SASS Wire Forum

New Camper ,Need a generator

Tuco Taveras SASS#79313

Hows Parda:Just got back from shooting the BIG Four............Deer,Bear,Elk and Antelope....The Wife bought me a 30 ft goose neck camper for christmas.......It's got an ac/dc power inverter on it ,so now we need a generator....I know everyone has got one ,and I "ve,.listened to everybody's run at all the shoots....DoI buy a quiet one?....Or Take the muffler off to sound like a "BIG SHOOT" guy..How many watts would I need to run a small AC unit???Some of them are so big ya can't lift them into the truck.....Don't know how many times I was asked "Hey young feller help me lift my huge generator into the truck"....I would like a light quiet one ...thanks Tuco.

With AC they draw a lot of power so you aren't going to find one of those little 20 pound generators that's going to do the job. What a lot of people are doing is buying two Honda 2000's and then running them in tandem when you run the AC. Lightweight, quiet, and Honda makes the connector to hook the two together. To run an AC (depends on how big your AC is) you need at least 3000 watts. Watts = weight.

What Larson said. Two Honda 2000s slaved to run in tandem will handle most trailer 13,500 BTU AC units. It's the set-up I use and the Hondas run at 58 dB. Quieter than normal talking.

Consider seriously a pair of Honda EU2000 gensets. You can use them individually or hook them in parallel for a 4000 watt capability. They are pretty light (at about 75 lbs. fully fueled). They are very quiet. For long term use (beyond a couple of hours) you need an extended run fuel tank. You can make one up for about $50 or buy one for about $160. They are worth every cent you spend.

I've had mine for four years and am a very satisfied customer.

Yamaha has a competing unit. I've not seen one in person but he ads say it has a slightly larger capacity (2400 watts vs. 2000 watts) and can be hooked in parallel. Don't know anything about quality, extended run tanks, noise, etc.

Honda also makes a 3000 watt and 6500 watt ultra quiet genset, but they are significantly heavier. My wife, in an emergency, can heft the EU2000 into the bed of the pickup. The larger sets are a two man job.

Good luck in your search.

SQQ

Consider seriously a pair of Honda EU2000 gensets. You can use them individually or hook them in parallel for a 4000 watt capability. They are pretty light (at about 75 lbs. fully fueled). They are very quiet. For long term use (beyond a couple of hours) you need an extended run fuel tank. You can make one up for about $50 or buy one for about $160. They are worth every cent you spend.

I've had mine for four years and am a very satisfied customer.

Yamaha has a competing unit. I've not seen one in person but he ads say it has a slightly larger capacity (2400 watts vs. 2000 watts) and can be hooked in parallel. Don't know anything about quality, extended run tanks, noise, etc.

Honda also makes a 3000 watt and 6500 watt ultra quiet genset, but they are significantly heavier. My wife, in an emergency, can heft the EU2000 into the bed of the pickup. The larger sets are a two man job.

Good luck in your search.

SQQ

I've got the dual Honda setup and LOVE it. Use 'em both for a/c in the summer and a single for heat in the winter. I've been wondering if an external fuel tank was available. Could you link how to build one and/or where to buy one? Thanks.

I have a Yamaha 3000iSB and like it very much. It runs my AC just fine. However... it also is a bit too heavy for this old guy to put in the back of the truck easily. I build a rack on the back of my 5th and leave it there.

I also have a small trailer that I take sometimes. For it, I purchased two Yamaha 2000 watt generators that hook together and provide plenty of power for the AC. They are easy to pick up.

Thes generators are Yamaha's equivelent of the popular Honda generators.

I think that they are both very good units, and all of them are very quite.

I liked the looks of the Yamaha better, and they were just a tad cheaper. I also like the extra 500 watt boost that comes on the Yamaha 3000iSB, which gives it penty of power to get things started.

One thing to consider is this. A unit mounted on a rack in the back of your trailer has the advantage of a large fuel tank that will last a lot longer that the two units hooked together when running the AC for an extended period of time. Also... the larger unit is capable of using a remote control start... which is nice..... especially on a cold morning.

Snakebite

With AC they draw a lot of power so you aren't going to find one of those little 20 pound generators that's going to do the job. What a lot of people are doing is buying two Honda 2000's and then running them in tandem when you run the AC. Lightweight, quiet, and Honda makes the connector to hook the two together. To run an AC (depends on how big your AC is) you need at least 3000 watts. Watts = weight.

Thanks Larsen,.......We are planning our maiden voyage with the new camper down to winter range .........I been down to Founders Ranch a few times...how long from there to the winter range fandango...Thanks Tuco.

