SASS Wire Forum

I'm such a whimp

Tom Muley

What happened? It was not long ago I could work all day in the cold wind, but today I only lasted about 30 minutes. It wasn't even that cold, about 30 degrees, but the wind was about 35 mph. Just wondering what all the tough people can handle.

Tom: Don't know how old you are but I notice the same thing. Guess I am not a tough person any more. I am 67.

Frazee

What happened? It was not long ago I could work all day in the cold wind, but today I only lasted about 30 minutes. It wasn't even that cold, about 30 degrees, but the wind was about 35 mph. Just wondering what all the tough people can handle.

Tom, when I was a kid I was raised in a snow bank.. lol.. I lived in northern Il, and southern WI. It was cold!!!!!!!!! I use to run back in the barn to warm up all day long even with snowsuits, and layers of clothing. I spent all my time in the house sitting on floor registers trying to stay warm.. When I moved west this last time I decided I could never go back unless I am wrapped in a heating blanket and have someone to serve me food so I don’t have to get out of it.. lol I honestly don’t know how people take it. I hope someone tells me their secret. I have tried hats, and fleece boots, wool, and nothing helps. I have learned to live with it and try to no complain and ruin everyone else time out shooting…. hot drinks do help a bit, cold drinks are painful so I drink water at room temp during the winter when I am out on a colder day. Stay warm,,,, the days are getting longer!!!!!!!!!!

I hate being cold. Throughout my career I always requested jungle or desert assignments. Fortunately most of the nasty places in the world were in those areas. Even moved to SE`Arizona in the Chiricahua Desert to get away from the cold. So guess what. As we speak it's snowing in beautiful downton Sierra Vista. Forecast is 8-18" of snow above 6,000 feet, with some snow to 4,500 feet. Chez Spooky is about 4,800'.

Did I mention I hate being cold.

Cold is a young person's game. Kids running around in sweaters or jackets open with the temps in the 20's and winds above 20-30 mph. Can't even go to a shoot anymore if the temp is below 50 and there's no sun. Spent a good part of my life in desert locations and boy do I miss it. Twenty+ inches of snow with 40 mph winds this past weekend was no fun, even inside.

As a younger sprig, I loved cold weather. Snow, wind, rain, no nevermind. Now at 72 if it gets below fifty, it is refrigerator weather. Can't take it no mo. My Daddy tolt me that would happen.

I don't know. If I get dressed properly, I'll stay out most of the day in 10 below. I can sit on a tractor for a few hours plowing in that kind of weather, if I'm dressed properly. Great fun to go bore holes in the ice and go ice fishing. Brought back a couple hundred pounds of ice one day. Went out once, came back after being out all day and my wife asked where all the fish were. I told her she was silly. It took me darn near the hole day just to dig a hole big enough to put the boat in.

It's kind of fun to come in after several hours, icicles on my mustache and lay a big ol' kiss on the missus. Nothing turns a woman on like a cold, wet, sloppy kiss. She isn't as fast as she used to be.

I don't mind snow and I don't mind cold but it is a bear when they get together.

Fred(it helps to be of Norske desent)Finagler

Aint tuff a'tall. Bein borned and rasieded in Texas but livin' in Minnestoa has changed me a bit..............

Windchill bout 35 below, I dress in LAYERS..............

Waddle like a duck when I walk !!!! :FlagAm:

Guest Henry Horns SASS #19579L
Waddle like a duck when I walk !!!! :)

Just don't fall down, Apache.

Like Charlie Brown, you'll never be able to get up again. :FlagAm:

Stay warm, Pard.

H

I believe they say your blood thins as you age, makes ya more cranky when its cold outside. I grew up in Detroit and Cleveland and moved to the Rocky Mtns. I lived at 7000 feet in Park City Ut. for years and when I closed in on retirement I believe I hated the cold. I still think I'm tough but I choose not to enjoy the cold anymore. I have and still do Flyfish when its zero, but I dont seem to mind it then, go figure. Well, live in southwest Or. now so its more climate controlled but does get cold as evidenced by several inches of white stuff outside, time for more Whiskey I guess.

I live in Jawja and we don't do cold very well. We invested all our money in air conditioning units. If it gets below about 20 degrees, they start shutting down the schools, snow or no snow. I have a 50 degree rule. If it ain't getting above 50 degrees, I ain't going shooting. I can't feel my fingers when they get cold and I sure don't want to drop a gun. Besides, I can't aim good when my teeth are chattering.

Cold I don't mind so much. But when we start measuring the snow with yardsticks I gets a little aggravated..

I left northern Utah in '65, moved back for 9 months in '69-'70, lived in Pekin, IL from '70 to '72, wintered in Iwakuni, Japan in '73-'74 and been in southern California since then.

I have a real problem with cold any more, don't own a winter coat (tore the lining on my cool weather jacket yesterday), and have trouble with pain in my hands just getting things out of the freezer or fridge.

I used to ski, hunt, hike, and camp out in sub-zero temperatures and snow up to 210 inches of "base", walked to school on that weather with not much more outerwear than a Levi jacket, scarf, and gloves, but I'd last about 30 seconds in that nowadays.

BTW I'm coming up on my 69th birthday in March.

