SASS Wire Forum

Schofield or Top break S&W Model 3 pistols need help gunsmiths

Pards,

starting to slowly buy my stuff again. I am looking at buying a set of these pistols in .45 colt and would like some recomendations for gunsmiths that slick these type of pistols up?

Thanks

CYC

CyC In the not to recent past this would have been a easy recommendation,Happy Trails/Bill English of The Smith Shop would be my response. Hap is not taking any new work,a name I have heard mentioned is Allen Horton. You might try PM ing Sixgun Shorty for a recommendation of a smith. Good Luck Sgt. Jake

Pards,

starting to slowly buy my stuff again. I am looking at buying a set of these pistols in .45 colt and would like some recomendations for gunsmiths that slick these type of pistols up?

Thanks

Do you plan on having your shooters fixed up for smokeless only? or Do you intend on shooting some Black Powder out of any of the three and having the gunsmith address the same? I've always wanted one of those Smiths but since I only shoot Black and I've been told that it was a bad mix with those types of guns, I've held off. Smithy.

Do you plan on having your shooters fixed up for smokeless only? or Do you intend on shooting some Black Powder out of any of the three and having the gunsmith address the same? I've always wanted one of those Smiths but since I only shoot Black and I've been told that it was a bad mix with those types of guns, I've held off. Smithy.

CC,

just call Hap trails (aka Bill English) he will do the guns if he is able.

Vance

If you're talking about the Uberti Schofield or topbreak models, you can make them easier to shoot yourself by hourglassing the mainsprings. I bought a pair that had truck-like springs in them and are much better now. I could make them lighter yet, but they work fine now.

I'd recommend you contact "The Ottaway Smith" AKA: Ron Snover at rwsnover@comcast.net or 423-234-0184. For a full action job on a Schofield, he can't be beat. Ron can also eliminate the problem where the gun won't cock if your finger is touching the trigger.

A full action job on a Schofield isn't cheap, but it will really improve the "user friendly" curb appeal.

Coffinmaker

Be careful of how light you make the mainspring on a #3 Smith breaktop design. The heavy mainspring pushes the hammer under the latch, much like a Remington Rolling block, to help keep the latch shut under firing recoil of the cartridge. Too light a mainspring can cause the breaktop to shoot open. The other latch type, as in the Russian or Laramie has a notch in the latch and a projection on the hammer to lock it down, for the same reason.

Archived