SASS Wire Forum

OT: Anyone shoot a Springfield 1903 for target

Horace Smead

I've got an F. Goss rear sight, I believe this is called a Bolt Sleeve Sight. Anyhow, I don't have a 1903 but have access to one. How does the sight attach. Also, I'm having trouble finding much of any reference to these sights here on the internet, so any information on them is greatly appreciated. I've been told these are hard to come by, and can be fairly pricey when found, but can't say if that is all that factual. Thanks in advance for any insight on the matter. HS

Don't know about a stock 03, but I used to shoot an 03A3 with stock peep and hooded front and it was a tack driver as is. Wish I still had it.

Haven't seen one in many years. If I remember correctly they screw into the rear of the bolt. Don't ask me how but I remember they came with a threaded portion up front of the aperture. Not very accurate compared to the sight on the '03 or even the '03A3. There must be some milsurp or antiques web sites that have info.

First of all, If you have an 03A3 you will need to replace the trigger guard/magazine unit (which is made out of flimsy stamped metal) with an original milled, 1903 trigger guard/magazine unit.

The milled trigger guard/magazine unit is strong enough to solidly lock the rifle's action into the stock-a necessity for accuracy.

Back in the old days, a lot of '03 competitors installed a Lyman, peep, rear sight on their rifles. So you might want to check some of the internet sites and see if you can locate one of those Lyman peep sights for sale. That would be your best bet for a good, match sight.

Your Goss bolt sleeve sight is a collector's item now. It is usually valued at 250 to 450, depending on condition and model. Bolt sleeve sights are seldom as accurate in actual use as receiver sights, due to the play between the bolt and the receiver. The classic target sight for the '03 has always been the Lyman Model 48. They are not made now, but are readily available at from 125 to 225 in nice condition. They do require drilling and tapping the receiver for installation-- and most also require some stock inletting to clear the base.

Unfortunately, I know of no good target sight for the Springfield that does not require mounting by a gunsmith.

Trooper

Guest Crosscut Hardy SASS # 54701

Years ago I shot on a rifle/pistol team in Colorado and these guns normally shoot very accurately. The sights on mine (03A3) are some of the very best military sights on any military rifle I have ever shot. The trigger is sort of two staged and you have to learn or have taught how to shoot them for competition, mainly from sandbags and that is how I always shot mine. They are (some of them anyways) very accurate and capable of shooting extremely tight groups. crosscut hardy

Archived