I spent a year around the Arctic Circle in the 70's and my early 20's....spent most of my time in a light coat and no long johns...had a great time....I am pushing 60 now...live in snow country...I HATE THE F@##$$% SNOW and cold woke up this morning to 19 outside.....pipes frozen....got to go thaw them to brush my theeth...!@@#$$#@...anyone want to trade there house in the desert for a home in the mountains?

I left northern Utah in '65, moved back for 9 months in '69-'70, lived in Pekin, IL from '70 to '72, wintered in Iwakuni, Japan in '73-'74 and been in southern California since then.

I have a real problem with cold any more, don't own a winter coat (tore the lining on my cool weather jacket yesterday), and have trouble with pain in my hands just getting things out of the freezer or fridge.

I used to ski, hunt, hike, and camp out in sub-zero temperatures and snow up to 210 inches of "base", walked to school on that weather with not much more outerwear than a Levi jacket, scarf, and gloves, but I'd last about 30 seconds in that nowadays.

BTW I'm coming up on my 69th birthday in March.

I was in Iwakuni 73-74

Was with H&S Co., Support Battalion, 3d FSR. Used to run the sea wall around the south end of the runways with Gunny Cephus and Staff Sgt Barba in way-to-hell-and-gone sub zero wind chill weather and come back to the barracks with the towel around my face frozen solid.

Tom, when I was a kid I was raised in a snow bank.. lol.. I lived in northern Il, and southern WI. It was cold!!!!!!!!! I use to run back in the barn to warm up all day long even with snowsuits, and layers of clothing. I spent all my time in the house sitting on floor registers trying to stay warm.. When I moved west this last time I decided I could never go back unless I am wrapped in a heating blanket and have someone to serve me food so I don't have to get out of it.. lol I honestly don't know how people take it. I hope someone tells me their secret. I have tried hats, and fleece boots, wool, and nothing helps. I have learned to live with it and try to no complain and ruin everyone else time out shooting…. hot drinks do help a bit, cold drinks are painful so I drink water at room temp during the winter when I am out on a colder day. Stay warm,,,, the days are getting longer!!!!!!!!!!

Ya know...out of all da folks dat responded to dis cold post, I never figgered on YOU not bein able to take it !!!! :P

No Sireeee Bob, never thouht I'd live to see da day !! :FlagAm:

Was with H&S Co., Support Battalion, 3d FSR. Used to run the sea wall around the south end of the runways with Gunny Cephus and Staff Sgt Barba in way-to-hell-and-gone sub zero wind chill weather and come back to the barracks with the towel around my face frozen solid.

I was with MCB5 Building the Brig & waves chge.....working outside ....cold.....no thing then....now

OOPS! That was Okinawa.

Iwakuni was MFAJ-9, WERS-17, MWSG-17, 1st MAW. The sea wall was Iwakuni. It was warmer on The Rock.

Long ago, old worn out memories.

OOPS! That was Okinawa.

Iwakuni was MFAJ-9, WERS-17, MWSG-17, 1st MAW. The sea wall was Iwakuni. It was warmer on The Rock.

Long ago, old worn out memories.

Lordy Forty Rod....da dreaded double tap...... :FlagAm:

Ok. Have nother drink, ok ? It helps !! :P

I'm gittin more wimpy ever year :FlagAm:

My feet don't thaw out until May! I hate the cold, planning on gettin outta here in a couple a years, Go West young man....er....older guy!

Don't feel bad, pard. I used to be able to handle cold pretty well, but ever since the doctor put me on all those blood thinners, my hands get freezing cold at the drop of a hat. And I'm only 55.

I feel your pain. I used to be able to go up the hill before first light and sit in the tree stand literally all day long. Snow, freezing rain, wind - it didn't matter. Now, I can't wait for 1130 so I can come down, go to the cabin and have some nice hot joe and some lunch...

:D

It was "0" when I got up this morning..Not as bad as north of here though..It was -18 in Alamosa, -14 in Taos..And that was the acual temps..Not wind chill! :D

I think the snow we got Thursday's gonna be here for awhile..

With the low humidity out here it don't feel quite so bad as it would back in N.C., believe it or not..It's always nearly 100% humidity, so when it gets down in the teens and the wind starts blowing, it's miserable!

Of course zero IS cold, no matter how ya cut it..

It was "0" when I got up this morning..Not as bad as north of here though..It was -18 in Alamosa, -14 in Taos..And that was the acual temps..Not wind chill! :D

I think the snow we got Thursday's gonna be here for awhile..

With the low humidity out here it don't feel quite so bad as it would back in N.C., believe it or not..It's always nearly 100% humidity, so when it gets down in the teens and the wind starts blowing, it's miserable!

Of course zero IS cold, no matter how ya cut it..

Know just what ya mean there D.C. Spent a coouple of winters there in Yadkinville a few years back........

While I still had a bad case of ramblein' fever !

It's not in da mountains, like you where, but ifin' ya look on da map, ya just might find it.

In da heart of flu cured baccer growin country.

And I thought ranchin' was hard work !!! :unsure:

At age 25 I spent a winter in northern Michigan. That is one of the main reasons I live in southern Missouri today.

Damn few people move north when they retire.

Archived