comes in with new ideas and I am no different.

I am also wise enough to realize there is a vast pool of knowledge and experience available to tap on the wire and I have full intentions to do so.

So in no particular order - here are some of the things that I think are opportunities for 2011 and I would love to hear from other clubs and club officers that have ideas or have had success with something that applies.

Club growth/ Publicity - How to you get more folks to hear about you and come out?

Fundraising - Annuals and club giveaways take funds, what methods have had success?

Social media/ websites - Does your club use Facebook, twitter, etc.. Have they shown benefit?

Print/ Broadcast media - Has your club been featured or promoted thru these means? If so, how did it happen? Could it be duplicated?

Thank you in advance for your assistance, Creeker.

Your job is to run the meetings if the president can't make it. Or, take over if he resigns. Unless there are other duties as assigned. Not real exciting.

Been there.

If you want to advertise, everyone puts up posters at the gunshop and sets up at the gunshow. Preaching to the choir there. Try advertising at the barber shop, beauty shops, auto parts store, pizza parlor, etc. Think out of the box. Open houses work good, people like the idea of a free day at the range. Word of mouth has been the best form of advertising for clubs I've attended. SASS should run ads in magazines other than just gun rags, perhaps Ebony, Cosmopolitan, etc. Might get the word out to some large groups that have never heard of CAS.

Good Luck and Hppy New Year!

LL'

Your job is to run the meetings if the president can't make it. Or, take over if he resigns. Unless there are other duties as assigned. Not real exciting.

Been there.

I also get to attend funerals of Foreign Heads of State and preside over the Senate. Don't forget that. :unsure:

Rent a small table at a gunshow. Have handbills ready to hand out, maybe a photo board, and if you're really ambitious have a video playing of a SASS event ... from your home club or edited together from clips off of YouTube.

TV coverage ... a press release regarding your club and next shoot sent to your local stations adressed to the assignment editor, feature reporter, and sports director might work best. Send to all of them all at the same time so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. You'll be competing against news about Hollywood celebretards and their stupid antics for air time, so make sure your message stands out.

Guest diablo slim shootist

Don't forget if your President gits assassinated you have to take over

the country (er club) lost a couple of presidents at our club(no assassinations yet)

i had to take over right after a guy moved away for a job-Be prepared it happens :unsure:

If you can get a good deal on a "cowboy" gun and sell raffle tickets for 5-10 bucks a peice you can raise alot of money for the club. I'm Treasurer of Firelands Peacemakers and I always keep an eye out for a good deal.

To bring in more shooters nothing works better than well written stages, buildings, saloons etc. and freindly folks running the club and a nice clubhouse helps too. Good luck to ya, Rye

Creeker, Contact Deputy Curly, he is the new Pres of the Arizona Cowboy Shooters Association. He as a mind for getting CAS into the eye of the public. He has done a great job for our club over the years in this area. He has some great ideas and knows what has worked and what has not. During my time as President of ACSA he was always coming in with new ways to get info out to folks.

I do believe if you go to the ACSA web site his contact info is there.

Good luck in your new position you sill have a great time I am sure. :D

BIG TIM

Creeker, thank you for stepping up and taking on the job, I appreciate folks to put forth the effort to keep cowboy clubs moving along.

A web site is a must in this day and age. An email list is also a good idea, helps get info out to the membership even if they don't check the website.

Since True Grit is in the theaters now, perhaps organizing an outing to the movies will all your pards in full CAS clothing and dropping a note to the human interest reporters of the local media would generate some interest.

First and foremost would be to not take yourself too seriously, have a thick skin, listen more than you talk, and remember this is a game meant to be fun.

Best of luck with your efforts.

Grizz

The politics will be real and sometimes can get ugly. You can have shooters try to run the club without being elected, people showing up to matches impaired and range lawyers who second guess every ROs call. You might even be threatened. Do your best, stay cheerful and when you've had enough take a break and let someone else carry the load.

Archived