SASS Wire Forum

Plainsman Rifle eligibility

Harvey Mushman

One little suggestion for all you other gamers shooting hand-rifles with ejectors. If you rub a little bp lube on the brass cartridges they will always eject nicely - never stick. It seems pretty common for cartridges to stick and not eject from handi-rifles, especially for those using bp subs with smokeless lube on the bullets - the things are just too dry. A little good bp lube on those cartridges and things will go better for you.

I love my hand-rifle and I love my ROA's. I understand the guy that almost always win Plainsman at Winter Range (and perhaps EOT) uses tricked-out Colts. I've also seen people operate low-walls as fast or faster than the best hand-rifle shooters. Oh, I usually shoot full load bp 45-70 in my gamer handi-rifle (400g pills) - i feel it gives me an advantage.

Allie - sorry, but I would not let you shoot two-handed in my plainsman event UNLESS I put you in a different category. Last time I did plainsman I had a lady beg to shoot two-handed - said she could not shoot duelist. She seemed harmless to me so I allowed it. Next thing I knew she was pounding out those pistol shots like she was Duece Stevens and I knew I had just made things very unfair for the other lady shooters who cowboy'd up and were shooting duelist. Another category - OK, but not competing against those shooting duelist.

Hey William,

I understand and agree. I just wish I could shoot. Another category, or just give me my score and don't publish them works for me. I do know two ladies who cannot shoot duelist that really kick butt two handed. Alas, I still come in last using two hands. Cowboying up has nothing to do with it.

Regards,

Allie Mo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My idea of Plainsman years ago was to shoot the guns of a plainsman i.e. a big bore gun capable of or used commonly to shoot buffalo. Not pop guns. So I'm thinking 45/70, 38-55, Sharps, rolling/falling blocks or Trapdoors etc. Plainsman kinda started out that way. Guys got out their long range single shots and had a chance to show off some fine shooting. Many of the early SASS Plainsman shooters came from the buckskinning culture. Once the Handi rifle entered the scene those with the buffler guns gave up on it as they were just too slow and accuracy no longer counted that much. I really like Brownie Nash's answer to the arguments for and against more modern weaponry in a side match originally for those guns used on the OPEN PLAINS at longer ranges. Splitting the category into traditional, modern and sodbuster should make both the traditionalists (like myself) and the popgun shooters happy. If it were up to me, and it AIN'T, I'd require at least 50 grains of black powder for any rifle to be considered a Plainsman cartridge. Obviously you'd have to have either very sturdy or expendable rifle targets but cheap buckets, clay birds, water cups aren't that spendy. Plainsman, like SASS in general has evolved over the years. Brownie's idea lets the traditionalists and modernistas shoot with rather than against each other. Sorry I got into this discussion a little late but that's my 2 cents.

First off Allie, You can shoot two handed in any plainsman event I run ,,,,,, Folks She has a medical reason for no longer being confident shooting one handed (least to the best of my knowledge)..... Allie I'm still waiting to get with-in huggin range of Ya .....

Any how come North and shoot,any of Ya All that like to have fun shooting .....

Jabez Cowboy

OK Pards,

Here is my 3 cents worth.

I have shot in a few Plainsmen matches at the State Level, even won a couple buckles.

Yea it's hard to beat a Handy Rifle fer sure. Just remember that you have 3 other guns to shoot so beat them there. I shoot the H&R Officer Trapdoor in 45-70. It is loaded with 40gr.Goex 3F, filler and a 300gr. bullet. I can hold my own with some using the Handy Rifle not all but some. If they make a bobble shame on them.

Anyway I get more style points and comments on how good my rifle looks and shoots.

That my friends is what it is all about.

Jim

Archived