SASS Wire Forum

Gun safes

Saville

I need to buy a gun safe. Around 22 guns. There are so many but I have to stick to under $1300. I see Wal-mart has a couple called Rhino that seem heavy and enough pins. But I really have no clue as to which ccompany makes the better quality for the money I can spend. Help.

Saville

Very tough problem and its a very personal thing, really.

My safe is a very good one that I purchased at a reputable gun shop and is not fire protected (making cost a teeny bit less). It is bolted into a rather difficult place to get at with a sledge hammer or towrope.

Basically, the safe keeps the kids out of the guns, and I have other deterrents keep the burglurs away. I'll not go into details. I'll only say that it is worth your while and peace of mind to make your space an undesirable target and make "time" the burglars enemy.

If said bad guys got in (burglars can get into most anyplace) while nobody was here, it would take them too long to crack the safe and still get away clean. I would likely loose a TV or some such thing.

I bought my Winchester safe at Sams Club years ago for a nice price. It has the lowest fire rating (other than 0), but it basically does what I need it to. I recently saw a nice safe at Costco in the $500-600 range; I believe it was a Liberty. It sounds like you can get a nicer one (higher burglar and fire rating) in your price range though. No safe is burglar or fire proof; some just take longer than others. I guess it just depends on what you want.

Howdy Saville,

You may want to check out believe it or not Costco online. I bought a gunsafe actually from the physical store about 9 months ago. Is a "Bighorn Classic". Often Costco online has a better selection whereas the store itself nearest you may not have the item in stock.

You can arrange delivery to your front door and by that point have your pards ready to move it the final distance into your home. Just checked mine. Bought the Bighorn Classic 5928 and paid about $500 for it last spring. See it know online for $750. Maybe they gone on sale periodically.

Just a thought. The more options you can consider the better informed you will be.

Regards

Flatbush Kid

Just buy all the safe you can buy. Also the BIGGEST that you can possibly afford. You eventually will run out of room. and that's no joke. You will use it for much more than guns, and that all takes space. Mine is so full that I would have to sell something in order to put anything else in. There's lots of things that you will want to put in there, that makes a good fire rating very necessary, and I recommend it highly.

Check into the used market also, as there are great values out there too.

RBK

I've been looking at gun safes recently as well. I don't know if you've got an Academy near where you live, but here's two that fill the bill on size and budget that I found at their online site. I've actually looked at one of them yesterday at my local store while picking up some other gear.

Gun Safe #1

Gun Safe #2

Take a good hard look at Cannon, they have a life time no questions asked guaranty. Had one stolen from trailer last year when it was recovered the handle was broken off the electronic key pad was gone. They tried to use some kind of grinder but could not open it. They did manage to cut out the bottom to find the safe was empty.

Cannon replaced it with the current model which is a upgrade to the one we had at no cost to us including shipping.

They required a police report and a couple of pictures of safe. The replacement came in about 3 weeks total time.

Great customer service.

Bighorn

Howdy Saville,

You may want to check out believe it or not Costco online. I bought a gunsafe actually from the physical store about 9 months ago. Is a "Bighorn Classic". Often Costco online has a better selection whereas the store itself nearest you may not have the item in stock.

You can arrange delivery to your front door and by that point have your pards ready to move it the final distance into your home. Just checked mine. Bought the Bighorn Classic 5928 and paid about $500 for it last spring. See it know online for $750. Maybe they gone on sale periodically.

Just a thought. The more options you can consider the better informed you will be.

Regards

Flatbush Kid

On Jan. 6th that safe will be on sale for $599.99 at Costco.com it's in the new coupon book we employees get a week ir so before it gets mailed to all the members. You do not need a coupon for this price.

:unsure:

Oooops.

Seems like I kinda didn't count right. At least I had 22 guns right cept those were just handguns. Need to find a place for the other 20 long guns. Seems to me the Rio Brazos Kid mentioned something about getting a BIG safe. Reckon tha's gonna blow my $1300 :unsure:)

BTW thanks for the input.

