SASS Wire Forum

Another "What if post"

Mack Hacker, #60477

This is a questoon I was forced to consider about a week ago. What if all your CAS gear was suddenly gone(theft, fire, flood etc) and you were properly insured? At your competition level, category, etc, what would be your starting set of match guns for a do-over?

And no, I just had to consider it, not execute it. Thank you Hamilton VFD.

A Codymatic '73 short rifle (the 16" model) 45lc with the saddle stock.

A pair of CC/blued 1875 Remington 7 1/2" revolvers in 45lc.

A Remington 1882 hammer double fully restored and race ready.

All of the above with Willy McCoy's beautiful hand checkering in my personal patern.

Rossi 92 in .357 slicked up by me

Pair of Uberti model P's in .357 Would rather old model Vaquero's, but for the money I'd probably have to start with the Uberti's

Baikal double trigger SXS

If money were no object I'd make different choices, but if I had to start over out of my pocket this is probably how I would go.

7.5" GWII, 45 cal.

20" Uberti 73, .45 cal. w/ straight stock

TTN hammered double, 12 ga.

Kirkpatrick leather

Dillon 650 w/all the bells 7 whistles

If I needed to economize, a Rossi 24" 92 in .45 cal.

Just what I have now.

1866 Carbine. I'd take a short rifle if the price was right.

Multiple Pietta 1860 Armys

Baikal SxS. I'd take a TTN if the price was right.

Then the time to do all of the tuning and updating I have done on my current set.

And a big batch of Texas Tacos and acouple of bottles of Powers to deaden the pain.

I don't see what I would change.

A Codymatic 20" 73 in 357mag. (with the stock cut straight)

A pair of 357 GWII's Doug Turnbull CCH - Springs changed and minor polishing.

Winchester 97 with some polishing.

Basic double loop shotgun belt - With a flared holster Buscadero rig.

If I thought my equipment was holding me back - I would change it now - I wouldn't wait until some event forced me to purchase again.

Unfortunately, I know the only thing that holds me back is the fat guy the leather wraps around - can't blame the equipment.

Well, the insurance company would be replacing those items and so would I. A pair of Ruger Bisley Vaquero's, a Rossi 1892, and a Stoeger SXS with an IGA 1887 copy for backup. Smithy.

Ruger Pistols, likely Blackhawks in 357, 4 5/8 inch barrels worked over by Wes Flowers-3 or 4 ea

Uberti Mfg 73 short rifle straight stock with short stroke and all the bells and whistles-two each

Ithaca SKB-with all the gunsmithing possible-2 ea

Kirkpatrick Longhunter rig and shotgun belt

I like to have a backup set of guns identical to main match guns. Has worked well over the years.

Ruger Bisley's .357 with just a basic action job.

73 with SS kit from C&I .357

SKB...

This is what I shoot now.

Pistols have just basic action job.

73 has SS kit put in a pard garage.

SKB done by Shotguner

Now IF, I had extra money.

I would have C&I do the rifle.

And might have a half cock put in the pistols.

Can not get a Shotgunner SG no more. But there are others to get an SKB.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

a pair of Ruger Blackhawks in .357, a Codymatic 18" '73 trapper in .357, a Winchester or Norinco 97

WI nobody ever answered these threads? Impossible...somebody always takes the bait....so did I!!!!

I would go for what I use now: Colts in 357, Uberti 1873 Short Deluxe rifle in same, Stoeger, 1887 and 1897

Happy New Year to all

DD

More than anything I would like to try a different caliber. I shoot 45's but if starting over I might research it and change to 44-40 because I don't like the blow back from 45's.

CPK

I'd go with what I have now

RNVs SS 357

TTN hammered double

Marlin 357 slicked up by Jimmy Spurs

While I'd like to have a codymatic 73 and a pair of long hunter SASS RNVs, and a hammerless shotgun, I like what I have now enough to do it again without paying more for other things. Besides, if insurance was having to pay to replace my SASS guns, I imagine I'd need every penny for other things besides getting "upgraded" replacements.