Yep...2 Honda 2000's is the way to go. Use only one, and then when you run the a/c hook up the second. A single is really economical too.

Whatever you decide to do, please do all of us "Tent Campers" a huge favor. Get a QUIET one (or more).

Not only will we, sleeping in a nylon shell, appreciate it, so will the neighbors you are parked right next to.

I know folks who run tandem quiet ones and several times a really LOUD generator has parked next to them at a big shoot and run the thing all night.

Made them wonder why they spent the extra money to go quietly into the night.

Then they remembered...they are respectful (and respectable) people and want to do "the right thing".

but hey, that's me just being selfish & telling you how to spend your money. Take your advice from folks who have and use generators!

Oso

Two Honda 2000's like the others have said. Combined there are 3800 and most RV Airs need 3500 to for start up. I have had bigger but you need someone to help with getting them in and out of the bed of the truck. The 2000's well fit in any of your storage compartments. And they do sell a 5gal gas tank set up for single or double 2000's. NBC

I've got the dual Honda setup and LOVE it. Use 'em both for a/c in the summer and a single for heat in the winter. I've been wondering if an external fuel tank was available. Could you link how to build one and/or where to buy one? Thanks.

My pleasure!!!

Here's the commercial version. I bought mine from these guys. Quality was OK.

http://wisesales.com/DurationTanks.html?gc...CFUHt7QodHl-CZQ

Here are the plans for the "roll your own" version:

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/ar...uel%20tank.html

I'm glad so many minds are running in the same track on this one!!! :unsure:

SQQ

This is all the generator you will need. One person can lift it in and out of the truck no problem.

http://wisesales.com/honda_EU3000iH.html

Thank you for this reference. When my 2000s have gone across the Rainbow Bridge I'll look at this for a replacement. :unsure:

These, too, can be run in parallel for a 6000 watt capacity.

SQQ

:unsure: I have the Honda 2000's if you buy them get the new companion it has a 30amp outlet I also have the entended run fuel system it is sold by VM MFG www.vmsales.com in Granbury Tx. 76048 . It is a 6 gal marine fuel tank and I ran my AC last summer for 12 hrs and still had 3 gal of fuel left in the tank . It's a slick outfit before that they would run out of gas in about 4 hrs . I was going to sell them and get the Honda 3000 until I found out about the fuel system and the 3000 weighs about 150 lbs . Woodfox

Hey!

Be sure to get extra capacity, at elevation you will lose power, particularly over 5000 ft. You'll need it out here in the west, and at EOT for sure.

My AC is supposed to draw only 3000w but my 3500w generator isn't enough to run it at elevation. If it was me doing it over again, I'd not get less than 5000w in whatever form you like. Hondas and Yamaha's seem to be on the more quiet and reliable side.

I've thought about the tandem Hondas but I'm not sure 4000w is enough, my home range is around 7000ft. and I like to camp higher in the summer time.

Unless you are going to really use your RV as a second home, I'm not sure the inverter (expensive) generators are worth it, mine runs at 69 decibels according to Honda, louder than the EU Hondas etc. but not anywhere near as loud and as the Briggs and Stratton type.

For me, the cost for a few less decibels was too significant to overcome. Now if I hadn't tried to keep it to a "little" extra power...

I also put wheels on my generator and use some ramps I also use for my (stagecoach) guncart or anything else.

Doc Nelson

Although I'm a new SASS Member, I've been camping with a 5th wheel for many years (we dry camp alot with our horses). I started out with a 4000w quiet generator and found that in the summertime, with the air, TV, microwave, coffee pot, etc. all running at the same time, I'd throw the breaker. Heck, the air and microwave don't like to work at the same time with that rig.

So, I ran upon the "deal you can't pass up" on a Briggs & Stratton rig after our last hurricane (they tended to be numerous and cheap about 4-5 months after the storm was gone). It's a 6500w rig that handles everyting without a problem. The issue was the volume. So, I made a cheap box out of 1/4" plywood and lined it with 1" styrofoam. It's a three sided box with regular hinges and done so it can be folded up and lie flat. I have another part that works as the lid. I simply set it around the generator with the open side for the exhaust. While it doesn't do a lot for those over in "that" direction, it lowers the noise by at least 1/2 for everyone else. You can't cover the exhaust side for obvious reasons, but it works for it's intended purpose when we camp. Our camping friends have since made various forms of what I made to lower their volume as well.

I also invested in the 25' extension cord. Buy the heavy gauge since every foot loses you juice....especially if it's not heavy gauge. You'll notice that every foot away from your rig, it gets quieter and quieter. At 50' (my normal plug plus the extension) and the box, we can all sit around the rig (or fire) and talk at normal volumes without being hindered by the generator(s).

