SASS Wire Forum

Help Me Decide.....

Bama Red

If I can hit a man's torso, consistently, at 100 meters, that's accurate enough for my purposes.

I have three of the four subjects discussed here, more of a couple of them.

This is the order in cost and accuracy both:

Springfield M1-A

SCAR AR15

M85- AK-47

Let me say this the AK will NOT consistantly hit anything close to a torso consistently at fifty meters let alone a hundred. If you don't believe me, come and shoot mine on our personal range.

If you want incredible accuracy and that's about it, go with the AR package.

If you want accuracy and put em down to stay down, don't go with the AR package.

Use the M14/M1-A in .308

Remember the standard AR package is still a .22 in and about 55GR. It won't stop a big man, it sure won't stop a vehicle.

IMO.

PM me Bamma............

Remember the standard AR package is still a .22 in and about 55GR. It won't stop a big man, it sure won't stop a vehicle.

Uh, the AR platforms we're speakin of (least me) ARE in 308 cal -

Lets not compare 5.56 to 308 :FlagAm:

If I can hit a man's torso, consistently, at 100 meters, that's accurate enough for my purposes.

My SKS with iron sights is more than good enough to meet a 100 meters standard.... I thought you were going to say out to 300 or 400 yards....

If you just want a .30 cal carbine, go for an AK (7.62 x 39). The fit and finish isn't great on the parts kit guns, but they work all the time. If you want 7.62 nato, a Cetme (similar to G3) or FAL from Century are about your only options in your price range. They are hit and miss quality-wise though. You might get lucky and find a PTR for a little over a grand; they are nice G3 type rifles. DSA makes nice FALs, but again they are over your budget.

AR's are great for modularity (rails, etc), but a 7.62 version is going to be more than $1,000.

Dang, near 4 yrs the the Corps with a tour in SE Asia 'n nobody ever 'splained that to me :unsure::FlagAm:

Hell Hoss don't you remember that when you went to the range if you weren't to hung over you could get fairly close to that black dot at the other end with darn ne'er every shot?

And when you were in country face down in the mud did it not ever cross your mine just once on just how in hell did those little SOBs could carry all those damn bullets...

As a different option that no one has mentioned yet, what about a 300 Blackout? AR-15 utilizing .308 projectiles in sub or supersonic quite accurately. It will cost a couple hundred more at the moment than your $1000 limit, but quite an enjoyable round to shoot.

The AK's (style) are fun to go play with,but like's been said,not real accurate.Now I'm not a big fan of the SKS,but when I was living in Minnesota a couple of my friends bought SKS's and I have to admit they weren't too bad.They used them for deer hunting,or ambushing since you plant your butt in a tree and hope to ambush something.Anyway,with surplus ammo they did good to shoot a 5-6 inch group at 100yds.Using factory hunting ammo ( I think it was federal) they shot just over a 1 inch group with open sights.That's not too bad for a military type of rifle they bought for under $150 at that time.But then they had much younger eyes than mine,so I probably would have been around the 2-3 inch group.I have an M1A and 2 Garands and an M1 Carbine, you couldn't talk me out of any of those,but I bought them when you could afford them.

My SKS with iron sights is more than good enough to meet a 100 meters standard.... I thought you were going to say out to 300 or 400 yards....

I'd like to see that done, really would, when it warms up a touch.

Folks, thanks for all the info and feedback. Y'all have given me lots of info and the benefit of your experience and I surely appreciate all of it.

For now, I have decided to raise the budget to a max of $1500 and have pretty much settled on a Springfield Armory M1A. I know it doesn't fit the parameters of my original post, but, hey, its a New Year and I can change my mind if I want to. I used an M-14 throughout Army Basic in 1968 and remember how much I enjoyed firing it. My eyes are older now and I doubt I could qualify Expert with one, but I'm willing to give it a try. Just need to save up the extra $$$.

Now to start another argument ....er, discussion: walnut or synthetic stock??

Folks, thanks for all the info and feedback. Y'all have given me lots of info and the benefit of your experience and I surely appreciate all of it.

For now, I have decided to raise the budget to a max of $1500 and have pretty much settled on a Springfield Armory M1A. I know it doesn't fit the parameters of my original post, but, hey, its a New Year and I can change my mind if I want to. I used an M-14 throughout Army Basic in 1968 and remember how much I enjoyed firing it. My eyes are older now and I doubt I could qualify Expert with one, but I'm willing to give it a try. Just need to save up the extra $$$.

If you still want the picitinny rail on the front, get the SOCOM II model. If you are just going to get a basic version (no rails or scope mount), I vote for the wood stock. It looks a lot classier.

For weight- synthetic

For--- nevermind - git synthetic :D

...tricked out SOCOM II model like the one at the bottom of the page - http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory28.php - of the link.... this is not the model used by your grandpa!!!!

Archived