I was looking at those Bighorn safes. Seem they are not bad.

Saville

Oooops.

Seems like I kinda didn't count right. At least I had 22 guns right cept those were just handguns. Need to find a place for the other 20 long guns. Seems to me the Rio Brazos Kid mentioned something about getting a BIG safe. Reckon tha's gonna blow my $1300 :))

Saville

Everything's good at Costco! :D

:FlagAm:

Oooops.

Seems like I kinda didn't count right. At least I had 22 guns right cept those were just handguns. Need to find a place for the other 20 long guns. Seems to me the Rio Brazos Kid mentioned something about getting a BIG safe. Reckon tha's gonna blow my $1300 :))

Saville

Hmmmm....maybe a pistol safe and a long gun safe? :FlagAm:

I just bought a Liberty safe from Costco, free delivery to my door, $200.00 off. Reg $799.00, paid $599.00. A good deal.

Major Payne :FlagAm:

Oh crap, this is getting out of hand!!

I'm getting married next month and forgot about her rifles and handguns.

Yes, handgun and rifle safes might be the way to go.

Saville

Oh crap, this is getting out of hand!!

I'm getting married next month and forgot about her rifles and handguns.

Yes, handgun and rifle safes might be the way to go.

Saville

Goofing around with a google search of "largest gun safe" and came up with this:

General Gun Safe

....a little over budget :FlagAm: but it has the capacity. Good Luck!

Chick

I have been saving up for a Zanotti. They are modular, but a little pricey, but you can take em apart and move them by yourself.

Last time I checked, they were about 6 month delivery though....Homeland Security had a big order in.

If they have a model that suits your needs, I would suggest a Zanotti. With their modular 1" pinned construction, you never need an army of buddies or heavy equipment to move your safe. You can put your safe in a tight spot, say a closet, out of view from the casual onlooker and it can be moved by yourself (or should I say the individual pieces can be moved). Smithy.

Bought a Winchester 24 rifle safe from Costco 8 months ago. A really nice safe - floor model with a repair needed (took me 20 minutes to fix) and got it for a steal. I use it at work. It is well built, but alas, made in China.

Been reading of lots of house break ins and decided to get a safe to hold all my stuff at home. One big safe was too heavy, so I bought two Cannon safes at Costco, regularly $799 for $599 each, add tax. But shipping to your driveway was included. They are very nice for the price. Are there better safes out there? You bet. But to keep the local thieves out, it will work fine. They are good looking and have a great warranty.

My two hulky/bulky sons got the safes upstairs. I would never have been able to get one large one up there.

They sell similar models at Tractor Supply, but the Costco's are a little taller inside and better to house my longrifles.

MJJ

If ya have a tractor supply in your area check wid them, Here they have Cannon safes and a 36 gun is 999.00 was on sale at CHRISTmas for 699.99 can't beat it. They also run them on sale often during tha year.

RRR

The new Browning safes are amazing. They hold piles of guns and they have the door things that hold a slew of things such as pistols, 10 long guns on the door, and a pile of other things.

Hey Guys,

I am seeing some safe with handgun holders on the inside of the door. Anyone know if this kind of arrangement can be an "add-on" by me. If I could get 15 or so handguns on the door I might be able to get by with the Bighorn 51 gun safe. Or two of the smaller ones.

Never thought this was going to turn into such a hassle :FlagAm:

Saville

30+ years ago I had friend that lived in Rhode Island who had the best gun safe I ever saw his whole gun room was his safe He had bought the vault from a bank that folded the vault was marked I think Moisler or something like that and he got it for its scrap price but the cost to move and install it Was quite high; He never would tell me how much; he said that it dated from the 1920s and Was the builders top of the line model at the time(1920s) he also said that the builders were still in business and he had hired them to do the installation and recommissioning of the thing and its features ( things like time locks and something he called I think a 'relocker' but it was many years ago and memory fades as best I can recall the door looked to be about a foot and a half thick.