Just a thought to consider. Congrats on your new rig!

Chick

Well. I don't have the Honda. Got one of them big 5500 watt loud things. :FlagAm:

And we find ourselves NOT going many times just because of that.

I HATE those generators running. And I know this one is loud. So we only use it once, maybe twice a year.

And then only run it when we really need to. Then shut it off. And always shut it off at night.

Which I feel you should even with the quiet ones. :FlagAm:

Luckly. Some of the shoots we go to. Have hookups on site. :unsure:

Do yourself a favor and get the Honda's. :FlagAm:

We hope to get them sometime this year.

Two comments from a marine perspective. Gas gensets can create carbon monoxide (more than diesel, for example), so users need to pay attention to exhaust fumes, ventilation, functioning carbon monoxide detectors, etc. Also, sound boxes are quite common, often a combination of metal case (in the marine environment) and soft foil-lined insulation. (Sound boaxes can create a maintenance issue, of course, but if you're working on portable units versus fixed units stuffed into an already crowded engine-room, the design of the sound box could easily solve most of that.)

-Chris

Hey!

Be sure to get extra capacity, at elevation you will lose power, particularly over 5000 ft. You'll need it out here in the west, and at EOT for sure.

My AC is supposed to draw only 3000w but my 3500w generator isn't enough to run it at elevation. If it was me doing it over again, I'd not get less than 5000w in whatever form you like. Hondas and Yamaha's seem to be on the more quiet and reliable side.

I've thought about the tandem Hondas but I'm not sure 4000w is enough, my home range is around 7000ft. and I like to camp higher in the summer time.

Unless you are going to really use your RV as a second home, I'm not sure the inverter (expensive) generators are worth it, mine runs at 69 decibels according to Honda, louder than the EU Hondas etc. but not anywhere near as loud and as the Briggs and Stratton type.

For me, the cost for a few less decibels was too significant to overcome. Now if I hadn't tried to keep it to a "little" extra power...

I also put wheels on my generator and use some ramps I also use for my (stagecoach) guncart or anything else.

Doc Nelson

Hey Doc, good to hear from ya!

I have the two honda setup. with the extended time tank they ran for about 14 hours with the ac on when we went to lake city colo last summer. Occasionally had the microwave, coffee pot and stereo on as well. Elevation there was about 8500 feet.

One thing though, you cannot run the ac with the generators in the "Eco" mode as the startup draw from the ac will trip the breaker (at least at elevation) We ran them in the "on" mode which does not throttle back and uses a little more gas. Still love them though.

Also, I got mine from the folks at wise equipment as well. Nice people and price was very good. (about $500 better than local, even after shipping)

Looking forward to seeing you and the family somewhere down the road.

Regards

:unsure:

Gateway Kid

PS Hey Tuco, still making music? Maybe we can swap a few hunting lies (I mean facts :FlagAm: ) down at winter range

If you must get a generator, please make it a quiet one and don't run it at night when pards are trying to get some shuteye. Also, please park that tin tent a long way away from the canvas ones.

DD-DLoS

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

I purchgased a 2000 honda and was going to add another for AC. In 4 years I have never needed ac on campouts. I have never picked up that 2nd unit.

I purchgased a 2000 honda and was going to add another for AC. In 4 years I have never needed ac on campouts. I have never picked up that 2nd unit.

Clearly you have never tried it in Texas around June, July, Aug, Sept. :unsure:

But heck. I won't eitehr. :FlagAm: Even with a gen,

If no hook-ups them months. I won't spend the night.

Maybe find a camp ground close by for hookups.

Clearly you have never tried it in Texas around June, July, Aug, Sept. :unsure:

But heck. I won't eitehr. :FlagAm: Even with a gen,

If no hook-ups them months. I won't spend the night.

.....or April, May, October and some nights in November either. :FlagAm:

For the record, I had to turn on the AC in my office today to knock the heat off a bit. It was well into the 60's here today....and humid. :FlagAm:

Something to remember.

For every 3db increase.... the noise lever DOUBLES!

A 60 db generator is twice as loud as a 57 db generator... a 63 db generator is four times as loud... a 66 db is 8 times as loud etc, etc.

Snakebite

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

Just seeing that the man was from the Colorado Plataeu, I was tryiing to give him a heads up. He may not want to travel to any where that he needs AC. You can buy a lot of hook ups for a grand.

Notice I didn't give my opinion of going to Texas in the summer time... Trying to be nice.

Lots of good advice already given.

Do a google or yahoo search and you'll find lots of write ups such as;

http://www.campinglife.com/output.cfm?id=1112113

Seems like Yamaha and Honda usually lead the choices in the small units.

