SASS Wire Forum

My Christmas Present from my Dad

rippin kid

As a new cowboy in SASS dad decided to give my my great grandfather's Colt. It looks to be a true 1875 colt with all the right numbers it was inspected by D.F.C. I'm having Colt do the history on it. Dad showed it to me when I was a kid but for almost 50 years it been in his desk hiden away. It's a bit rough but all there. I'm debating on having it restored or just putting it in a display box and hang it on the wall What do you all think?

Visit My Website

If it was mine and a piece of family history I'd converve it so it doesn't age any more and hang it up to pass on as it was passed on to you. Just my two cents, your results may differ.

My opinion, since you asked, is to have the value determined by a reputable expert. If, aside from being a family heirloom, it could be used as a downpayment on a house, then leave it alone, it is worth too much to mess with. However, if it is not worth a large sum of cash, see what it will cost to get it shootable.

I was in a similar place a few years ago. My father handed me my great uncles Colt. It is from 1898. However, in my case it was a bit of an easier question to answer. This Colt had been re-blued in the early 50's. The blue looked good, but they buffed the entire gun, one piece at a time, very heavily. So, the notches on the cylinder were too shallow to do any good, all the seams between parts look like crappola, and the bolt was broken. Since any value as a collectable was destroyed 50 years ago, I had no problem taking it to a 'smith for inspection and to make it shootable. The notches were re-cut, a new bolt was installed and an overall tune-up made. Now this a piece of shootable family history. First time it went to the range, I took my dad, my brother and a handful of other relatives to see this old sixgun come back to life and spew forth copious amounts of flame, smoke and lead! One of these days I will have this gun restored completely (recut the lettering, weld up and regrind the edges, and get the bluing off the frame so it looks like it should), but for now it is just plain fun to shoot a gun that has been in the family for so long.

Know any reputable experts on old Colt Values? Any one you guys recommend for having it restored? Just for the sake of my Great Grandfather say quality was more important than price on the restoration work.

From the pictures it looks about a half a click above relic status. Doesn't look like something that would be safe to shoot. Conserve it, think up some interesting family history (AKA tall tales) to tell the kids and pass it on.

If it was me. I'd have it repaired to working condition (not fully restored) and keep it to pass down. Every ding has a story behind it.

I'd never get rid of a family treasure like that.

But that's sentimental ole me.

Know any reputable experts on old Colt Values? Any one you guys recommend for having it restored? Just for the sake of my Great Grandfather say quality was more important than price on the restoration work.

Does Colt do this type of thing? and If they do, would that ad anything to the value of the restoration? Surely Colt would be the experts on Colt! Smithy.

I think if it were part of my families history,......I would make it mechanically sound , but not refinish it. maybe a set of period correct grips, and leave the rest,.........after all, it's only original once !

For quality restoration Turnbull Manufacturing Co. at http://www.turnbullmfg.com/ is the only REAL choice.

If you decide to shoot it, you are taking a big gamble even with appropriate loads. So why do it?

It will quite literally make you sick if you drop the hammer on a round you thot was safe and the next instant you look down and the top strap is sheared in two at the forcing cone and sticking up at a 45 or better degree angle, the top half of the cylinder gone. I have witnessed this happening. Resist the urge. There is absotively posilutely NO good reason to shoot it. It has earned a proud retirement. It's value is in the fondling now.

There are unlimited other guns to shoot.

I do collect 1st gen Colts but am far from being an expert so take this advice for what you paid for it. Without being able to see the detail of the markings it is difficult to determine an exact value but I think I can give you a range of $1800-4000 unless the serial number is in the Custer range or the gun has some other provenance. Based on the pictures, it does seem to be in fairly rough condition but that could have a lot to do with the pictures.

Assuming that the DFC markings are original (no reason to assume otherwise with the length of time it has been in your family) then I would have to bet that the gun has been period refinished in nickel. It is unlikely that Colt could have used a U.S cavalry frame on a civilian gun (and plated it in nickel) but highly unlikely it would have had the cavalry inspectors initials. Can you see the U.S. markings on the left side of the frame? Your letter from Colt will probably state that it was originally blued and shipped to the cavalry inspector. If you want to do some research on your own, I suggest John Kopec's book on the history of the Colt's Cavalry Revolver. Kopec is the renown expert on Colt's Cavalry revolvers.

As far as having it refinished or shooting it my suggestions are these. Do NOT attempt to shoot it without having it checked by a competant ANTIQUE gunsmith. Some people will suggest never shooting an original of that age but it can be done safely with the proper BP loads, depending on the gun. It can however get the topstrap blown off and be more dangerous to the shooter than anyone in front of it so BE CAREFUL and have it checked by someone that knows antiques first.

As for the refurbishing, opinions vary widely. If you go that route, Doug Turnbull is the man to do it but it will be expensive...his website has his prices. with the gun in the condition it appears, it will not be a more highly valued collectable without some unknown history or provenance behind it. It will likely be worth much more to you as a family heirloom than another collector. I personally think that makes it a good candidate for having it put back in it's original condition but that's just my opinion.

If I remember correctly, there are military Colts of that era that were nickel finished. They were usually supplied to native scouts and such. If yours is in of those it could be valuable. I wouldn't do anything to it (except store it properly and fondle and admire it) until you establish its provenance. If there is anything "special" about it, it will be worth more "as-is". If it turns out to not be valuable then establish its mechanical soundness and let your heart (and wallet) be your guide.

Colt will not restore 1st gen guns. They did a 2nd gen for me and it took about 9 months. The work was first rate.

Does Colt do this type of thing? and If they do, would that ad anything to the value of the restoration? Surely Colt would be the experts on Colt! Smithy.

+ 100%

If it was me. I'd have it repaired to working condition (not fully restored) and keep it to pass down. Every ding has a story behind it.

I'd never get rid of a family treasure like that.

But that's sentimental ole me.

Dad and I have decided to do the repair and not touch the outside of the gun . I really appreciate all the good advice. It sure would be fun to shoot the old girl with some cowboy BP loads and show it off at a few events. I'm going to order the book on Colt history and get some estimates on getting it in working order.

I would get it appraised first.... see what you have. Sometimes old stuff is worth more like it is, then you can decide. Also do not try to clean it up yourself, many that do cause it to loose value. Most important is that you have a piece history that is directly tied to your family. Good luck and keep us posted

I've become the family custodian of a Colt Pocket 1849 that my Great Great Grand Uncle carried during the Civil War.

476442528_c9cYJ-M.jpg

I'm tempted to restore it to working condition and then send five balls downrange -- for the ancestors. Then preserve it for the future Clan generations.

Archived