I have thought from time to time that a safe from say a large jewlers that was going out of business might be had for a reasonable price and would provide reasonable protection.. though I expect the costs to move something that big and heavy might be a problem but something that looked like it came out of a Wells Fargo Express office in the 1890s with proper painting and gilding would be fun.

Cheers

Windy

don't know what part of the country you hale from but I've got 3 "bear"safes out of Oklahoma city. drove to the factory and picked it up. driving was Much cheaper than dilivery. my "new" safe is 36x22x60 and ran 900.00 plus fuel to go get it. I have one 1oz gold coin worth about 500.00 more than the safe. haveing a safe is great piece of mind. just shop around Costco , Academy and Tractor supply are all good places to shop. Don't be afraid to ask if it's the best they can do on the price as sometimes they will negociate!

I found some TL 30 jewerly safes when a jewerly store was going out of business, They cost around $16,000.00 new and I bought a number of them for $1,200 each. They are serious safes and weight around 4500 pounds empty. I have found better jewerly safes at safe stores and some are very cheap but well made. Along with the safes I also have an alarm systen tied to each safe.

Also I may suggest gun insurance and Collectors Insurance has it at a very good price. You can pull Collectors Insurance up on the net.

Your Your pard Texas Man

Guess i'll save up and get this one.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...〈=en-US

Yep. Those are the one's I got. For the money, a pretty good safe. They are almost the same as the Cannons sold at Tractor Supply, but the dimensions are an inch different. Costco delivers, Tractor Supply you have to go to the store and pick them up.

I am very happy with them so far.

MJJ

The wife got me the one from Tractor Supply, mentioned by RRR, for Christmas and the guys just got it delivered this morning. WOW that is a heavy whopper and now I gots to get it moved into its position. Since I aint as young, strong or big an ugly as RRR I will have to find a pallet jack to get it up on coaster dollys to get it in place. The real brain teaser is how I am going to lift 600lbs off the dolly and pallet to sit the safe down on the floor????

The wife got me the one from Tractor Supply, mentioned by RRR, for Christmas and the guys just got it delivered this morning. WOW that is a heavy whopper and now I gots to get it moved into its position. Since I aint as young, strong or big an ugly as RRR I will have to find a pallet jack to get it up on coaster dollys to get it in place. The real brain teaser is how I am going to lift 600lbs off the dolly and pallet to sit the safe down on the floor????

Cribbing and a lever is your friend here a tool rental place should have a movers lever a long lever with quite broad foot and wheels at the fulcrum

but do not take any chances!

as I get older the option of hiring a rigger to come deal with it for me looks better and better

Cheers

Windy

Howdy Folks....Buckshot right on track. I have the same safe marked Winchester

and it's a dandy, I paid around $587 several years ago and now they have one

at SAMS for $650.oo ish.....same safe different name on it I recon. It's fire

rated to.

Happy trails and Happy New Years to all.

See ya next year...

QDG

Ask a thief :FlagAm:

My local gunshop suggested that if you need a larger safe to buy two smaller safes, set them side by side and bolt them together from the inside. It will weight more than one large compareable safe and can be unbolted and moved easier (like into a basement down steps). They can be acquired as needed so as not to have a large expence at one time. Most have S&G locks and you can obtain a key (safe must be open) and change the locks to the same combination if you like. If you have the key you can change combinations to one you like or change if you feel compromised at will. Combinations are not that hard to change with the key.

CC

Cavedog, I am thinking of bolting my old small safe to the new one. In my scenario the small one will gt gutted and somehow redesigned into a pistol safe. I have several ideas but nothing firm yet for the method. A couple of friends have volunteered to come over and help me out with moving the new safe. HMMM, seems like I always lose a friend or two after these type projects, even though I try to be a really nice supervisor???

Archived