Another web-site with thousands of RV users is http://www.rv.net/forum/ It is a great site to get lots of information from people that use a lot of different RV's in all types of weather/climate.

Two Honda eu2000i's will be easy to handle and put out all the power you will need.

I did like Snakebite and went with a Yamaha EF3000iseb which resides semi-permanently under the topper in the bed of my F350. I went to the hardware store, bought a length of 10/3 cable 'bout 35' long, both plugs, and wired a cord so I don't have to unload the generator.

Tuco when I was in the market last year the EU3000 had just come out and it is a sweet pkg "man" portable and able to run just about everything at once. Funds were tight so I went with the old standard the EU2000 which in a pinch will run the AC unit in my hybrid. I just dont run anything else at the same time. At some point, if needed, I will double up with a second 2000 with the crossover kit but fortunately for me the times AC has been mandatory shore power has been available.

The next upgrade to the 2000 will be the three way fuel system that allows the use of propane, butane or high test with the flip if a switch. My plan is to run the 2000 on LP, skip carrying around the gas can and get it run cleaner, quieter and longer. Heck I've got two bottles on the camper, might as well use em both.

From whut I've seen and heard this is the way to go.

I personally only have a little $ 150 generator from Pep Boys an inverter and two batteries. Works for me . . . but I don't run an A/C.

I don't have a camper, been thinking about it since I'm retired, was at Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday, seen the 2000 honda's and was surprised at the price, over $1,000, so if you need 2 of them that is a pretty good chunk of money, they had the 3000 one also for around $2,000. So for the money you spend on a camper plus the generators, guess I will hotel it, with camper, truck, generators and all the asseories you need to camp, hotel sounds pretty cheap to me.

So I see if the campgrounds has electric hookups, that means no generator I presume?? I know all campgrounds don't have electric hookups or they are limited on hookups and it is first come basis. Hotel is looking pretty good at this time.

All for now JD Trampas ( wishing he had bought a camper many years ago )

Tuco forgot to add that another consideration is what else you will be doing with the gennie, like home use in case of power outage, running tools etc. One of the reasons I chose the 2000 was I can run the furnace on my little place with it in case of emergency.

And ref noise, well most places I camp/shoot at have suggested times of 0600 to 2100 or 2200 hrs for using these. Its funny because you can tell when everyone gets up in the morning to make coffee etc as thats when you'll hear the putt putt putt of them coming on.

WHATEVER you buy make sure you can secure it to a bumper or such with chain to discourage them "wandering" off. I'd never suspect a cowboy of taking one but since our venues arent closed it has happened to folks I know. Also check with your insurance company to ensure they unit is covered as well just in case it does happen. $20 worth of decent chain and an abus or master lock can convince someone with bad intent to go elsewhere.

Tuco forgot to add that another consideration is what else you will be doing with the gennie, like home use in case of power outage, running tools etc. One of the reasons I chose the 2000 was I can run the furnace on my little place with it in case of emergency.

And ref noise, well most places I camp/shoot at have suggested times of 0600 to 2100 or 2200 hrs for using these. Its funny because you can tell when everyone gets up in the morning to make coffee etc as thats when you'll hear the putt putt putt of them coming on.

WHATEVER you buy make sure you can secure it to a bumper or such with chain to discourage them "wandering" off. I'd never suspect a cowboy of taking one but since our venues arent closed it has happened to folks I know. Also check with your insurance company to ensure they unit is covered as well just in case it does happen. $20 worth of decent chain and an abus or master lock can convince someone with bad intent to go elsewhere.

Pony Their was a time,only a couple of years back we wouldn't think of locking them up, Sadly now all of that has changed. Adios Sgt. Jake

Yep. We had an ice storm a few years ago. Power out for 4 days.

We kept the wood burning stove with blower going for heat.

Refrigerator, freezer going so did not lose any food.

Cooked and watched TV all with the generator.

If you must get a generator, please make it a quiet one and don't run it at night when pards are trying to get some shuteye. Also, please park that tin tent a long way away from the canvas ones.

DD-DLoS

I went to the buff stampede and slept in the truck bed last year...it got down to 28 degrees...so cold I could not shoot till noon the next day.....besides the cold ,I had to listen to generators run from 6 am to 10;30 pm....I figured I better get one cause they sure as hell ain't gonna outlaw generators.....I always will park my new tin tent with the tin tent folks......I promise to stop by and check on you when it's 28 degrees when y'all are sleeping in your tent.....Would some one please think of the children!!~!Tuco. P.s. If it's too cold I won't use that as excuse not to shoot.

Archived