Grizz

edit, now if we're talking some major windfall (lottery win, Bill Gates realizing I'm his long lost son, or whatever) , a set of the upgraded guns would be early purchases.

I shoot a pair of big Vaqs, a baikal sxs and a Marlin now. If I had to replace it all, I might try a 73 this time, not sure though, but otherwise it'd all stay the same. The reason I didn't go to a 73 when I fleshed out the current compliment of guns is at that time, the 73 wouldn't handle the C45S cartridge. It can now.

Sorry to hear you had a fire. Ya'll OK?

Yeah, neighbor decided to burn trash during a burn ban and torched about 40 acres. It got right up to my property line but was stopped there. If it had crossed the fence, we'd have lost it all. I had evacuated my granddaugter driving the PU with my boat behind. I opened the safe and threw everything in the back seat that said Browning or Colt on it.

All is well now.

I didn't answer my own question.

5.5" Colts in 45 w/ Bob James action jobs

Browning 22" 12ga by Ol No 4

45 cal 73, 20" short rifle by Jimmy Spurs (Unless I could get Lassiter to build me a Pedersoli Lightning)

I would also consider changing to 44-40.

1st, I rarely shoot reginnal or state matches, so, consider that in my reply. Time is just not available to me given the work I do. That said, I am not very competitive, so I play to have fun, not really to win. I would probably have, depending upon funds:

- a pair of 3rd gen 44-40 Colts w/ 5 1/2 bbls (maybe USFA but probably not) OR 3 Uberti 1873 Cattleman in 44-40

- an 1887 by Coyote Cap and an old Stevens SxS both in 12 gauge

- a Uberti 1873 rifle (Winchester type) in 44-40.

Basically what I have now. :unsure:

My CAS irons would remain the same:

• 2 SS 5.5" Roooger Bisleys in .357. Just might go with the NMV instead of my OMVs.
  • 1866 Yellowboy Short Rifle in White, in .38 Special. I'd order one just like it through my tears.
  • 1897 Chinchester, Sixth Gen or greater

All would get the full Jim Bowie treatment.

Although, I'd thankfully upgrade my leather to a full-up completion Mernickle, Kirkpatrick, Blocker, etc. rig.

Wild Bunch?

• 'taint nuthin' better than my SW1911
  • Might - might - get the Trench Broom variant of the 1897. With the 16" bayonet, of course.
  • The 40 cal or above match rifle would be a 20" (instead of 24") 1873 45LC. Without the special wood that causes me to waste so much time carefully laying it down.

And much better leather.

Mack, since you asked the question, sure would be the thing for you to do by summarizing the responses by firearm.

And you can add mine to the summary:

* 2 ea OM RVSSBH's 45 Colt 4 5/8"... only problem ... they only made 2000 Limited Editions in 2000. Plus it took me 2 years to find the 2nd one

* A 1900's era 12ga Damascus external cock shotgun

* A LSI '92 Rossi, 45 Colt

* Another pair of '51 Navy Colts, US Marshall engraved models

As for the '68 NMA's ... plenty to be had

I would stick mostly with what I have now

-2 Cimarron 1858 conversions in .38 SP tuned by Nate Kiowa Jones

-TTN hammered double

-1 1851 Navy (Pietta)

-1 1861 Navy (Pietta)

My rifle I would change up. My Rossie 92 (which I had before starting CAS and will upgrade soon) would be replaced with a 66 in 44-40.

Old Vaqueros, action by Wes Flowers (like I have now)

Stoeger, slicked up (like I have now)

Burgess in .357/.38 (surely to goodness it'll come out soon)

if not

Marlin - Spur special (like I have now)

I'd go with the equipment that I have now. only that I would change calibers from 45 Colt to 38-40.

I'd take a long look at a pair of AWA Ultimates worked over by Shotgun Boogie.

Coffee

Archived