SASS Wire Forum

Gun Blueing Products?

Rance - SASS # 54090

I've used Birchwood Casey gun blueing in the past... it's of course a liquid and I don't care much for the finished product..

Thinking of ordering a different cold blueing product from Brownell's..

I'm not thinking of blueing an entire gun.. just touch up... although if I wanted to do a complete reblue I could..

Choices I'm thinkin' of that they offer:

Oxpho-Blue cream,

Dicropan T-4 cream,

44/40 cream...

Which one would you recommend from your previous experiences... Why?

Rance :FlagAm:

Hopein' you'll do some thinkin' fer me ;)

I've had good luck with 44/40, but I've also had acceptable results with Birchwood Casey. For either, I like to heat the part a little before applying it, up to about 200 degrees Farenheit.. It seems to make the bluing darker, and make it "set" a little better.

I recently reblued a rifle barrel. First pass was with 44-40 and I found it to be very aggressive. Got done with the job, put the gun back in the safe, and a week later it was turning orange. The process wouldn't stop despite my best efforts to neutralize it.

Did a restrip, and based on Wire advice used the Oxpho Blue liquid. Got much better results. Very even coloring, easy to use, and on the whole turned out pretty good.

I have tried the paste blues in the past, but found them to be inconsistent in their coverage, and the finished job looked blotchy.

I've always had good luck with BC. It does work better if you buff between coats and apply several. I keep it on hand for touch up, and even used it to blue a complete muzzle loader Kentucky rifle that I built from a kit. That took a lot of buffing and several coats, but turned out real nice.

http://shootersolutions.com/

I've had success using this product. I know that there are a number of good ones out there. From my experience, 90% of the finished job is in the preparation. When you think that it is ready to blue.... do it again!

I use a 36" peice of plasitic rain gutter with the ends glued on as a reservoir to work over, and then to rinse. Then oil it real good and wrap it in oily rags for a few days.

Snakebite

I just finished a pistol working with BC Perma blue. I'm looking for a better product. It's functional but certainly not pretty. Hours in prep, multiple coats and it's thin and splotchy.

I just finished a pistol working with BC Perma blue. I'm looking for a better product. It's functional but certainly not pretty. Hours in prep, multiple coats and it's thin and splotchy.

Super Blue will give you a richer (blacker) finish than Perma Blue and you can buff with 0000 steel wool to even out the finish.

Rance - The paste I used was the BC product. I wasn't impressed with it all. It was thin, and really not much better than their liquid.

The Oxpho paste / creme might be different. Reviewers on the Brownells site rave about it, so it might be a good choice. Since it's not all that expensive, ordering one liquid and one paste and then experimenting on a piece of scrap metal to see which works better is an option.

One point about ordering bluing chemicals is you get hit with the HazMat fee regardless of how much you order.

I didn't pay any Hazmat fee on my last order a couple months back. I believe that there is only a Hazmat fee if you have it shipped by Air.

Snakebite

Archived