SASS Wire Forum

Happy almost 2011!

Prof. Fuller Bullspit

Saw this video:

No political intent, but one of the associated videos featured the Garand, which made me think of another venerable gun, the 1911.

This coming year will be the 100th anniversary of the 1911. So, if my resolution were to buy a 1911, with the caveat that it must be suitable for the "non-modern" category of the Wild Bunch match rules, which 1911 would/should I buy? Cost is of course an option so if it is over 700 dollars it won't be a candidate.

Perfessor -

Bought one of these: http://www.auto-ordnance.com/PA-1AO_pkz.html

From this feller: http://outlawgrips.com/

Be sure to locate a good local 1911 g'mith before you buy. Just in case...

Mine was my first "real" semi. If it needs work, it will need a couple of C notes worth.

I wish I had saved up some more and purchased something that did not require an experienced 1911 'smith just to get it to shoot more than 15-20 rounds before a failure to feed or eject. Be sure to have an experienced 1911 g'smith lined up in case you need their services.

Or go with Novaks: http://www.novaksights.com/ Their sight is a nightmare. Just call 'em and chat.

Just my dos centavos...

I have two RIA 1911's. My full size is two years old and shoots flawlessly and will shoot one hole groups at 30ft. Today I picked up a 3.5 in RIA and shooting my 200gr. reloads does very well for a short 1911. No failure to feeds at all in the 50 rounds I shot today.

My full size has had no absolutely NO gunsmithing done to it.

I'd look first for a good used Colt. Then for another brand of almost any kind lightly used, especially the older Springfield Armorys or Norincos. The new Springfields have an Integral Lock System that slightly messes up the trigger pull. Most issues with used 1911's are easily fixed by a decent smith. Good magazines will cure feeding issues; just stick to 230 gr. RNL bullets with a full load of powder.

Saw this video:

No political intent, but one of the associated videos featured the Garand, which made me think of another venerable gun, the 1911.

This coming year will be the 100th anniversary of the 1911. So, if my resolution were to buy a 1911, with the caveat that it must be suitable for the "non-modern" category of the Wild Bunch match rules, which 1911 would/should I buy? Cost is of course an option so if it is over 700 dollars it won't be a candidate.

I am haggling with my gun guy over a 1911 now...in no particular order what I am stressing over is RIA, Remington R1, Springfield, Kimber or him building me one starting with a RIA frame...the price varies from 400 to 625 give or take a little....the RIA, R1 & the custom build are mil spec as fair witch one cost what it would be starting on the low side RIA, Kimber, R1, & the Springfield...the custom build would start around 400 and go as high as I want to go....the Kimber & Springfield are used but are in almost new shape and may not be there when I go back in

Remington R1 is on my list. Had one on order this fall but before it came in a whole batch of bills did for unplanned medical expenses and I had to cancel the order. I'm hoping to be able to get one in 2011.

Professor: I realize that you said not to reply if the cost of a 1911 exeeded $ 700, but I cannot resist cheating just a little bit. I have recently purchased a new Series 80 Colt, Government Model, 45acp, 1911 for about $ 780. It is worth the extra $ 80 dollars over $ 700. The sights are larger, three white dots,which can be blacked out and/or restored making it acceptable for either of the traditional or modern Wild Bunch categories. I also own a Springfield Armory G.I. 1911-A1, an Armscor, High Standard 1911, both of which I am more than satisfied. But they are not Colts. I recently parted with my personal 1911 Colts by giving them to my two sons, both of whom are Federal Officers. The list included several Series 70 models one of which was my hardball match gun , a Colt Commander and a Colt Ace 22cal. I was trained in the use and care of 1911's as a young Marine in 1949. I carried one and used them in two wars, Korea and Vietnam, and a few other places. They never let me down. But after parting with my original Colts I felt naked without one. As I previously stated I really like the Springfield Armory 1911-A1, and the Armscor 1911. Both have proved to be very accurate, but I just can't help saying...they just are not Colts.

simple... take $700 then trade/ sell a safe queen on gunbroker or here on the WAHR add that and then buy the new Colt O1918 100th Anniversary coming to a store near you soon. Rumor is around $1100-1200.

Shoot from now to eternity and your estate will be damn glad to have had such a visionary cowboy because it will still fetch $1000 or more. Now that's not a $700 gun. That's practically free.

I am not a fan of the newer Springfields due to their ILS (Internal lock System) which is a lawyer-type feature that in my experience screws up their trigger pull. You can remove it by replacing the mainspring housing, which is about $40 for a replacement. OK to do for a used gun bought at a good price, but an unnecessary extra expense for a new one. I did not realize that this was a new Springfield feature until I bought a stainless GI. I replaced mine with an extra S&A mainspring housing which is not WB legal, but makes the trigger much nicer.

I have a Norinco 1911 which is an exact Colt clone and perfect for WB. They were quite inexpensive until Clinton banned their import. If you find one at a good price ($300 or so) snap it up. Dont worry about parts as all the Colt stuff will fit.

Used 1911's from almost any maker can be a good deal if the price is right. Any decent gunsmith can fix most 1911 issues that occur. I suggest having your local shop call you whenever a used Colt shows up until you get one you like.

I gotta go with Boss and Marshal Rusty. The RIA's are great 1911's. I've got a 3.5" model I bought last year and have had no FTF/FTE with it at all, and I've put maybe 500 rounds downrange with it so far. Like most any gun, it will need a break-in period (mebbe 300 or so rounds) to get it set to go, but hell, that's part of the fun!

Lots of good suggestion here. I have to say, I'm influenced by the idea of getting a Colt.

Any suggestions or thoughts on a Commander vs. the full sized model?

The full size model is the classic one, it balances the best and points well for more people than any other style.

Having said that - a lot of folks like the commander models, lightweight and combat, because it feels a bit better

to them.

Anything shorter than that tends to have feed/cycle reliability issues.

I've owned them all, and in various calibers, and think that the best all around gun out there

is still the Colt Series 80 Gov't model, in blue steel.

If you can have just one - get that one. Then - if fortune smiles - you might get others later - in various

makes and calibers. I'm planning to get a RIA Gov't in 9mm one day soon - as a play gun for IDPA and

general practice, as well as training others. A 9mm all steel Gov't model is cheap to feed, and has no recoil

worth mentioning. It's a $400 gun, a good tackle box gun if push comes to shove, and looks to be fun.

But that's cause I already have a Colt Gov't in .45ACP!

My Colt with Kimber Conversion unit

Get the Colt, get the Gov't model, and get it in .45 ACP. then you can shop for more toys!

Shadow Catcher

Archived